Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfa Romeo had a small presence at the Seattle Auto Show this weekend.

They had a Vesuvio Grey Stelvio and a Trofeo White Quad on display, which were stunning.

Unfortunately, both of them were on a platform fronted by a pair of spokesmodels. You couldn't get inside them or even close enough to see in the window.

Having sat in a Stelvio and owning my own Quad, I didn't really need to get in them, but it seems to me that Alfa is wasting an opportunity to have thousands of people experience their cars. Sit in them, feel the interior, pop the hood, etc.

For example, a passerby asked about the size of the Stelvio, if it was "about like a Q5" as it's hard to judge when it's up on a platform. It would have been nice if people would have been able to judge for themselves.

Bummer

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks! Sorry I missed that. I'll put a reminder on for next year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You would think they would have had at least a TI that people could sit in, feel the wheel etc.

I've had quite a few people that ask about mine. I always try to talk it up. I want Alfa to stick around this time!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Similar experience at the Philadelphia Auto show last year. The cars were roped off and untouchable

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
was the opposite at the NYIAS this past year...while they had cars on platforms...all models were on the floor open for people...
except the Stelvio QV....regular Stelvio was available/open

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,435 Posts
Afraid of coffee being spilled in Seattle?

Reactions: Jason McInnis

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seattle is a big city so I doubt this is the case, however...auto show displays are one of two types. Manufacturer provided or dealer provided. Usually the dealer provided are more restricted as they are true local dealer inventory and they want to protect the cars. The Las Vegas Auto Show is a prime example of this. The local BMW dealer keeps all cars on display locked at the show. Some of the other dealers keep their cars unlocked.

Edit: It does appear this is a dealer sponsored show. Owned by the Washington State Dealers Association and produced by MotorTrend. This would be very different from the LA, NY, Chicago, or Detroit shows that are true auto manufacturer shows.

http://seattleautoshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2018-Seattle-Fact-Sheet-FINAL-11-3.pdf

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Regretfully, people can behave like animals and vandalize auto show cars....it's a reflection of the decline of fundamental behavior and manners in society at large.....:crying:

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Regretfully, people can behave like animals and vandalize auto show cars....it's a reflection of the decline of fundamental behavior and manners in society at large.....:crying:
Huge problem in Detroit. Someone actually slashed a Giulia's seats this past January. :frown2::mad:

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Huge problem in Detroit. Someone actually slashed a Giulia's seats this past January. :frown2::mad:
At an auto show??? :frown2: WTH!?
Sadly, yes. I've lost track of missing shift knobs and such. I imagine it's not unique to NAIAS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Detroit has been bad for a number of years. I would go on a Saturday night...gangs of thugs roam the hall. About 8 years ago there was a fight between the gangs too near for comfort. That was the last time for me. Really too bad.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Detroit has been bad for a number of years. I would go on a Saturday night...gangs of thugs roam the hall. About 8 years ago there was a fight between the gangs too near for comfort. That was the last time for me. Really too bad.
I'm going to continue attending. The curfew put in place has helped, and there are probably as many adults as kids vandalizing cars and taking "souvenirs". My understanding is that there will be more surveillance going forward, though that may not be much of a deterrent until prosecutions result.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's too bad, because of all the mainstream manufacturers only Alfa and to some extent Porsche were like that. Porsche keeps all their cars locked, but they are at least accessible.

BMW & Mercedes had huge displays, with people all in and out of the cars. Maserati allowed people in. Honda even had a new NSX, and although it was locked you could at least go up to it and look in.

Alfa, you gotta pay to play!

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Jaguar used to keep their cars locked. They did me a favor 20+ years ago by letting my wife and me sit in one. That's where I proposed. Yes, at an auto show!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Fact is, and Frankfurt was the first to show this, the big shows are losing steam with the Marques. They cost big dollars to attend, logistics are an issue and of course but to a lesser degree the damage done to cars.
At the NYIAS this Spring ALL the Porsche Cars were locked up....as were the Mercs. BMW had cars open to the public but not all (M760il)
Jaguar was locked up and had a small display....
I can see the draw to a certain degree from a buyers perspective, all cars under one roof to look over...there was a time when you could actually buy a car at the show from a dealer...(not a car sitting there, but actually speak with a dealer and have papers drawn up)..I did that with an 87 Mitsubishi Starion ESIR...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Bottom line is, auto shows should be held were civilized people participate, not a difficult concept.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts