Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took in the Guilia to see why I was getting a Start/Stop function error message. They called me and said I was driving with 2 feet, and even put it in the documents to not drive with "two feet". Lol .... These guys must think I'm stupid. They diverting the issue that there's a problem somewhere in the coding producing this nonsense error. Also tell me how after it comes back from service now I got a new message to appear that said Service Electronic Throttle. It flashed right before the Start Stop function failed. Any ideas guys what to do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the error that appeared right before the Start/Stop function err appears. This message didn't show before I brought it to be checked by dealership. Somehow the tech wasn't able to reproduce either, so he just said that Chrysler came back with this response of stop driving with two feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I find odd is that they say the Start/Stop function has to do with two feet driving, but why doesn't it say that in the user manual? Page 59 https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...uals/Giulia/2017-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-UG-4th.pdf

It says "Contact an authorized dealer as soon as possible to have the failure eliminated."

So what's this mean? The failure eliminated? They want to eliminate what failure if they just told me two feet were the cause?

I think they gave some bs... Anyone else dealing with this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
They are correct. Using two feet causes this. I have 5000 miles on my car. No issues so far except for this error twice this last week. In my case I now have a bad disc in my back. It causes some pain to use my right leg in the car, so I am using both feet more. Sometimes I am not quick enough and the error appears. I just turn the engine off, and then restart. The error is gone.

Now the question is should using two feet cause an error. Not in my view.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe you use two feet, but I don't think that's safe method to drive. I only use 1 foot, so the only thing could be as I'm switching pedals.... regardless, haven driven bmw which is notorious for error messages, a 16' nissan rogue and a 16' c300 benz I've never ever gotten any error like this...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
https://twitter.com/rnrmusicgrp/status/921730609608904704

I'm obviously not driving with two feet. I thought possibly it could happen when switching pedals but seriously doubt this. They say this occurs when both pedals are pressed. So far I haven't reproduced with their explanation.
Obviously the fault is driving with two feets :grin2: You probably should have a doctor check out your feets problem.

Seriously some people drive with 2 feet for performance reasons. Some people drive with one foot resting on the brake pedal all of the time for reasons unknown to me (using the brake peddle as a foot rest?). I "cover" the brake with my left foot whenever sight lines get dicey as this reduces reaction time to hazards; it is easy to accidentally touch the brake pedal when doing this.

There are several sources of the service electronic throttle fault. Scour the forums for discussions. IIRC, the most obvious in your case is that the hood is not properly latched. The hood should always be closed using the procedure given in the owner's manual: drop it from about 18" high. There are latches on both sides, which is not like other cars. The hood is aluminum and very light and fragile, again not like other cars. Forcing the hood down using your hand on top is not recommended.

Don't ask me how an improperly latched hood translates into "service electronic throttle" on the dash board; it must be an Italian thing.

OTOH, EPA requires any smog system malfunction to throw "check engine" light, which means that a loose gas cap is required to throw CEL.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But I've said time and time again, I don't drive with 2 feet. Matter of fact my knee normally hurts because i have it resting sort of on the door almost close to seat completely far away from pedals.

·
Registered
256 Posts
But I've said time and time again, I don't drive with 2 feet. Matter of fact my knee normally hurts because i have it resting sort of on the door almost close to seat completely far away from pedals.
Sounds like you need a software update. This is a really common issue and the software update should take care of it.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same problem with the electronic throttle control now as well. Happened shortly after AR called me in for the software updates for the transmission and Infotainment. I wonder if that's the common thread. I'll have to get out my paperwork and see what SW versions they installed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Electronic Throttle Control failure

I had my car towed to the dealer for this issue in December (they are 2+ hours away from me). It has been running perfectly fine until a couple of days ago when I was driving normally and this error popped up again followed by the message about auto start/stop now being inoperable. It has happened a few more times since and here are the symptoms:

- The warning seems to come on when I step on the brake when slowing from cruising speed
- The throttle seems to "stick open" to use an old-fashioned term. The revs don't seem to be dropping properly when my foot is off the gas. This afternoon I was driving back to my office and when negotiating the parking lot, the car wanted to keep revving around 2k rpm when I was off the gas but in Drive, so I had to use the brake to keep the car from accelerating above 15 mph.
- Once today, after warning came on, I stopped at a red light. In this one instance, the gas pedal seemed totally dead. I stepped on the gas and nothing happened (the car was just idling). I switched to Park then back to Drive and it operated fine.

I came back to work, parked the car, and am now awaiting a call back from the dealer. Note, I have never driven with 2 feet in my life (at least not on a car with an automatic transmission).

Anyone else have this come back after a reflash?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmmm interesting. Now I think the update addressed the time check on the the 2 pedals to push the warning light to occur later so it would be less likely to happen when you switch pedals with one foot, or use both feet in coordination. I am not sure of this. just an idea where the code problem really lies. The hood latch issue was related and only involved because the safety check looks at those switches, not that they would interfere with the electronic throttle or starter. I have used both hand to push the carbon hood down on a number of occasions, with my hands over the latches. I also have ppf on it. I haven't noticed any issues but may skip that and just drop it like I did on the 348. Even then, the paint chipped at the very top corner, drivers side, probably from flexing or colliding with the hood surround. It was fiberglass ;)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I don't like those symptoms.
but based on the alfa response on the prior page, they'll probably tell you you have your feets on the wrong pedal (s).

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had my car towed to the dealer for this issue in December (they are 2+ hours away from me). It has been running perfectly fine until a couple of days ago when I was driving normally and this error popped up again followed by the message about auto start/stop now being inoperable. It has happened a few more times since and here are the symptoms:

- The warning seems to come on when I step on the brake when slowing from cruising speed
- The throttle seems to "stick open" to use an old-fashioned term. The revs don't seem to be dropping properly when my foot is off the gas. This afternoon I was driving back to my office and when negotiating the parking lot, the car wanted to keep revving around 2k rpm when I was off the gas but in Drive, so I had to use the brake to keep the car from accelerating above 15 mph.
- Once today, after warning came on, I stopped at a red light. In this one instance, the gas pedal seemed totally dead. I stepped on the gas and nothing happened (the car was just idling). I switched to Park then back to Drive and it operated fine.

I came back to work, parked the car, and am now awaiting a call back from the dealer. Note, I have never driven with 2 feet in my life (at least not on a car with an automatic transmission).

In reading this my first impression is that the throttle switch is sticking or the pedal it's self is. I would first check to make sure there isn't any interference from the floor mat or carpet on the tunnel. Not much room down there. I would check it with the car off and make sure you are getting full travel of the pedal and that it is fully coming back up after release.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Perhaps a different dealer ?

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts

So I have this issue now showing up almost daily, and really like to know what it is. You technically should not drive the car, as the response can be that the car jumps, or stagnates when putting the foot on the pedal. With my issue it comes in combination with a P066D code, which is internal engine related, but so far I have not heard from anyone how the issue with the throttle control has been resolved, and if it is a software or hardware issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update

The dealer has had my car since last Friday (though I don't think they started working on it until 3 days ago, on Monday). I had heard nothing from them until I called them yesterday around 4:30. They are 2+ hours away and I'm in a rental car, so I wanted to know if they had any diagnosis or ETA I could give the rental agency.

Anyway, they are blaming the floor mats. Seriously. There was no interference from the mats, the pedals moved freely AND I have been using the same winter mats (coco mats, not actually very thick, just heavy with the coco and heavy rubber backing) for going on 5 months now but hadn't had the issue until last week. I live in Northern Michigan, it isn't as if using winter floor mats is an unusual occurrence. My mats don't even cover a larger surface area than the factory mats, they are nearly an exact copy in shape and size. I'd hate to see what would happen with larger floor liners.

So, it seems we are driving cars that can't be operated by 2-footed drivers or with quality aftermarket winter floor mats?

Frankly, I don't buy the explanation... there was no sticking of the pedal, it literally just stopped responding and left me dead in traffic, which doesn't seem like a reasonable engineering solution even if there was some type of interference from the floor mat, which there wasn't.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I actually saw this warning come on at the track today.

It was during the last of four 20 minute track sessions. I was driving Giulia VERY hard. I was attempting to pass an M4...came very close to doing so until this warning triggered, and put me into limp mode.

I was not applying the brake and throttle at the same time.

I was absolutely driving at the limit and tires squealing.

I pulled into the paddock turned the car on and off and the issue went away.

Funny enough auto start/stop disable warning also triggered. That also went away after turning the car on and off.

In any event, after leaving the track, gave Giulia a bath and went out for dinner with the wife. Great day :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts