Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day! I am asking the hive mind here if I should be worried... I have a 2017 CPO Giulia Q2 Base with the sports interior and exterior pack. 46k and generally runs fine. Before I get started... yes the battery was replaced by the dealership during the CPO process. Now... my problem...

I woke up to this very very cold morning (9 degrees overnight). Had to move my car to let the lady out and used the remote start function. I get into the car and the yellow warning light for the "start/stop" function is on and it says unavailable. I know from a convenience standpoint this is probably a benefit (turn this shit off every time I drive) but I am also aware that when this warning comes on more stuff is usually right around the corner AND its generally associated with battery health... that being said this is the second time that this light has come on and in BOTH cases it was particularly cold out (below 20f on both days).

The car in under warranty and should I make a call to service to report this problem or is it potentially associated with a VERY cold battery and just move on?

Would love some input

Also has anyone had issues with their door gaskets falling apart or dry rotting? is this a warranty issues?

BL

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I know auto start/stop won't function if it is very cold, but I am not sure if it will trigger the warning light under that circumstance.

engine cold, very cold outside temps, battery not charged, drivers door not shut, seat belt not fastened, car in reverse, auto climate has not achieved desired cabin temp, during first period of driving and steering angle beyond threshold are all conditions where the ASS may not function.

Reactions: hownowcb

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,665 Posts
If the climate control is still trying to warm up the interior, it will not allow auto ss to engage. Same goes for summer and AC.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the climate control is still trying to warm up the interior, it will not allow auto ss to engage. Same goes for summer and AC.
very interesting! We have have some cold days and hot ones and I never experienced this besides the painfully cold two days. good to learn about this though!

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's a well known issue on 2017/2019 cars that remote start will fail below about 35 degrees F.
A corrective TSB was issued for 2020's and later, but nothing for us 'early adopters'.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a well known issue on 2017/2019 cars that remote start will fail below about 35 degrees F.
A corrective TSB was issued for 2020's and later, but nothing for us 'early adopters'.
Good to know! Sounds like the super cold is the main culprit. Just as long as this isn't indicating further electrical issues. Thanks for the heads up !

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I imagine other brands with start/stop do the same when really cold but don't light up a warning on the dash.
Yeah, it is kind of disconcerting since the yellow warning light indicates a system failure—

This telltale will illuminate to report a Stop/Start system failure.
Contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible to have the failure
eliminated.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it is kind of disconcerting since the yellow warning light indicates a system failure—

This telltale will illuminate to report a Stop/Start system failure.
Contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible to have the failure
eliminated.
is this quote from the manual ?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
is this quote from the manual ?
Afraid so 🙁

I got that message once on my 2017 right after the dealer replaced the starter relay. I think the fix was to replace the BCM.

Reactions: MegaGrip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Disengage the auto start/stop (default on start is off rather than on) by getting the module from Alfissimo. Then if you need it in a traffic jam/city driving you can turn it on. It takes literally 2 minutes to install.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disengage the auto start/stop (default on start is off rather than on) by getting the module from Alfissimo. Then if you need it in a traffic jam/city driving you can turn it on. It takes literally 2 minutes to install.
takes two seconds to push the button. no way I am paying for something that I can do with the push of a button. Plus there is something that is messing with the cars electornics to bypass this thing sooooo I am gunna leave it alone. but appreciate the suggestion :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hear ya, but can't be bothered pushing another button every time I start the car. Definitely a first world problem 🤣. Good luck getting yours sorted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I'm from Europe and recently retrofitted remote start on my 2017 Giulia. Before having this feature I already noticed my Start/Stop was not functioning properly (which I didn't mind). Also received a bad battery warning already once, but car did start normally and it was not cold yet.

Last weekend car was parked outside and it was around 0 degrees Celsius (32 F). Remote started the car, drove away but after a couple of meters different warning lights started to blink including start / stop not available and check engine message. Car was not driving properly anymore, so turned around and decided to replace the battery asap. Did the battery swap today with an AGM one. Recharged the battery completely before fitting it in the car. During test drive start/stop was still not working. Probably it is still because of the cold weather. I don't mind about not having start/stop, but colder days are coming and hopefully the rear window and mirror heating are functioning properly (did not have to use these features since I bought it last summer).

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm still using original battery and SS doesn't usually kick in on its own unless battery is fresh off a charge, but I almost never get a warning light. I got the ASS unavailable warning light once when the battery was very low and it struggled to crank. So I think a very low battery and cold temp will likely cause it along with other random errors, but I also suspect the starter relay or other related modules could be showing early signs of failure. My experience with warranty on other issues is that unless they can duplicate it on site or have an error code, they won't do anything. I would make use of warranty if you can, but otherwise keeping it charged with a slow charger would probably help until something really fails.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Nah, my 2017 and 2018 both remote started at 30 degrees below.
It would fail 5% of the time though.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My '18 remote start works perfectly in cold temps. The low this morning was about 0F and the high temp today was only about 13F and not a problem at all with the remote start. When it's cold like it has been I use the remote start a lot so the engine can warm before I drive off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My '18 remote start works perfectly in cold temps. The low this morning was about 0F and the high temp today was only about 13F and not a problem at all with the remote start. When it's cold like it has been I use the remote start a lot so the engine can warm before I drive off.
Nah, my 2017 and 2018 both remote started at 30 degrees below.
It would fail 5% of the time though.
My remote start works 100% fine. It was the Auto Start Stop function that was disabled when I got into the car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts