Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a guilia ti 2017. I absolutely didnt not have any issues with my car so far. I have driven 15K miles with absolute bliss. Last month, I did the T57 Update. I felt my car lost its character absolutely. It feels slow. However, I found this warning pop up from yesterday. Although it takes a few secs to go away, it shows in the instrument panel with a red gear as a huge warning.

"Service Shifter. Dont turn off the engine or shift to D".

What is this about ? AlfaCares ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd take it back to the dealer. Might need to have the new software reflashed. When I got the T57, my dealer said sometimes the cars dont take the new software properly the first time. Could be your issue here.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I know this sounds odd but wouldn’t they run this a bit or somehow make sure the software update was successful before they turn it back to the customer. Just seems so odd that you have to return to the dealer for a reflash because the cars don’t take the update. I guess I am just thinking there is a way to see if it did before you leave the lot. Just a silly thought. BTW. I have no idea if I got the T57 update or not. I got a 2017 QV in April this year so all updates available at that time were done. So far we have had no software issues but I am not going to boast that wow I have 1600 miles trouble free. Yes we should expect trouble free for the most part.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know this sounds odd but wouldn’t they run this a bit or somehow make sure the software update was successful before they turn it back to the customer. Just seems so odd that you have to return to the dealer for a reflash because the cars don’t take the update. I guess I am just thinking there is a way to see if it did before you leave the lot. Just a silly thought.
I totally agree they can and should check to make sure the update was successful and proper. But you know dealerships, it wouldn't be the first time one cut some corners. I'm not saying that's for sure the issue, but it definitely sounds suspect.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I know this sounds odd but wouldn’t they run this a bit or somehow make sure the software update was successful before they turn it back to the customer. Just seems so odd that you have to return to the dealer for a reflash because the cars don’t take the update. I guess I am just thinking there is a way to see if it did before you leave the lot. Just a silly thought. BTW. I have no idea if I got the T57 update or not. I got a 2017 QV in April this year so all updates available at that time were done. So far we have had no software issues but I am not going to boast that wow I have 1600 miles trouble free. Yes we should expect trouble free for the most part.
T57 not applicable to Q.V.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
I did hear an auditory alarm when it happened to me a month ago. They replaced the entire 'shifter assembly' on my '18 model, as it could be a safety issue. The procedure itself didn't take too long..... getting the spare did (~2 weeks). And if the red light persists, you will not be able to take the car with you.

I recommend taking pictures of the trim around the shifter before dropping your car off, as it could be damaged during the replacement.

Note: Driving with a red light on the panel is a bad idea.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know this sounds odd but wouldn’t they run this a bit or somehow make sure the software update was successful before they turn it back to the customer. Just seems so odd that you have to return to the dealer for a reflash because the cars don’t take the update. I guess I am just thinking there is a way to see if it did before you leave the lot. Just a silly thought.

Exactly!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all . I just had this error message come on last night, followed by the red cog No recent updates installed. Called Alfa cares after minutes of them checking through manuals they advised I stop and arrange a tow truck. It’s in the garage since this morning but they are too busy to look at it until Tuesday. I know some have said they had the complete shifter replaced .. I did get a smell from outside the car after.. or hopefully it’s just an electrical fault. The star stop hasn’t worked for a week either . I wonder had this anything to do with it . I read that a bad battery cell can cause error msges. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,163 Posts
Hi all . I just had this error message come on last night, followed by the red cog No recent updates installed. Called Alfa cares after minutes of them checking through manuals they advised I stop and arrange a tow truck. It’s in the garage since this morning but they are too busy to look at it until Tuesday. I know some have said they had the complete shifter replaced .. I did get a smell from outside the car after.. or hopefully it’s just an electrical fault. The star stop hasn’t worked for a week either . I wonder had this anything to do with it . I read that a bad battery cell can cause error msges. Any info would be appreciated.
That’s pretty much about it actually. You just got to wait for them to diagnose and fix it for you now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts