Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my new car on Wednesday (Q4 TI Sport) and I remain a little confused about the Sport seats. I've read in several posts that they don't have the same tilt function as the Lusso seats, but on my test drive of the TI Sport the seats seemed to have all the same controls (including tilt) as the Lusso (plus the two buttons for the back bolsters). Is there any chance this was changed in MY18 or did I likely just miss the difference in the two seats during my test drives?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm picking up my new car on Wednesday (Q4 TI Sport) and I remain a little confused about the Sport seats. I've read in several posts that they don't have the same tilt function as the Lusso seats, but on my test drive of the TI Sport the seats seemed to have all the same controls (including tilt) as the Lusso (plus the two buttons for the back bolsters). Is there any chance this was changed in MY18 or did I likely just miss the difference in the two seats during my test drives?
MY18 Ti sport with sports seats. No bottom seat tilt. Nov 2017 build date.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks....I must have missed this. Oh well....still very glad I am getting the Ti Sport vs. the Lusso....imho it fits the character of the car much better (and I did NOT like those Lusso wheels!)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Thanks....I must have missed this. Oh well....still very glad I am getting the Ti Sport vs. the Lusso....imho it fits the character of the car much better (and I did NOT like those Lusso wheels!)
I really wanted a hybrid Lusso x Sport, not so much for the seat tilt (my MY18 Ti Sport does not have lower cushion tilt either, though I'd like that), but more for getting the Lusso front and rear fascias, Lusso wood interior trim and chrome window trim rather than Sport aluminum and black trim, and Sport seats and 19" wheels rather than Lusso seats and wheels. I don't mind the look of the Lusso wheel, I just don't want to clean them!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I really wanted a hybrid Lusso x Sport, not so much for the seat tilt (my MY18 Ti Sport does not have lower cushion tilt either, though I'd like that), but more for getting the Lusso front and rear fascias, Lusso wood interior trim and chrome window trim rather than Sport aluminum and black trim, and Sport seats and 19" wheels rather than Lusso seats and wheels. I don't mind the look of the Lusso wheel, I just don't want to clean them!
Funny, I would have liked a hibrid, too, although for different reasons. I'd have preferred the sport fascia, especially the rear diffuser, and windows trim, but with the lusso wood interior and seats (which I got, were a must). I lucked out on the wheels (have the turbine ones which I like) and I got the performance package, so I have the paddle shifters, adaptive suspension and slip diff. So I'll put up with the chrome windows trim, unless I find an easy way to change/cover them.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Funny, I would have liked a hibrid, too, although for different reasons. I'd have preferred the sport fascia, especially the rear diffuser, and windows trim, but with the lusso wood interior and seats (which I got, were a must). I lucked out on the wheels (have the turbine ones which I like) and I got the performance package, so I have the paddle shifters, adaptive suspension and slip diff. So I'll put up with the chrome windows trim, unless I find an easy way to change/cover them.
But the Montecarlo Blue must look so elegant with the chrome window trim, though!

·
Registered
630 Posts
but on my test drive of the TI Sport the seats seemed to have all the same controls (including tilt) as the Lusso (plus the two buttons for the back bolsters). Is there any chance this was changed in MY18 or did I likely just miss the difference in the two seats during my test drives?
I think in all the excitement you missed the difference. Sport seats have one motor to raise and lower the seat cushion. There may be a tiny amount of tilt simply due to the geometry of the mechanism. But it’s not like the Lusso seat cushion, which has two motors: one in the front to tilt the seat cushion and one motor in the rear to raise the seat cushion up and down. AFAIK there was no mid-year change on this.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
I think in all the excitement you missed the difference. Sport seats have one motor to raise and lower the seat cushion. There may be a tiny amount of tilt simply due to the geometry of the mechanism. But it’s not like the Lusso seat cushion, which has two motors: one in the front to tilt the seat cushion and one motor in the rear to raise the seat cushion up and down. AFAIK there was no mid-year change on this.
I just saw December build at the dealership, and you are correct the sport seats have not changed for model year ‘18.

Not finding it issue though IMHO.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have Lusso seats and I don't think they tilt. There is a front thigh support which raises and lowers, but that's not really tilt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Congrats on the Alfa. Do you know any good locations to drive on out there?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have Lusso seats and I don't think they tilt. There is a front thigh support which raises and lowers, but that's not really tilt.

Lusso seats have a front height adjustment motor. Used independently or in combination with the rear height adjustment motor, you can adjust the tilt of the bottom cushion. This adjustment mostly controls how much thigh support you have. Which many of us with Ti Sport seats wish we had.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lusso seats have a front height adjustment motor. Used independently or in combination with the rear height adjustment motor, you can adjust the tilt of the bottom cushion. This adjustment mostly controls how much thigh support you have. Which many of us with Ti Sport seats wish we had.
I just got a 2018 Ti Sport and noticed it doesn’t have the seat cushion “tilt” feature. Super disappointed ☹! Does anyone know if that can be added??

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just got a 2018 Ti Sport and noticed it doesn’t have the seat cushion “tilt” feature. Super disappointed ! Does anyone know if that can be added??
Not easily. Even if you could source the seat bottom frame and electric motor and switch (new or from another vehicle), you’re missing the necessary wiring harness and the body control module coding. It’s theoretically possible, especially if you have a wiTech and play around with the coding. But FCA, like most manufacturers, have been putting the clamp down on aftermarket coding. Which is why you need a dealer to alter your vehicle configuration in VIP system before you can activate Apple Car Play. So even if you have the right hardware and software, you need mfr authorization to alter the configuration of your vehicle. It makes sense they would disallow most non-original configurations as a general policy, thus making OEM+ retrofits a special exception to the rule that requires DSM and dealer coordination.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not easily. Even if you could source the seat bottom frame and electric motor and switch (new or from another vehicle), you’re missing the necessary wiring harness and the body control module coding. It’s theoretically possible, especially if you have a wiTech and play around with the coding. But FCA, like most manufacturers, have been putting the clamp down on aftermarket coding. Which is why you need a dealer to alter your vehicle configuration in VIP system before you can activate Apple Car Play. So even if you have the right hardware and software, you need mfr authorization to alter the configuration of your vehicle. It makes sense they would disallow most non-original configurations as a general policy, thus making OEM+ retrofits a special exception to the rule that requires DSM and dealer coordination.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 White/Black, Performance Pkg., Leather Pkg., 35W Xenon, Static Assist, Sunroof, Navigation
225 Posts
Stack of washers and a couple longer seat bolts fixes this
Get 2 (two) 10 X 1.5 (thread pitch) X 60mm or 70 mm (length) The length of the threads depends on how many washers/spacers/collars you are going to use. Factory bolts are 10.9 (bolt strength) and are 30mm long. So, whatever the measured amount of spacers you use to raise the seat, in the interest of safety, you should increase your bolt length by al least that amount. I used (2) two 10mm thick collars for a total of 20mm. (I used 60mm bolts) The collars had 5mm of material on the washer flats for good support for the bottom of the seat rails. (There isn't enough material on the flat of a plain washer. At least in my way of thinking, there isn't.) It made all the difference in the world! You will also need an M50 Torx bit to remove the factory bolts. I used12.9 strength bolts to be on the safe side. Before I did this, the seat had about zero support on my thighs, and I wasn't comfortable. I haven't gotten around to it, because this small amount made it just about perfect, but I might try adding another 5 or 10 mm's to see if it is an improvement. Of course, changing something as critical as seat mounting could have catastrophic results. So, choose your hardware carefully! And, I never suggested this, or even wrote it! Do this at your own risk!

Reactions: freedomgli

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
only MY2020 have the tilt :)

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Misano Blue / Tan
338 Posts
2019 Ti Sport and my seat cushions do have tilt. The front of the seat bottom will pivot up and down. Not sure if this feature was added later or something but I do have it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.