Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Latest update at comment #36

So it begins...
my beloved 2019 Giulia Quadrifoglio with only 4200 miles on, had the Service Electronic Throttle Control issue last week, followed by CEL / Service Engine.
I took it to the dealership (Bay Area) and they just told me that they found a leak in cylinder 2, but they are still troubleshooting to see if there are other issues.
To add insult to injury, the dealership did not have any loaners... so I got a nice Chevy Malibu from Enterprise :(

I'll update this thread once I find out more... wish me luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good luck friend. Sucks to hear.

If you do not mind me asking how heavy was your driving on a scale of 1-10. 1 being grandma going to the store and 10 being a 17 year old kid with a 10 year old V8 Mustang that races every Honda Civic he sees.

Honestly wondering.. I have a theory. It is 99% wrong I am sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely drove the car the way is meant to be driven on occasion... nothing crazy though, and not that often. The reality is that most miles were driven with my son in the car seat, so I took it relatively easy (in D mode, though...)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I definitely drove the car the way is meant to be driven on occasion... nothing crazy though, and not that often. The reality is that most miles were driven with my son in the car seat, so I took it relatively easy (in D mode, though...)
This is not any kind of scientific data but it seems to be the case with these cars. Especially early on in the mileage like that. It is almost like they need to be drove hard fairly often to clear them out and keep those high performance parts moving.

The people who ride them a bit harder than most seem to have a lot less issues. Not sure if it is just such a small sample size or not but it just seems very interesting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may very well be the case. Interesting fact is that the issue appeared after the car was parked for 11 days since I was traveling.

·
Registered
285 Posts
O yea they really HATE being parked and ignored. Interesting cars.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got a Toyota Camry as a loaner.... almost fell asleep driving it home. Sucks to hear about the Malibu. My worst dealer experience make's my Alfa probs seem tame. I was in my early 20's paying on a new Z28 when it went to the shop for nine months. The gave me a Geo Metro rental.

I have GM's Family First discount still and yet I haven't bought a GM product in the 20 years or so since that happened.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Might be some kind of battery voltage issue since it sat for 11 days?

I think the ETC and CEL codes are a catch all and dont necessarily mean any engine type problem. Would need to pull the exact codes the car is throwing. I suggest buying a cheap code reader if youre going to own an Alfa.

"Leak in cylinder 2" sounds ominous though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is not any kind of scientific data but it seems to be the case with these cars. Especially early on in the mileage like that. It is almost like they need to be drove hard fairly often to clear them out and keep those high performance parts moving.

The people who ride them a bit harder than most seem to have a lot less issues. Not sure if it is just such a small sample size or not but it just seems very interesting.

Different threads on here pertaining to this issue. And the question is always raised, "Do you drive it hard?" And the answer is always, "Yes I drive it hard." In my mind I always thought, what does hard mean?

When I took my brand new QV to the dealer to get the battery tender installed the head mechanic came out to talk to me, He said quote, "These cars like to be driven hard, Drive it hard," I looked at him like a son to his father and I said, "Ok" I think kennysum1's theory, at a minimum, may be a factor in this. So its a Ferrari engine, so I would be curious as to how Ferrari recommends their cars be driven??? Does anyone have a 458? Lol

OP sorry for your troubles. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE

I just talked to the shop and they told me they recommend to replace the whole engine block instead of trying to fix it. Separately, Alfa Romeo customer service told me that they will call me next week with an update on how long it will take, etc. but the shop guy seemed pessimistic ("I had a Stelvio QV here for 3 months waiting for an engine from Italy").

I am trying to figure out what are my options here...

·
Registered
767 Posts
UPDATE

I just talked to the shop and they told me they recommend to replace the whole engine block instead of trying to fix it. Separately, Alfa Romeo customer service told me that they will call me next week with an update on how long it will take, etc. but the shop guy seemed pessimistic ("I had a Stelvio QV here for 3 months waiting for an engine from Italy").

I am trying to figure out what are my options here...
Sorry to hear - since it sounds like the first repair attempt, lemon lawing the car is probably not an option, but you could see if Alfa Care's escalation paths would be amenable to it if you want to go that route. The engine replacement timeframe you were quoted sounds about right given what my service manager told me.

"You're driving the car wrong / not hard enough" does seem to be the default claim from Alfa Engineering under these circumstances (reminds me of Apple's Antennagate Scandal - you're holding the phone wrong! 😂). And yes, we all say we drive these cars hard because that's what most of us buy them for and that's what most of us do. I averaged 12 miles per gallon on my Alfa the way I drove it, and I still had to lemon the car because it was in the shop for 2 months in 1 year. If anything I suspect maybe I was driving it too hard.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does Alfa understand the problem better now? They went straight to engine replacement,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does Alfa understand the problem better now? They went straight to engine replacement,
From what I understand it is Alfa's policy to replace the engine block completely for most mechanical issues, so that they can get the failed engine back for analysis + the service network is probably not capable of putting their hands on the engine to rebuild it

·
Registered
130 Posts
Interesting. Sorry you have to go through that.

I wonder how many engine replacements have happened already out of all the cars sold in the US. I guess hard to know but I’m really curious. Even better would be to understand what causes these failures and if something can be done to prevent that.

Also, with so little 2020 cars out there vs 2017/18/19, it’ll be very hard to see if these MY are less prone to failure. Again, having numbers would tremendously help. If only someone could get the information.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting. Sorry you have to go through that.

I wonder how many engine replacements have happened already out of all the cars sold in the US. I guess hard to know but I’m really curious. Even better would be to understand what causes these failures and if something can be done to prevent that.

Also, with so little 2020 cars out there vs 2017/18/19, it’ll be very hard to see if these MY are less prone to failure. Again, having numbers would tremendously help. If only someone could get the information.
If only macgeek was still around……paging macgeek!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don’t let anyone convince you it’s because you didn’t drive the car hard enough lol. I did drive my car respectfully, but also hard. This same thing happened to my original engine at around 4000 miles. They replaced the whole engine. Now it’s happening to the replacement engine with just 1500 miles. The second engine is now in for its second (and also has low compression on 3 cylinders) time, it’s been there for almost a week and Alfa is really dragging their feet on giving the dealer any kind of direction on how to fix it.

With any other manufacturer you guys would be talking about class action at this point. It’s obvious that this is a defective engine design. We have tried lemoning our car and Alfa is fighting it as hard as they can. Contrary to popular belief unless the manufacturer offers to buy the car lemoning comes with a lot of out of pocket cost to consumer (at least in my state).

I absolutely love my car when it’s not eating it’s own engine, I love Alfa’s and just want what I went in and payed for. They have fixed this issue with the addition of port injection. But they are not standing behind the cars sold before that. People can’t be expected to go in for a new engine every few thousand miles, that is crazy. Please dm me if anyone would be interested in banding together to bring possible media attention to this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don’t let anyone convince you it’s because you didn’t drive the car hard enough lol. I did drive my car respectfully, but also hard. This same thing happened to my original engine at around 4000 miles. They replaced the whole engine. Now it’s happening to the replacement engine with just 1500 miles. The second engine is now in for its second (and also has low compression on 3 cylinders) time, it’s been there for almost a week and Alfa is really dragging their feet on giving the dealer any kind of direction on how to fix it.
NOt reassuring.. but thank you for sharing your experience. How long it took them to replace your first engine?

·
Registered
64 Posts
About 3 or 4 weeks. Once the engine arrived it only took a few days to swap them out. My advice is don’t take a loaner car because if you do this time will not count as out of service time. Will help you later on when this problem happens again to the replacement engine.

Just scroll down and read the post linked to this post.

·
Registered
130 Posts
With any other manufacturer you guys would be talking about class action at this point. It’s obvious that this is a defective engine design. We have tried lemoning our car and Alfa is fighting it as hard as they can. Contrary to popular belief unless the manufacturer offers to buy the car lemoning comes with a lot of out of pocket cost to consumer (at least in my state).
When you think about the Voodoo engine in the GT350, indeed class action. I’m surprised that nothing happened with this engine yet. And again it’s hard to know how many cars really are affected. And re-2020, remember that is it pure spéculation that it has fixed the issue. There’s way less of them than the 17/18/19. Also keep in mind that the same engines in Europe (only used in 17/18 I believe) don’t seem prone to this issue as much as here.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts