Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why there is a .5 second delay in D mode when you shift?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Dynamic is less sporty and more "luxurious" than Race mode (on Quads). What model do you have, and has it always done this? The luxurious approach assumes a more comfortable ride with a less aggressive shift mapping. But I could be way off. Hopefully more experienced guys will chime in... Also try shifting at higher rpm. Ferrari F1 transmission, as well as full manuals, shift better a higher rpms when the synchros are spinning faster. But the US Giulia has a ZF torque converter transmission and no clutch plate like on an F1.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dynamic is less sporty and more "luxurious" than Race mode (on Quads). What model do you have, and has it always done this? The luxurious approach assumes a more comfortable ride with a less aggressive shift mapping. But I could be way off. Hopefully more experienced guys will chime in... Also try shifting at higher rpm. Ferrari F1 transmission, as well as full manuals, shift better a higher rpms when the synchros are spinning faster. But the US Giulia has a ZF torque converter transmission and no clutch plate like on an F1.
I do not have the Quad, so I am just curious. I do have to say that the trans does not like low RPMs, and sometimes when it needs to kick down to speed up, it sputters a little, like it has to wake up. I typically use the paddles instead of the gas paddle.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Maybe there is a delay so that you can hit the paddles multiple times to "jump" between gears non-consecutively?
ZF says the transmission can do it. I don't know if the TCU is that smart though.

You might also be able to hold the paddle rather than tap in order to jump to the lowest or highest gear for the speed you are currently traveling.

If my on order-Giulia would get delivered I would try this myself?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Hehe, yeah and it might also be a fluid dynamics effect in the torque converter (am I going crazy?). But if ZF says it can skip gears, this is unlikely. But the the fluid/pressure transfer and the "ring" clutches are how an automatic works. But the Quad transmission is the same as Ti and Base right? It's just the software map that's different? Then it would be the same situation as the Challenge Stradale compared to regular 360s. The hardware can handle it but it was the software that was conservative until the performance team could push the envelope a little and make the maps more aggressive.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,181 Posts
Hehe, yeah and it might also be a fluid dynamics effect in the torque converter (am I going crazy?). But if ZF says it can skip gears, this is unlikely. But the the fluid/pressure transfer and the "ring" clutches are how an automatic works. But the Quad transmission is the same as Ti and Base right? It's just the software map that's different? Then it would be the same situation as the Challenge Stradale compared to regular 360s. The hardware can handle it but it was the software that was conservative until the performance team could push the envelope a little and make the maps more aggressive.
QV has a slightly different transmission than 2.0T in order to handle the higher torque from the engine.

I don't understand what the torque converter would have to do directly with shift times. ZF states that the transmission can shift in 0.2 seconds. I believe that faster shifting is easier on the clutches inside of the transmission since it involves less slippage. The people in the car might appreciate slower shifts for comfort and relaxed drive-ability though, but I would not expect any such slow down in Dynamic mode.

The torque converter is equipped with a lock up clutch. I wonder if the clutch must be disengaged prior to starting the shift.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
How are you timing the delay?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not timing it, I feel and hear that there is a delay between shifts, compared to the smooth shifting pattern of the other two modes.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Noticed this for the first time this AM, car was left outside and it was really cold sub-45 degrees over night...
shifting from 1st to 2nd was a bit of a delay...by the time I was on the highway and car was at 2 bars(temp)...all good...

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
The car has different shift logic from D to N to A. You get the quick 200 ms shift response if you are in D in moderate, heavy or wide open throttle *. There is a longer paddle delay when shifting while in N or A.

*Note, that even when in D and manually up shifting, the transmission will not provide the quick 200 ms response when you are lightly on the throttle. I am not sure at what percentage of throttle input does the computer enable the quick 200 ms up shifts however. The downshifts are equally responsive.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Noticed this for the first time this AM, car was left outside and it was really cold sub-45 degrees over night...
shifting from 1st to 2nd was a bit of a delay...by the time I was on the highway and car was at 2 bars(temp)...all good...
I notice on my Ti Q4 that both the throttle and shift action is different when the car is is cold. It is so different, yet consistent, that I assume it is purposely tuned this way in software. It forces the driver to be gentle until things warm up just a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts