Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to take apart the shift knob? I have the Mopar carbon fiber shift knob accent piece and neither that nor the regular rubber trim piece seem to quite fit right on the knob. I didn’t think a lot about it until I was in a Giulia rental that had a perfectly fitting knob. Specifically, I want to move the black hard plastic portion forward about 1-2 millimeters with respect to the metal base.

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm interested in the same.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to take apart the shift knob? I have the Mopar carbon fiber shift knob accent piece and neither that nor the regular rubber trim piece seem to quite fit right on the knob. I didn’t think a lot about it until I was in a Giulia rental that had a perfectly fitting knob. Specifically, I want to move the black hard plastic portion forward about 1-2 millimeters with respect to the metal base.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just my 2cent I’d save the headache I read were several people had issues with the the mopar part fitting. I decided I’d try it anyway because I did read were one person had no issues. Long story short the part didn’t fit. The factory one went on and off with ease the mopar would not seat. And I tried for hours and I’m more then average on mechanical skills and this piece doesn’t require that the part seems to be the issue. Contacted mopar and asked for an exchange or refund. They don’t want to do ether. As you know that little piece of cf is very expensive pound for pound.

That said if you want it go for it just know looking at it you have a 50, 50 chance it wont fit and if that happens they don’t want it back. In this case on that one piece I’d get the stick on cover and be done ✅ cheaper easier no hassles no worries looks just as good works fine.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I had my dealer install it and surely they gave up. I got a full refund.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I've learned to settle with the stupid Chinese fake carbon fiber stick on. Some things are just not worth it, it was bad enough that the part is over $200, I spent way too much time w/it.

Reactions: Chanosh

·
Registered
979 Posts
I also had problems described in another thread. After a fling with carbon fiber,my shifter ended up being replaced with another where all the bits didn't line up quite right. I think it was designed by a committee where nobody was talking to each other. Amazing since it is the number one criticism on youtube video after youtube video. You have a good point bit but really I have discovered that if you remove the rubber trim and smooth off that awful sharp edge at the top and the top of the sides then slide it back it suddenly becomes SO much better

·
Registered
103 Posts
old thread, but has anyone figured out how to take the shifter apart? I would like to either refit or file down the plastic part to remove the sharp edge. There must be a fix for this by now--

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
old thread, but has anyone figured out how to take the shifter apart? I would like to either refit or file down the plastic part to remove the sharp edge. There must be a fix for this by now--
Removing the stock one is super easy. Use a pry tool, guitar pick, or thin flat screw driver and start from one of the two corners working your way towards the middle. It's very forgiving so don't be scared breaking anything. Keep an eye on the actual shifter itself not to scratch it. You can use a towel as leverage against the shifter to prevent damage. I haven't seen yet a good write up on how to throw the carbon fiber on there.

Reactions: Richardalfa

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks ttaidapos. Easy off with a nylon pry tool as you said. The material is tough--220 sandpaper doesn't affect it--maybe pliant is a better word

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok off, smoothed a little and back on. Still not flush with the aluminum, but sharp edge smoother than before. Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ok off, smoothed a little and back on. Still not flush with the aluminum, but sharp edge smoother than before. Thanks
I'm a Dentist and I found it easy with what we call a laboratory handpiece but it is much the same as a Dremel. Unless skilled use sandpaper. Make sure you get a smooth last finish maybe with some mega fine wet and dry sandpaper and some sort of polishing paste. Getting rid of that stupid sharp edge will make all the difference every time you handle the shifter.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I'll be making a trip to the dealer tomorrow and check on ordering the 2020 shifter, if it works out IMO it's better than the Alfa carbon shifter. There's another thread on this, i'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I went with this inexpensive leather cover. Think it coordinates well with the wood trim, and at least it covers the sharp edges.

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
that actually looks pretty decent. Do they have other colors that might mate with the carbon fiber on the QV?
a couple of different style and color combos from the same supplier.....

Eppar New Protective Shift Knob Cover Compatible with ALFA Romeo Giulia 2016-2019 (Red) Amazon.com: Eppar New Protective Shift Knob Cover Compatible with ALFA Romeo Giulia 2016-2019 (Red): Automotive

Eppar New Protective Shift Knob Out Covers for ALFA Romeo Giulia 2016-2019 (Black) Amazon.com: Eppar New Protective Shift Knob Out Covers for ALFA Romeo Giulia 2016-2019 (Black): Automotive

1 - 16 of 16 Posts