Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Supposedly the system adapts to your throttle habits. I was also told that this adaptation can be reset (along with a bunch of other things) by disconnecting the battery temporarily. I do not know for certain that either of these things are true.

If you need more power in a situation just swat the left paddle once or twice, preferably 1-2 seconds before you tap into the power.

Fuel economy is best at the lowest RPM that makes the necessary power. Full throttle at 2000RPM is more efficient than 1/2 throttle at 3000RPM (guestimating that those are about the same amount of power). It is easy to confuse noise with performance.
Except there's turbo lag. So when sitting at 1500 RPM and not upshifting, the torque curve is long and then steep. That's what I'm trying to get around by having the car downshift more readily. Like I said, pulling the left paddle is fine, and it works. I just want the car to be generally more responsive in dynamic mode. That's all.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,737 Posts
Except there's turbo lag. So when sitting at 1500 RPM and not upshifting, the torque curve is long and then steep. That's what I'm trying to get around by having the car downshift more readily. Like I said, pulling the left paddle is fine, and it works. I just want the car to be generally more responsive in dynamic mode. That's all.
Aftermarket time, perhaps? Not particularly satisfying, if you want the car to perform your way straight from the factory, but a reality many acknowledge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Aftermarket time, perhaps? Not particularly satisfying, if you want the car to perform your way straight from the factory, but a reality many acknowledge.
I wish...First, I've leased the car. Second, my car has been very reliable, but concept of have any part of the warranty voided is too scary for me to do.

Like I said, I'm just wondering if this is something I have to deal with because everyone has the same experience. Or, is it something that my car is doing in particular. Or something that other people have already had addressed and fixed. That's really the point of my question. Is there anything that can be done by service, or do I just have to deal with it?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
You can always put it in D-mode manual to make the car do what you want.
What you have described as your want will yield absolutely horrible fuel economy as well as increased noise and wear and tear. Alfa (and other mfgs) have to consider these factors to meet regulations and keep the car and maintenance affordable. Also if you keep the RPMs up the car will exhibit an "on-off" behavior as it will decelerate very quickly when you take your foot off of the accelerator.

The turbo is not running significantly, if at all at low throttle and 3000RPM, so there is still turbo lag albeit less of it due to not needing to rev both the engine and the turbo charger to get things going.

My accelerator pedal has no "click", what were you referencing in your original post? This is throttle and shift by wire there is no "downshift linkage" like on a 1970s vintage car. Perhaps you just need to get used to pushing the accelerator farther to "get going"? You can also get a pedal amplifier to tune the accelerator pedal to behave as you want. The Eurocompulsion unit seems to be pretty programmable/flexible.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
For some reason many people are not aware of the SW feature of ZF trans.....it will instantaneously downshift if you just stab the gas pedal quickly, not floor it, just stab decisivelly and return acccelerator to previous position....it is basically same thing as if pressing left paddle when in Auto....On Audis it would downshift two gears if you quickly stabbed it twice except that it seems to work even faster on Alfa....try it, once you get used to it it becomes very usefull in traffic....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For some reason many people are not aware of the SW feature of ZF trans.....it will instantaneously downshift if you just stab the gas pedal quickly, not floor it, just stab decisivelly and return acccelerator to previous position....it is basically same thing as if pressing left paddle when in Auto....On Audis it would downshift two gears if you quickly stabbed it twice except that it seems to work even faster on Alfa....try it, once you get used to it it becomes very usefull in traffic....
This was the best suggestion I've heard. I tried it on the way in. It's much more intuitive, and doesn't require you pay attention to shifting again, like the paddle does. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
^^ glad it works for you! I am just surprised how many are not aware of this feature considering how long ZF8 has been around in various applications

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Great! I was just going to say that there were 2 things working against you in your experience with the Giulia so far. 1 was the turbo and the other was the throttle position sensor. The TPS is practically the only way for the computer to know how much power you are asking for at any given moment. For the same reason you don't lift off the throttle on an F1 transmission, coming from a manual background, you need to ADD throttle to tell the computer to give you more "stuff." Now grade, rpm, boost, g force and whatnot are probably all being considered as the systems coordinate in the ECU, but the best thing you can do to talk to the computer is finesse the gas pedal. This will require some time to learn how much does what you want. To get a good launch in my 360, I really need to mash the pedal in almost a 2 lobe motion. 1 to push the car into motion, another to ask the clutch to close aggressively and give me good, but not "launch control" power. Especially with ASR off. This actually gives you a better launch because it allows a tiny but of wheel spin and saves slipping the clutch (which is like fingernails on a chalkboard to F1 owners!). Another point I would suggest is get used to the sound now of the rpms and throttle motion that you like. This will help using the paddles. And a third point... remember that the turbo will kick in under load and the computer seems to like to grunt with the turbo as opposed to spool up rpm. It's a new thing for me in the Quad, but makes a lot of sense with those twin 30 psi monsters under the hood ;) Got a good look at a CaliT just this Sunday. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,015 Posts

My accelerator pedal has no "click", what were you referencing in your original post? This is throttle and shift by wire there is no "downshift linkage" like on a 1970s vintage car. Perhaps you just need to get used to pushing the accelerator farther to "get going"? You can also get a pedal amplifier to tune the accelerator pedal to behave as you want. The Eurocompulsion unit seems to be pretty programmable/flexible.
Sorry for the quoting of myself, but I wish to post a correction:

At 95% throttle the pedal in my car does "click". I observed this while playing with using MultiEcuScan to read the throttle position while the engine is not running.

I tend not to notice such things on the road because the difference between 80% throttle and 100% throttle is subtle. Usually if I want that much from the engine I simply stomp the pedal to the floor.

I have observed that holding the throttle past the click for a short while will disable cruise control and also override manual shift gear selection (forced downshift).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you had the T57 update? After getting it I've noticed shift points being much more aggressive and holding longer. It was not a subtle change.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This was the best suggestion I've heard. I tried it on the way in. It's much more intuitive, and doesn't require you pay attention to shifting again, like the paddle does. THANK YOU!!!
I recently started a thread with basically the same complaint. See link below. I guess that’s just how they are programmed unfortunately. Haven’t tried the accelerator stab which I will now. How are you finding D mode these days?

https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/289-alfa-romeo-giulia-general-discussion/41570-slow-downshift-d.html#post709320

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I recently started a thread with basically the same complaint. See link below. I guess that’s just how they are programmed unfortunately. Haven’t tried the accelerator stab which I will now. How are you finding D mode these days?

https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/289-alfa-romeo-giulia-general-discussion/41570-slow-downshift-d.html#post709320
Stabbing at the throttle definitely helps. But the car is just programmed to seek the most efficient gear, no matter what mode you’re in. I will also say that I think the AWD and the RWD have slightly different transmission programming. The RWD feels much sharper on the downshifts. Might be weight, might be programming, might be both.

It’s better if you stab the throttle. But I would I still like to see Alfa reprogram the transmission in Dynamic. The transmission is learning though. So if you drive it in traffic a bunch, you might not be able to teach it to be aggressive more often.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stabbing at the throttle definitely helps. But the car is just programmed to seek the most efficient gear, no matter what mode you’re in. I will also say that I think the AWD and the RWD have slightly different transmission programming. The RWD feels much sharper on the downshifts. Might be weight, might be programming, might be both.

It’s better if you stab the throttle. But I would I still like to see Alfa reprogram the transmission in Dynamic. The transmission is learning though. So if you drive it in traffic a bunch, you might not be able to teach it to be aggressive more often.
Agree I wish there was a bigger difference in terms of transmission programming in D vs N. In all my prior 3 series (e90 335, f30 335, f30 340) sport mode had a more aggressive programming with sensitive throttle response (in a good way), quick 1-2 gear downshifts anytime you want to accelerate, held gears longer, and was quick to lock up torque converter so it was a reasonable substitute for a manual transmission. Seems a shame the Giulia doesn't behave that way in D as it's a waste of a rather potent engine (as far as 4 cylinder turbos go). It's my one gripe with the car. Manual mode allows you to bring out that potential much more. I've been surprised at how quick it can be in manual when it the proper RPM range. I find it hard to do that in D unless I floor it. I also feel as though the torque converter never fully locks up in D. Maybe that's why they gave us such nice paddle shifters. In my daily commute I do have a bit of local driving and when on highway can't always drive aggressively due to volume so maybe that's limiting the kind of learning I'd like. Oh well. I may just have to do more manual shifting in this car.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The transmission does hold higher revs (lower gears) if you sustain relatively high g-forces. As soon as you "calm down", it automatically upshifts and goes in "cruise mode" again.

On tight, winding roads I find it perfect. Maybe on highways or boring, straight roads that doesn't work that well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Just tried this today, awesome tip. Thanks!

·
Vendor
2,120 Posts
This is interesting as I just purchased a Q4. Not in my possession yet. I am guessing there has to be a trans reset that can be done by the user. Such as turning on car to acc. mode, pressing gas pedal down for 10 sec and then letting off and turning off ignition or removing battery lead for 30 min.

I am going to investigate as this could help reset trans to learn your style of driving. Anyone know off hand? Soon enough I will know everything about these like the old ones. ;)

Yes, blipping the throttle will throw the ZF into a lower gear but it must be a quick action.

Good info guys!

Ciao!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts