Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday at night I turned to the Tesla live party just to stay informed. I dance with my car so not planning a solo. However, I’m intrigued on what self-driving technology any, Alfa is planning to release. Any speculations or insights? There was some buzz several months ago, just search.“Giulia self-driving” in twitter (https://twitter.com/search?q=giulia%20self%20driving&src=typd)

BTW In my opinion, their Model 3 “Minimalistic” interior is terrible. A lot of lessons to learn from Alfa Romeo!
@LuisDanS

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,158 Posts
Yesterday at night I turned to the Tesla live party just to stay informed. I dance with my car so not planning a solo. However, I’m intrigued on what self-driving technology any, Alfa is planning to release. Any speculations or insights? There was some buzz several months ago, just search.“Giulia self-driving” in twitter (https://twitter.com/search?q=giulia%20self%20driving&src=typd)

BTW In my opinion, their Model 3 “Minimalistic” interior is terrible. A lot of lessons to learn from Alfa Romeo!
@LuisDanS
I don't like most things about the Model 3-not enough range (I drive 240 miles at a time and need quite a bit of margin on that number so I can have headlights and air conditioning), not enough tactile based controls, too much glass on the roof (I prefer none), and no AWD.

I don't want to be a self driving car guinea pig. Some nanny in the system is likely to tell me that the car isn't safe to drive in a winter storm (which I do frequently) or that it can't figure out where the lane is on a snow covered road so it is going to stop. Maybe 10 years from now after half the early adopters have been killed by their cars. Some self driving cars are being designed with no steering wheel or pedals (Google and Ford). That may be fine for an automated taxi to get you around town, but I don't see that working on the open road. I still want a real ignition switch and emergency brake.

On a related point: what happens when the battery in your fob runs dead while you are on the road?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think self driving tech is an inevitability, maybe it won't fully roll out in a few years but it definitely will in the foreseeable future. It's simply safer and more efficient in terms of traffic management, and the hardware/software will be readily available and cheap enough to put into every single car. A bigger hassle would be on the regulations side, but once that is done, there's no turning back. So, let's enjoy driving our cars while we still can :(
(If this keeps up, eventually human driving will be banned from public roads)

BTW, speaking of model 3, Motor Trend seems to like the handling a lot based on the first drive review. The writer even mentioned Alfa Giulia (he drove a 2.0T Giulia on his way to the test drive) and described it as a "wet sponge" compared to model 3, whatever that means. I guess it is possible to design an EV that's fun to drive. It has a very low center of gravity after all. Still not convinced about it's interior design though.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Vesuvio/Red, Perf Pkg, CF all over.
176 Posts
Remember the story a few months ago about the two guys who jumped into the back seat of their Tesla and tried out autonomous driving. It ran into a power pole, caught fire and both car and passengers were burnt to a crisp. Took numerous hours and thousands of gallons of water to put out the fire. Now imagine a dozen Tesla’s crashing in a heavy fog. Talk about something totally lit ! Thanks, but no thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts