Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading various threads about some cars going into limp mode, I was thinking "Should I pack a check OBD2 scanner?" I have a Giulia Ti made in 06/2017.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Yes, because if you have it you wont need it. :)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Second yes. Do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where is the ODB2 port on the Giulia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Where is the ODB2 port on the Giulia?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lower Left hand side of the dash, just above the hood release.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
What reader would you recommend and/or avoid?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Got the Autel Autolink 319 myself, works well for engine management issues (there are no obd readers yet that support all of the additional processing units on the giulia)
I like having a simple single device myself, without additional hassle of 'phones, bluetooth etc.

https://www.auteltech.com/Code%20Readers&Code%20Scanners/358.jhtml

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I use the Dealers>:) Seriously, what exactly do these units do other than tell you codes? Can they make adjustments to rectify some of the codes?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Lower Left hand side of the dash, just above the hood release.
Chris,
Perhaps you can answer a few questions about this topic.
Being one of the many that are still waiting for our MY18s to be delivered, I do not have first hand experience with the Giulia. I have been reading many posts about the attributes and ails of these cares. One of the issues that I have read, is the one about the Giulia going into some sort of "limp home mode"(limited engine / transmission performance mode). I have read that this can be triggered by applying the brake while applying the gas while the car is in motion.
Is this true?
Does it set a code and the CEL?
Does this put the car in a limp home mode?
If the car is in a limp home mode, for any reason,
Does using a code reader and erasing the code put the car back in normal operation? Immediately?
Thanks,

·
Vendor
619 Posts
I use the Dealers>:) Seriously, what exactly do these units do other than tell you codes? Can they make adjustments to rectify some of the codes?
Yes they give you the ability to clear and read the code.

Allows you to determine if the next few minutes induce panic or if its a silly nonsense code. :)

I travel with the Autel 319, instead of lugging my laptop and cables around.

Reactions: alfa55

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes they give you the ability to clear and read the code.

Allows you to determine if the next few minutes induce panic or if its a silly nonsense code. :)

I travel with the Autel 319, instead of lugging my laptop and cables around.
I love my QV and have had no issues yet but I can't believe we have to buy decoders just in case, I certainly won't be telling any of my friends that my beautiful Alfa requires a debugging tool or else I'll never hear the end of it :grin2:

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Chris,
Perhaps you can answer a few questions about this topic.
Being one of the many that are still waiting for our MY18s to be delivered, I do not have first hand experience with the Giulia. I have been reading many posts about the attributes and ails of these cares. One of the issues that I have read, is the one about the Giulia going into some sort of "limp home mode"(limited engine / transmission performance mode). I have read that this can be triggered by applying the brake while applying the gas while the car is in motion.
Is this true?
Does it set a code and the CEL?
Does this put the car in a limp home mode?
If the car is in a limp home mode, for any reason,
Does using a code reader and erasing the code put the car back in normal operation? Immediately?
Thanks,
Yes applying the brake and gas pedal will force the car into a "limp" mode killing/limiting the throttle until you restart the car.

Its a safety mechanism in place from AR, you an blame the "Prius" effect for that.

Generally with many small hiccups the code reader can erase the codes, pending or permanent. If its a code that continuously pops up, bring the car in for service and have the issue corrected.

Reactions: RVAAF

·
Vendor
619 Posts
PHP:
I love my QV and have had no issues yet but I can't believe we have to buy decoders just in case, I certainly won't be telling any of my friends that my beautiful Alfa requires a debugging tool or else I'll never hear the end of it :grin2:
The majority of these "quirks" are being worked out, and with each software update being weeded out. This car was developed from paper to working model in 3 years, which is half the average time it takes a manufacturer to release car. Mercedes, BMW, Audi all have the same issues initially. Now if issues continue to occur 3 years after a model release, my story will change a bit. Its imperative that you specify when receiving the vehicle from the dealer that ALL updates have been performed.

Reactions: RVAAF

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Back in the stone-age days...from 1995 to 2000:grin2: I used to carry a PEAKE code reader for my M3 & M5...and the little code book as well.
not exactly uncommon especially with cars of this bent...but frankly usually just us silly gear-heads would do it...
I believe/hope that the MY18 cars will not be experiencing the same software issues that were present in the first year run cars...
keep your fingers crossed:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well if i would carry one around, it would've some additional features like this one
but if an error would occur, in most cases i woulden't be able to fix it anyway, if the car is struck i call the tow truck, if the car is in limp mode i would drive it like that to the next dealership tbh this is why i see it obsolete i got warranty for these occassions :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would, just to clear annoying errors which do not require REAL action. Used it all the time on my BMW, a couple of times in 4800 miles in my Quad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts