Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's a well known issue on 2017/2019 cars that remote start will fail below about 35 degrees F.
A corrective TSB was issued for 2020's and later, but nothing for us 'early adopters'.
Update: When I drove the car later in the day (it was 20 degrees at that point) the auto stop warning light was gone. This morning when I went to move the car, it was on again. It was 7 degrees last night so my assumption is that this is COLD COLD (sub 10 degrees) weather related.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
908 Posts
You’re probably good if light is only coming on in extreme cold. I am surprised you would get warning light through (it should just not engage, but not throw warning). Could just be it’s so cold that even with a newer battery it’s struggling and just goes to show how sensitive the car actually is on an electronics standpoint. I wonder if the AGM batteries would be better for this?

Reactions: MegaGrip

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ahhh, OK. Can't speak to the Start/Stop function as I have it disabled via one of those defeat harnesses. Haven't had to deal with SS for many many months.

·
Registered
2019 Gulia QV
43 Posts
i believe it is a built in feature that the start/stop does not work when outside temps drop. I thought read they did this because if temps are low enough that he rear defrost comes on by itself and they didn't want the car shutting off with it on due to the draw it would put on the battery. I could be totally wrong of course seeing we rarely see temps below 35deg where I live.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no problems with remote start when it's cold out, upper teens here. Used to sale Alfas at the dealership and every once and a while that "auto start stop disabled" would show up, including on my Giulia. My experience is to shut the car off, open door, shut door and start again. If I recall, the technicians would say sometimes it happens cause of a low battery. Which can be tied to being cold.
Italian cars and electronics...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gosh what a bummer your start / stop isn't working. That feature that just adds to the Alfa driving experience and contributes so much to the planet. One of my favorite features, ahhhhhh... oh but can you please tell me how you got it to fail ? You know ... just in case it happens to my car

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gosh what a bummer your start / stop isn't working. That feature that just adds to the Alfa driving experience and contributes so much to the planet. One of my favorite features, ahhhhhh... oh but can you please tell me how you got it to fail ? You know ... just in case it happens to my car

·
Registered
48 Posts
Agreed, it was zero this last weekend in NH and auto start was fine. I did get my first low battery level warning, but that went away and hasn’t been back in a few days, cold related perhaps?

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Ti Q4
13 Posts
Edit: Just noticed that Wingler already provided this answer as the first response... :D

Had a similar observation with a 2021 - dropping kids off at school earlier this week, S/S was not working (no dash indicator) with temps in the teens. Past couple days, temps were back up in the 30s and functionality returned. Just checked the manual and I believe the culprit was the first bullet below - so not exactly based on external temp, but rather internal temp not having yet reached AUTO setting:
Font Screenshot Number Document

Also found these interesting:
Font Number Screenshot Document Circle
Smile Font Rectangle Circle Paper

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I Agree that this start stop thing is a minor problem. But here is what drives me crazy about this whole situation

1) I called my dealer service 3 times and left 3 messages all of which have not been returned
2) The start stop thing has often been linked to other electrical issues and my anxiety that this car is messed up is driving me crazy
3) This just adds to the overall anxious experience I have as an owner of this car and makes all the "great driving dynamics" null and void

And this is my main issue with owning this car. Knowing that I have essentially ONE option for maintenance at the dealer, they are frequently overbooked and appointments take months to get, they are incredibly expensive and practically unresponsive. This is the fourth strange issue I have had with the car in 8 months of ownership (dash screen went full blank for a day, AC stopped working on a long drive, USB stereo clicking/buzz noise when plugged in but not present on Bluetooth, Sunroof failure) and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This car is quite spectacular to look at and drive but since day one I am and have been anxious that something is going to break. Every noise and quirk is not met with adoration but fear that the car is fucked up. I feel like if I own it for longer then I will learn to trust the car more but honestly I just don't think this is the car for me and I am actively considering a trade. It isn't just the car its the whole experience topped off by a recent $300 oil change which to me just felt like robbery/price gouging (minimal to no private options leaves basically the dealer). The next fear is that at 45k this car in the untrusted MY2017 is about to drop off a literal depreciation cliff that will make it impossible to sell without a huge loss... so if I do not move it now I just as well might be stuck with it.

Def feel trapped and say what you will about me but I feel am the customer that Alfa should be considering (young professional, decent job and CAR enthusiast) yet their preowned experience is quite scary... I get that this car is likely better suited for a multi car ownership situation but this thing isn't a lambo or Porsche... its a sub 30k used sedan... its the same price used as a v6 Camry yet I feel like you need to have a lot more resources to make ownership a joy...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think you described the situation for many owners very well and I have similar anxiety about something about to break at any time that just doesn't happen with my other cars. It's a tradeoff only you can decide is worth it for the benefits. Now is better than ever to sell if that is your decision. I had an offer from carvana that increased $1k in just the last 2 months. Vroom was even higher.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think you described the situation for many owners very well and I have similar anxiety about something about to break at any time that just doesn't happen with my other cars. It's a tradeoff only you can decide is worth it for the benefits. Now is better than ever to sell if that is your decision. I had an offer from carvana that increased $1k in just the last 2 months. Vroom was even higher.
Just traded my Alfa for the 2022 GR86 in Neptune blue. Two years of service a warranty and dealer network. I’m a recent grad student graduate. Need a bit more reliabitlty and less anxiety.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Congrats, although you probably won't get much love here. Just curious if you ever got quotes from carvana, vroom etc, and how it compared to your tradein.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
What a waste by the people who wasted their time either responding or complaining. Good luck with your Toyota with two years of service a warranty and dealer network. If you can't handle some reliability and anxiety as a recent grad student graduate just get ready for the next 50 years! A Toyota?

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
What a waste by the people who wasted their time either responding or complaining. Good luck with your Toyota with two years of service a warranty and dealer network. If you can't handle some reliability and anxiety as a recent grad student graduate just get ready for the next 50 years! A Toyota?
That’s a bit harsh I think. Lots of people have too much going on in their lives to put up with crap from cars and car dealers, especially if it’s their only means of transport. I love my Alfa, and I’m on number two, but if it starts shitting on me, it’s history (and I’m a former Triumph owner).

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
That’s a bit harsh I think. Lots of people have too much going on in their lives to put up with crap from cars and car dealers, especially if it’s their only means of transport. I love my Alfa, and I’m on number two, but if it starts shitting on me, it’s history (and I’m a former Triumph owner).
agreed... honestly its shit like this within this community that has made me love this car a bit less. I was NEVER critical of the car and in fact I have loved it and the driving experience. As I mentioned earlier, its the whole experience, the cost of maintenance, the crappy dealer service and network and the fact that owning this as an ONLY car is not the easiest thing to do. I am honestly mostly scared of a swift brutal depreciation cliff. I have an RWD base version of this car in MY2017 and I bought it for only $26500 (I owe 19K)... that was a affordable choice at my income category... but its all the other stuff that's not just the car that concerns me. 10 years from now I would grab a giulia and have a blast with it but right now where I am at it sucks to have this continued stress about MY Specific giulia 46k miles 2017 undesired model year and make... and I could not and would not replace mine with a different newer model... not in this used market. I was able to drive an amazing car for a year and then trade it for an under MSRP brand new car... never claimed to be a true Alfaissi just a fan of cars... but this one wasn't the best for me. I guess that warrants an attack from the resident defender of all things Alfa. I am also appreciative of all the responses and took the time to both thank those that did even when it had nothing to do with my original post content. whatever...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Congrats, although you probably won't get much love here. Just curious if you ever got quotes from carvana, vroom etc, and how it compared to your tradein.
So carvana offered me $23,400, VRoom offered $23,900, Cargurus offered $20,500 and Carmax offered $23100... The dealership offered $23500 for a trade and in CT you get tax credit on the value of the trade at 6.35% so technically I got $23500 + $1492 tax credit = $24992 total trade value. My car was a base 2017 Q2 with sport interior and exterior package, none of the drivers assists, the OG small infotainment screen, no heated leather anything, no nav and black leather with Misano blue, yellow calipers. The RWD in CT is scary for most so this car is tough to move privately. I had initially traded a Veloster N that I bought in 2020 for 23k (pre covid market craziness) for $27k towards this Giulia. In the end it cost me a couple grand to drive for a year and for most of it I was very very happy. Just wasnt the car for me

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
@MegaGrip, I'm sorry if you felt attacked and I'm sorry if my comment sounded harsh. For those two, I apologize. Your title thread was misleading and your 2 days later action gave me the unfortunate opportunity to talk shit. My fault.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@MegaGrip, I'm sorry if you felt attacked and I'm sorry if my comment sounded harsh. For those two, I apologize. Your title thread was misleading and your 2 days later action gave me the unfortunate opportunity to talk shit. My fault.
Apology accepted. I had no intentions going into the post to trade the car it just worked out where I got a good trade and a brand new car under MSRP (good luck on that in this mark up heavy market) and I jumped on it. I have been thinking about it for a while mostly because I think for me and where I am in my life now its not the best car for me. The truth is I love it when I am not thinking about it and the other aspects of this car all of which are not the fault of the car itself make ownership for ME a challenge. I come from the tuner scene and never touched an Alfa in the past, I do not have the attachment to this iconic brand that many here do.. I also do not really have the cash flow to hang with this car. For the record, I traded this for a car that by all means is universally loved across most corners of the car community (GR86 sec gen) and I look forward to the fun I will have. In the end I got to own one of the best sport saloons on the market and did not walk away burned or broke. I also am not some shit head 20 yo who just wrapped up grad school. I went back to further my second career and was initially drawn to the giulia because I wanted to be seen as having more than I do... in the end I guess its just not the right car for me. I appreciate all the guidance and support I have received thru this forum for the most part it has been a positive experience.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Apology accepted. I had no intentions going into the post to trade the car it just worked out where I got a good trade and a brand new car under MSRP (good luck on that in this mark up heavy market) and I jumped on it. I have been thinking about it for a while mostly because I think for me and where I am in my life now its not the best car for me. The truth is I love it when I am not thinking about it and the other aspects of this car all of which are not the fault of the car itself make ownership for ME a challenge. I come from the tuner scene and never touched an Alfa in the past, I do not have the attachment to this iconic brand that many here do.. I also do not really have the cash flow to hang with this car. For the record, I traded this for a car that by all means is universally loved across most corners of the car community (GR86 sec gen) and I look forward to the fun I will have. In the end I got to own one of the best sport saloons on the market and did not walk away burned or broke. I also am not some shit head 20 yo who just wrapped up grad school. I went back to further my second career and was initially drawn to the giulia because I wanted to be seen as having more than I do... in the end I guess its just not the right car for me. I appreciate all the guidance and support I have received thru this forum for the most part it has been a positive experience.
Have fun with the GR86.. Its also a good choice for me if i m buying a second car for track day only.. Seems fun car to drive. On ur origainal start stop thing, it was battery. I drive around in Vancouver and under (-2c) start stop disables. Other than that my start stop never work for 2 yrs until finally my dealer changed the battery. I think its not just the voltage u get from the volt meter but also the CCA which the computer is aware of and when it is lower than it should it disables start stop, then the window defogger, and so on. Thats how i know my battery needs changing because my defogger not working. Just now u know abt the battery and the features.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts