Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seat release mechanism for the back driver side seat is broke.

I was taking my car to get tinted this morning. When I woke up, my first thought was to see if I couldn’t get the panel off and protect the amp. So I released the seat and played around until I deemed it too complicated.

Anyway... I took the car to the tinter and he said he’d have a look around before commiting to doing the tint job. He came back out to me and said he didn’t feel comfortable tinting the car. This was because he didn’t know enough about the amp issue and wanted to post on some tinters only forums for some advice.

In addition to wanting to be knowledgeable about the amp issue he advised me that he couldn’t get my driver side seat down to remove the head rest or the trunk trim piece that covers the amp.

I told him that I had just done it. He acknowledged that but then drove my car back around and sent me off. He’s supposed to call me by the end of the day if he can talk to someone who’s done a giulia before.

So I get home and sure enough... the release @ the top of the trunk for the driver side rear seat isn’t working and the seat is locked in place.

After much fooling around I’ve discovered that I have to essentially pull the lever and reach back into the latch mechanism “compartment” and grabe the actual metal wire and give it a stiff tug for the seat to unlatch. This sucks because it’s such a tight space. I couldn’t expect my wife to do this.

This is not a problem I love to see on a new luxury car. I’ll live with it for a while b/c I live 2 hrs away from any Alfa dealer and I’m sure this will require time and a part that they won’t have on hand.

Anyone had this or something similar happen?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,946 Posts
I had something similar happen on my passenger side release as a consequence of "messing with it". I thought I would see if I could release the seat back by pulling the cable housing sideways instead of by operating the lever. This pulled the cable housing out of its guides and did not release the mechanism. At that point the lever would not release the seat either. I then put the cable housing back in the center guide (still not working) and then traced the cable towards the release with my fingertips while operating the lever with my other hand. This yielded a "snap" and now the mechanism is working again.

I do not know what clicked, but conclude that if the cable housing it not fully in its guides this mechanism does not work.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had something similar happen on my passenger side release as a consequence of "messing with it". I thought I would see if I could release the seat back by pulling the cable housing sideways instead of by operating the lever. This pulled the cable housing out of its guides and did not release the mechanism. At that point the lever would not release the seat either. I then put the cable housing back in the center guide (still not working) and then traced the cable towards the release with my fingertips while operating the lever with my other hand. This yielded a "snap" and now the mechanism is working again.

I do not know what clicked, but conclude that if the cable housing it not fully in its guides this mechanism does not work.
Thanks for the reply. I fear I have broken the guide in my case. If I stick my fingers in the small compartment I can feel a loose plastic piece.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I fear I have broken the guide in my case. If I stick my fingers in the small compartment I can feel a loose plastic piece.
It is obvious to anyone reading this that said plastic part broke because it was defective and needs to be replaced under warranty :)

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
At some point I suspect I will be replacing these cables with a bicycle brake cable housing and wire, which is a lot sturdier than what AR installed. Figuring out how to make the cable ends work is the only hard part.

If somebody figures out how to get to the seat back latch, please post it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At some point I suspect I will be replacing these cables with a bicycle brake cable housing and wire, which is a lot sturdier than what AR installed. Figuring out how to make the cable ends work is the only hard part.

If somebody figures out how to get to the seat back latch, please post it.
I’ve discovered that my issue is at the latch. Some kind of tension piece of plastic. The cable doesn’t work but it’s not actually snapped or stretched. Instead I seem to have broken some plastic guide or sorts. I can’t see it... but I can feel it. It’s as if the cable runs through it. I can release the seat by reaching my fingers behind the latch and placing extra tension on the cable while pulling the release with the other hand. It’s a delicate song and dance but considering my dealer is 2 a 3 hrs away Ill just live with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts