Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've followed a few threads on this subject, but not seen a final resolution. I have a 2018 Giulia QV, which I've had since new. Tonight I got the dreaded Service Electronic Throttle Control error. This is now the second time I've got this on my QF. The first time the dealer couldn't find any underlying issue.

I have nearly a full tank of gas, so it's not the low-fuel related issue.

I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten a good resolution on this issue, or if this is a gremlin that will continue indefinitely?

I love my car; and it has been otherwise error-free.

Appreciate your thoughts.

- Max

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I've followed a few threads on this subject, but not seen a final resolution. I have a 2018 Giulia QV, which I've had since new. Tonight I got the dreaded Service Electronic Throttle Control error. This is now the second time I've got this on my QF. The first time the dealer couldn't find any underlying issue.

I have nearly a full tank of gas, so it's not the low-fuel related issue.

I was wondering if anyone out there has gotten a good resolution on this issue, or if this is a gremlin that will continue indefinitely?

I love my car; and it has been otherwise error-free.

Appreciate your thoughts.

- Max
When did the issue occur?cold start, up shifting, high low rpm, drive mode, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When did the issue occur?cold start, up shifting, high low rpm, drive mode, etc.
Good questions. Thanks Monk. Happened in mid-50s weather. Car had been running for about 3 min. Pulled out into traffic and accelerated quickly to match traffic speed. Punching the accelerator is what triggered the warning, as was the issue last time. Was in Dynamic mode.

Any other details that would be helpful?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I got this come up under "normal" driving conditions, coasting along looking for a parking spot. Took it to dealer and said I had an outstanding software update, so they completed that which took about an hour, and never came back after that. They told me with this update that it will prevent it from coming back again, and so far they are right. Therefore, maybe look to see if you have the latest updates?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got this come up under "normal" driving conditions, coasting along looking for a parking spot. Took it to dealer and said I had an outstanding software update, so they completed that which took about an hour, and never came back after that. They told me with this update that it will prevent it from coming back again, and so far they are right. Therefore, maybe look to see if you have the latest updates?
Thanks! I'll check that out.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
could be sooooo many things....from a battery to a failed pressure valve.....did the car go into limp mode??
where you couldn't change any of the settings (R,D,N,A)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could be sooooo many things....from a battery to a failed pressure valve.....did the car go into limp mode??
Yep! That's exactly what happened. But was out of limp mode when I restarted it the next morning (although with still the service engine light on).

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It happened to me just once while driving normally in N mode to work at about 50mph, car went into safe mode. I pulled over, scanned the code and it was to do with "Throttle body position range". I cleared the code and car was driving fine after. This was 3 months ago and hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve have this same issue consistently and my car goes into limp mode almost every time, but then after I drive it and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, it is no longer in limo mode but the warning lights (auto start stop not working & check engine line remain on! I’m so fed up with it and the dealer has done absolutely nothing to fix the issue, other than some recall, that fixed nothing, my car did the same the the next day after I got it back from the dealership!!!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I’ve have this same issue consistently and my car goes into limp mode almost every time, but then after I drive it and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, it is no longer in limo mode but the warning lights (auto start stop not working & check engine line remain on! I’m so fed up with it and the dealer has done absolutely nothing to fix the issue, other than some recall, that fixed nothing, my car did the same the the next day after I got it back from the dealership!!!
maybe a bad diverter valve? I know the stock blow offs had some issues early on and forge makes a recirculating kit that I would recommend for anyone driving the car hard. I would avoid any other brand. Just my opinion. You can read many threads on the subject. If that’s even the issue you are having. Boost bypass solenoid valve is the tech term for the stored code I think.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wasn't there a problem with the connector to the diverter/bypass valve coming loose under acceleration because the wiring is too tight?

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

That link discusses the problem (a common one). Some dealers added an extension to the wiring as a fix.

That link will show you where the bypass valves and connectors are located if you want to have your tech/mechanic check.
That was predominantly an issue in many 16, 17 and some early cars mostly in Europe as the wiring harness to the LEFT turbo boost diverter valve solenoid was too taut. This was fixed by a longer harness. The error associated with that is boost related and it will not give the "Service Throttle" error as described the OP.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That was predominantly an issue in many 16, 17 and some early cars mostly in Europe as the wiring harness to the LEFT turbo boost diverter valve solenoid was too taut. This was fixed by a longer harness. The error associated with that is boost related and it will not give the "Service Throttle" error as described the OP.
Service throttle is a catch all error message probably related to dozens of issues.

Boost/diverter valve related problems also trigger the "service throttle" message on the display. It happened to me when I installed the Forge recirculating kit. (until I changed the supplied springs)

also: Boost Bypass Solenoid - Failure, diagnosis, solutions

Based on the descriptions of it happening when accelerating and then the car is fine when restarted, it almost has to do with something boost related. Could be harness or connector or the actual valves.

·
Registered
421 Posts
@Max B @Brittany81 I would also suggest buying a code reader. Next time you get the message, pull over and see what code it is. Might help with diagnosis.

I bought this super cheap one off Amazon. Takes less than 10 seconds to read the codes.

Unfortunately these cars have quite a bit of small issues and the dealer network is complete shit.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Service throttle is a catch all error message probably related to dozens of issues.

Boost/diverter valve related problems also trigger the "service throttle" message on the display. It happened to me when I installed the Forge recirculating kit. (until I changed the supplied springs)

also: Boost Bypass Solenoid - Failure, diagnosis, solutions

Based on the descriptions of it happening when accelerating and then the car is fine when restarted, it almost has to do with something boost related. Could be harness or connector or the actual valves.
When I had the error, it was specifically to do with the throttle body (checked with Torque Pro) range out of limits so it was logical to get the throttle error message. It may well be to do with the diverter valve but it must also trigger a throttle body range error for it to display the message on the dash. So what I am saying is, you cannot hang you hat on the diverter valve. I agree with the OBD reader suggestion.

Reactions: Max B

·
Registered
11 Posts
maybe a bad diverter valve? I know the stock blow offs had some issues early on and forge makes a recirculating kit that I would recommend for anyone driving the car hard. I would avoid any other brand. Just my opinion. You can read many threads on the subject. If that’s even the issue you are having. Boost bypass solenoid valve is the tech term for the stored code I think.
I have a 2019. And Shouldn’t themechanics at the dealership have done all this already seeing as how my vehicle is under the factory warranty?!?!?!?!!!!!!Alpha Romeo does not stand behind there vehicles or their BS “Manufacturer’s warranty”! I’m going to contact an attorney about the lemon laws in my state, I’m don’t trying to work with them, I shouldn’t have to be going through any of this as much as I pay for this car! I’m done!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a 2019. And Shouldn’t themechanics at the dealership have done all this already seeing as how my vehicle is under the factory warranty?!?!?!?!!!!!!Alpha Romeo does not stand behind there vehicles or their BS “Manufacturer’s warranty”! I’m going to contact an attorney about the lemon laws in my state, I’m don’t trying to work with them, I shouldn’t have to be going through any of this as much as I pay for this car! I’m done!
Your anger seems to be misguided. Why are you bouncing around from thread to thread, including threads that aren't even related to your car (this is a QV thread) screaming at everyone? This site isn't operated by FCA. We didn't break your car. We also aren't lemon law attorneys. So what is your point exactly?

FWIW if your in-person attitude is anything like how you are coming across online, it's no wonder you aren't getting anywhere at the dealership. From my perspective, you suck.

Also, it's "Alfa".

·
Registered
2,715 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
@Max B, have you had any more issues with this subject in the last 7 days?. There is also the the possibility that no one likes and which happened to me twice (once together a misfire error code in cold start and once alone with no misfire error codes while also in cold start). I do not remember the error code nor what was the description in the OBD2 scanner. The possibility is: it's nothing and just another glitch of the software, the dealer couldn't find any underlying issue because there is no issue, stop/start the engine 4 times, clear the error that way and move on. That's what I did both times and the engine has been perfect, except those couple of minutes in Jul/Aug-20 (one CEL) and Nov-20 (one CEL). I am simply glad I didn't go to the dealer to service the electronic throttle control.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts