Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2020 Giulia on a crazy lease deal. Love the car.

Naturally one of my coworkers, who goes through cars like Tiger Woods goes through women, had some noise to make about picking up the Alfa. Reliability, blah blah blah (it’s a 24 month lease; who cares?).

Anyways, after all day of offering me $100 to do donuts in it in the parking lot (no!), he finally sits in it and had to admit the interior is pretty sick (I got the whorehouse red on black interior and dark black wood accents). But as he’s looking at it he starts calling out the dark wood trim as being injection molded (always got to find something to hate on). Now, we do know materials for our job and we do constantly deal with both wood (on Italian products - with a sand blasted look like in the Giulia) and injection molding. Me, reading the advertising material and reviews argue back that it is “real” and “genuine” wood accents.

Upon bringing in an unbiased third party, the third party calls it out as injection molded. Looking very closely at the trim around the door handles specifically, it does appear to contain what COULD be injection molding marks. Now, I am not 100% convinced that this is the case, but even pulling up the MotorTrend and Car and Driver reviews will not sway these haters either way. They are convinced it is all plastic.

So here is my question... am I the dummy or are they? I made sure not to pick Quadrifoglio references as I could see genuine wood being reserved for the top of the line model; but hey, I am willing to admit that I have been wrong from time to time (just don’t tell my wife that).

I will love the car regardless (it’s interior is not quite as premium, but way sharper looking than my former 5 Series), but it would be nice to win one over on these nerds in a way that does not involve removing material to see what lies beneath the surface.

Please tell me I am not the idiot.

-Marmaduke

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
692 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Giulia on a crazy lease deal. Love the car.

Naturally one of my coworkers, who goes through cars like Tiger Woods goes through women, had some noise to make about picking up the Alfa. Reliability, blah blah blah (it’s a 24 month lease; who cares?).

Anyways, after all day of offering me $100 to do donuts in it in the parking lot (no!), he finally sits in it and had to admit the interior is pretty sick (I got the whorehouse red on black interior and dark black wood accents). But as he’s looking at it he starts calling out the dark wood trim as being injection molded (always got to find something to hate on). Now, we do know materials for our job and we do constantly deal with both wood (on Italian products - with a sand blasted look like in the Giulia) and injection molding. Me, reading the advertising material and reviews argue back that it is “real” and “genuine” wood accents.

Upon bringing in an unbiased third party, the third party calls it out as injection molded. Looking very closely at the trim around the door handles specifically, it does appear to contain what COULD be injection molding marks. Now, I am not 100% convinced that this is the case, but even pulling up the MotorTrend and Car and Driver reviews will not sway these haters either way. They are convinced it is all plastic.

So here is my question... am I the dummy or are they? I made sure not to pick Quadrifoglio references as I could see genuine wood being reserved for the top of the line model; but hey, I am willing to admit that I have been wrong from time to time (just don’t tell my wife that).

I will love the car regardless (it’s interior is not quite as premium, but way sharper looking than my former 5 Series), but it would be nice to win one over on these nerds in a way that does not involve removing material to see what lies beneath the surface.

Please tell me I am not the idiot.

-Marmaduke
No idea if it's real wood or not, but what an enjoyable read. Got a great laugh. "whorehouse red".... 😂🤣🤣🤣😂

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
The QV has carbon fiber veneers over molded plastic. The Ti sport model has a mix of aluminum with a painted on finish over molded plastic and brushed plastic. I believe that only the Ti Lusso models have the wood, which I have not ever examined in detail. I do not know what is in Base sport or lusso models. Not much help here except don't look to a QV or Ti sport to find wood trim.

Reactions: LoCoRob and Theo

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
My Ti lists wood interior trim as standard equipment

·
Registered
2021 Ti Sport AWD Verde Visconti
44 Posts
Per Car and Driver:
The interior of the Giulia features soft-touch plastics, fine leather, and either textured metallic or genuine wood trimmings.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,994 Posts
but it would be nice to win one over on these nerds in a way that does not involve removing material to see what lies beneath the surface.
you find something about their car that will distract them away ...

a fake air vent, (KIA Stinger) fake cabin sounds (AUDI Merc BMW - you will really own their testicles with that one )
a la ...
"it may or may not be fake wood, but your cabin sounds/air vents/exhaust tips/insert fake bit ... will ALWAYS be fake"

find something from the menu to feast on
The most infuriating fake bits on today's cars | CarAdvice

this is the Papa Gallo way ... just ask my half Irish / half witted, brother in law :)

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
A 2020 Giulia might have the fake engine sound, I dunno. Has anybody checked their car (pinging @Chipshot )?

Also, I suspect that some parts might be fake wood out of necessity while others are not. For example the complex shape of the interior door latch bezels would be really hard to fabricate from wood, while the simple almost flat surface of the center console deck and the dashboard insert should not be so difficult to fabricate from wood.

FWIW: my 1947 Chrysler Crown Imperial and my 1953 Desoto both had fake wood trim (painted metal, gray-blue-purple in the case of the Desoto). Real wood would have been less expensive, especially to restore...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts
@lockem, how would I know? I don't have the keenest hearing. Oh, and my car is in the shop (not that I would have driven it today, our first this year above 80F).

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts
Whorehouse red? I don't think so, and neither do they.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think it’s real but honestly who cares. This car is for handling not for staring at accents. Just a thing, don’t take the $100 to do donuts cause it won’t be able to. There is no way to disable traction control unless you have aftermarket solutions ;)
But, do make your coworker drive on some twisties and maybe he’ll shut up.
This frankly irritates me. If someone buys Audi or bmw I don’t go dissing on their cars even if there would be plenty of reasons to.

·
Registered
732 Posts
one hard drive will do the talking. my hater friends couldn't wipe the goofy grins off of their complaining faces.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the reply’s. Haters going to hate. This guy has bought/sold at least 8 cars in the past two years including a Hellcat, two Tundras, two Ram 2500’s, an M6, a Lexus LX, a Highlander, a Sequoia, and a Camry Hybrid that come to mind off the top of my head. Some people are just never satisfied. 🤷‍♂️

While I have your attention I would like to ask a couple quick questions.

1) The airbag light does not come on. Passenger or not, it does not illuminate. It appears that it should illuminate for either passenger or no passenger per the ghosted icons under the plastic. Can anyone advise? For reference this is the specific one I am referring to:

2) Why no manual transmission? I don’t care if the automatic can shift better than me. This is a drivers car and the only thing that made me hesitate before getting it. I can forgive the lack of being able to turn off ESC (that’s dumb too), but how can a company that prides itself on the driving experience NOT offer a proper clutch in their car?

3) Is there anyway to get CarPlay to work without your phone being plugged in? I like a clean cabin and the wireless charger doesn’t like my phone plugged in and sitting on it and the center console is pretty useless for even my “normal sized” 11 Pro.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,994 Posts
but how can a company that prides itself on the driving experience NOT offer a proper clutch in their car?
they do ...

https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-images/840x560/424000/100/424154.jpg

All Ferrari
Bugatti Veyron
McLaren (etc)
are all auto w/ no clutch pedal ...

... the hardest cars to sell on a lot are invariably always the manuals lol

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
they do ...

https://cdn.carbuzz.com/gallery-images/840x560/424000/100/424154.jpg

All Ferrari
Bugatti Veyron
McLaren (etc)
are all auto w/ no clutch pedal ...

... the hardest cars to sell on a lot are invariably always the manuals lol
Unfortunately that option is not available to us colonist across the Atlantic. 😕

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
@lockem, how would I know? I don't have the keenest hearing. Oh, and my car is in the shop (not that I would have driven it today, our first this year above 80F).
Look for the intake sound sensor mounted more-or-less above the alternator. Long ago @MacGeek posted a picture of the unit mounted in a Stelvio.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
405 Posts
Take a look at this video. It explains the interior design and choice of materials:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I took the car to the service department today (they are stumped by the airbag light; they said no other Giulia seems to have it come on either)... While there I asked if it was real wood or plastic and they said to their knowledge it is real wood in all Giulia's featuring wood trim. 🧐

1 - 20 of 47 Posts