Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a fair amount of time googling and searching this forum and I'm having a hard time finding a basic understanding of why I do or don't want the SGW bypass. My understanding is that my 2018 Sport is an early VIN model for the year and likely does not have it installed. Can someone help me understand why that does or doesn't matter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
338 Posts
If you have the SGW, clearing codes with a basic DYI OBDII scanner is not possible as the SGW needs a decryption key from FCA's servers to write commands to the vehicle's computers. This is all in attempt to prevent a car system hacking from an outside side entity being good or with bad intent. This is a problem for us as we have a spotty/shotty dealer network (meaning repairs are not easy and complicated) as well as needing to communicate to the car (scan tool) to clear a damn oil change light and maintenance reminder/counter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have the SGW, clearing codes with a basic DYI OBDII scanner is not possible as the SGW needs a decryption key from FCA's servers to write commands to the vehicle's computers. This is all in attempt to prevent a car system hacking from an outside side entity being good or with bad intent.
Is there concern about theft without one?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Apparently, the cars built from mid 2018 on have a SGW Module. You need to find out if your car has a SGW module. If it has a SGW module, you will need a SGW By-pass to erase the OBD2 error codes. You can read the error codes causing CELs with an OBD2 scanner but, you can't erase them. Some people say that you could erase some and could not erase others. Other people say that you can't erase any of them. If your car does not have a SGW module, evidently you don't need the SGW By-pass and you can both read and erase the error codes with the same OBD2 scanner, assuming the scanner has the capability to erase codes (the less expensive ones only read and do not erase).

·
Registered
338 Posts
No. This just complicates cars further. GM and others are doing this too. You also have to think about this scenario: your car has a 4G LTE modem in it, car is brake by wire and drive by wire and electric power steering as well as satellite radio; someone could 'hack' your car and take remote control with the possibility of doing bodily harm and property property damage without you being able to do a damn thing and watch as the event unfolds. Hence the 'security' they are installing in vehicles now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apparently, the cars built from mid 2018 on have a SGW Module. You need to find out if your car has a SGW module. If it has a SGW module, you will need a SGW By-pass to erase the OBD2 error codes. You can read the error codes casuing CELs with an OBD2 scanner but, you can't erase them. Some people say that you could erase some and could not erase others. Other people say that you can't erase any of them. If your car does not have a SGW module, evidently you don't need the SGW By-pass and you can both rad and erase the error codes with the same OBD2 scanner, assuming the scanner has the capability to erase codes (the less expensive ones only read and do not erase).
What happens if I don't erase the error codes? It sounds as though not having the bypass is a good thing?

·
Registered
338 Posts
What happens if I don't erase the error codes? It sounds as though not having the bypass is a good thing?
It is not any different than a check engine light on any other car. You won't be able to use dynamic or race mode (QV and some To models) until it's fixed. If you clear the code yourself, due to a momentary glitch versus an actual problem you saved a lot of time by not having to mess with the dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
256 Posts
It’s no big deal one way or the other, if you don’t have it then you are spared the experience of installing a bypass (thing is mounted up around the steering column). When you trade up in a year or two to a newer Giulia you’ll get the experience then, until then take the money you saved not needing the bypass and get a red start/stop button!

·
Vendor
2,288 Posts
I've spent a fair amount of time googling and searching this forum and I'm having a hard time finding a basic understanding of why I do or don't want the SGW bypass. My understanding is that my 2018 Sport is an early VIN model for the year and likely does not have it installed. Can someone help me understand why that does or doesn't matter?

Thanks!
SGW = getting into stuff that would be blocked otherwise. More specifically modules for deeper diagnostic or work or changes to the car. Adding race mode specifically.
Early 18' will most likely not have it so you don't need to worry about it at all.

If you are not doing much via the OBDII port don't worry about it. ;)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It depends. My understanding on all this. Not an expert. The error code comes with a CEL. A CEL on limits some things (e.g. driving mode, auto start/stop). Sometimes, you can clear a CEL starting/stopping the engine 4 times. If the CEL clears, then the functions return and the error code is stored in the OBD2. If the error code was a glitch and nothing important, you can live with the error code not erased and the technician at the delership will erase it in your next visit. If the CEL is not cleared with the 4 stops/starts, and if you can't erase the code, then you will need to go to a delership to erase the code, clear the CEL and perhaps, fix a problem. You could erase the code yourself with an OBD2 scanner (and with a SGW By-pass if your car has a SGW module). If your car was built before mid 2018, more probably you don't have a SGW Module. The SGW By-pass is not good or bad. It is simple needed if the owner wants to erase the error codes.

·
Registered
1987 Milano Platinum
115 Posts
I think this is a really small subject that's being blown up into this huge thing by being examined under a microscope. I suspect 90% of all owners don't know and don't care. Just drive your car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
No. This just complicates cars further. GM and others are doing this too. You also have to think about this scenario: your car has a 4G LTE modem in it, car is brake by wire and drive by wire and electric power steering as well as satellite radio; someone could 'hack' your car and take remote control with the possibility of doing bodily harm and property property damage without you being able to do a damn thing and watch as the event unfolds. Hence the 'security' they are installing in vehicles now.
The fundamental concept of the SGW is sound, but it needs a user set-able password not an FCA secret code. The fallacy of the secret code is that it should be clear that you can get around the SGW just by buying a Witech. Someone intent on causing harm would buy, rent or steal one but you as Honest Joe really cannot afford it. Some bad-apple tech just needs to add his fob as recognized to your Giulia, then he can steal it without a trace at his convenience, for example.

My MY2018 Giulia does not have 4G LTE or any connectivity beyond Android Auto (or Carplay, although I do not use it). I do not know if MY2020 adds wireless but that would open an unnecessary major opening for hacking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a question about finding out if I have the SWG -

I have an '18 Giulia Ti I believe is an April build. When I first got it it was throwing a code of "emissions leak very small" - I used my iPhone with ODB Fusion app (and a bluetooth ODBII adapter) to read the codes and I was able to erase the codes (they came back every couple weeks until fixed under warranty, cracked hose). -

Later I downloaded the 'Multiecuscan App' for iPhone and tried their test and it said I had a SWG. Is this because I haven't purchased the app and it may work or do I really have the SWG and was just able to erase frivolous codes...?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,713 Posts
I have a question about finding out if I have the SWG -

I have an '18 Giulia Ti I believe is an April build. When I first got it it was throwing a code of "emissions leak very small" - I used my iPhone with ODB Fusion app (and a bluetooth ODBII adapter) to read the codes and I was able to erase the codes (they came back every couple weeks until fixed under warranty, cracked hose). -

Later I downloaded the 'Multiecuscan App' for iPhone and tried their test and it said I had a SWG. Is this because I haven't purchased the app and it may work or do I really have the SWG and was just able to erase frivolous codes...?
I have an MY19 and can clear fault codes and MILs with an OBD scan tool, so I think it is just bad information that has been going around saying this is not possible. Codes can be cleared with at least some OBD scan tools; they apparently are not all equal.

As I understand it, there are 3 CANBUS channels working at different frequencies, or speeds, with the diverse control modules. I’m guessing that not all scan tools are able to talk on each of the CANBUS, and so cannot clear every code. Lots of guys are buying cheap OBD readers on Amazon for $20, but I’m using a $90 PLX Devices Kiwi3, which I’m running via phone app DashCommand; is there a performance difference between OBD tools? I don’t know, but maybe.

@Cmd111183 , I’d say get a quality scan tool and don’t worry about the SGW, because having code-clearing ability is an essential tool for Giulia owners given the cars antics.

Reactions: The_Dude

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,713 Posts
It depends. My understanding on all this. Not an expert. The error code comes with a CEL. A CEL on limits some things (e.g. driving mode, auto start/stop). Sometimes, you can clear a CEL starting/stopping the engine 4 times. If the CEL clears, then the functions return and the error code is stored in the OBD2. If the error code was a glitch and nothing important, you can live with the error code not erased and the technician at the delership will erase it in your next visit. If the CEL is not cleared with the 4 stops/starts, and if you can't erase the code, then you will need to go to a delership to erase the code, clear the CEL and perhaps, fix a problem. You could erase the code yourself with an OBD2 scanner (and with a SGW By-pass if your car has a SGW module). If your car was built before mid 2018, more probably you don't have a SGW Module. The SGW By-pass is not good or bad. It is simple needed if the owner wants to erase the error codes.
To be clear, CEL is “check engine light,” which is a particular type of MIL (malfunction indicator light) indicated by the engine outline icon. Not all fault codes come with a CEL, and Giulia is equipped with a variety of other MILs which are associated with fault codes.

As mentioned above, a SGW Bypass is not necessarily needed to clear codes on SGW-equipped Giulias.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts