Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am well versed in the seat options and functions...

For those who have been in BOTH seats, could you please tell me how does seat room differ from seat to seat? I have heard many conflicting opinions and read every thread on every forum I can find. I have sourced a car but it has the CF Sparco seats. I have always thought the standard power seats would be a better option but if I can be comfortable in these Im probably going to buy the car. I have broad shoulders and a overall wider body that sometimes poses problems for race seats.

Background, I have had two Giulias on order and there has been problems with both. First one came and it was specced differently than even the build sheet said and the second one (been waiting since March) just got pushed to a MY 2018 unbelievably.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Wow, March to 2018, that's a big jump. I don't remember if I sat in the Sparcos. My impression is that they might actually have more room side to side but be a little firmer in cushioning. It the power seats are anything like the Daytona seats in my 360, the bolsters are generous, a bit narrow and may actually give you some pressure points in the left thigh area. This may be more in the rear engine Ferraris with the pedals offset to the inboard center line because of the front wheel wells being so close. BUT, the power seats and Ti seats have the thigh extension which is brilliant and would have been golden in my 17 year old Miata I added washers under the front seat brackets to give my knees some more support.

Reactions: SWorks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I don't really understand what happened. The verdict is still out on where exactly the car is and what the ETA may be. I spoke to Alfa Romeo directly a couple times and they aren't sure either. Weird.

Thanks for the input on the seats. A salesman at the dealer where I originally ordered a car said I would be "too big" for the Sparcos. I sat in the standard Quad seats on the incorrect car I ordered and they weren't especially comfortable. In fact, my issues with them were similar to the ones you mentioned may be problems. There was a customer ordered car with Sparcos there but he wouldn't allow me to sit in it. My seats in my RS4 seem more comfortable, however they aren't brand new either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I found the standard seats too small for me. Side bolsters not deep enough, not wide enough, and overall height too tall. Felt like I was sitting on the seats rather than in it, and the adjustable bolsters would pinch behind my back and push me forward rather than wrap around my sides.

Sparco seats feel more roomy yet with deeper bolsters. And of course significantly lower. For me, they are supremely comfortable on long distances. I regularly do 300 miles non stop now. The regular seats I found uncomfortable after a short test drive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm 6'6" and 225

I have the Sparcos and would get them again in a heartbeat!

They feel amazing and look even better.

I drove the demo at my dealer with the standard seats and they are really nice as well. I just love those carbon seats though

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
703 Posts
I have the standard Quadrifoglio seats and have been in a couple of cars with the Sparco seats as well.

To me, the Sparco seats feel great when I sit in them. I definitely don't feel they are too narrow for me, and I do feel that way about most other "race" seats. But I don't have any long distance drives in them to give an opinion beyond that.

The question you need to answer is: Do you need adjustable lumbar, adjustable thigh supports, and seat heaters? If those things aren't important to you I think you'll be happy with the Sparco seats.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Edc, I think we met at Concorso Ferrari and Friends? If so, thanks for letting me sit in your seats. The Sparcos are really comfortable and do feel more roomy side to side. I do want the seat heaters and thigh supports so I will stick with them but if you need room, try the carbon seats. One additional plus is the lack of seat memory function or auto slide back on exit? I think you can set it with the normal seats but Sparcos are manual front to back.

Reactions: Edc_2104

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm 5' 9" at 120-125lbs, the standard seats feel a bit firm to me and the bigger bolsters were intruding my arms. I felt more comfortable in the Sparco seats, resting my arm to have my hand to be positioned for the shifter/knobs were much easier and natural.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,158 Posts
I'm 5' 9" at 120-125lbs, the standard seats feel a bit firm to me and the bigger bolsters were intruding my arms. I felt more comfortable in the Sparco seats, resting my arm to have my hand to be positioned for the shifter/knobs were much easier and natural.
Are you resting your elbow on the arm rests? I had shoulder surgery 2 years ago to correct a problem caused by chronically putting my weight on arm rests. I have since learned to live completely without arm rests and both my shoulders are thanking me.

Are the QV regular seats and the Ti sport seats the same? I found the Ti sport seats to be a bit tight for by 5' 11" x 190lb frame even with the bolsters adjusted as wide as possible. I wonder if a good upholsterer can take the seat apart and shave the bolsters or if the bolsters will soften with time? I'm not sure the seats would qualify as comfortable on a long drive and my principal intended use for the car is long drives.

I didn't try to see if the lumbar support could push my back far enough forward to avoid being squeezed by the bolsters.

I did not find that the bolsters interfered with my arm movements. It's the squeezing of my rib cage that ranged from gentle to very uncomfortable that may be a problem.

·
Registered
658 Posts
if the bolsters will soften with time?
I have found that the bolsters softened / grip less tightly over time. Either that or I'm a different shape because I used to notice them being snug and now I don't. But I haven't sat in the sparco seats so I don't know how they compare.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i sat in the Sparco-- too confining, and not adjustable enough
i sat in the luxury- fine but not that supportive.. liked having the power base angle adjustment
i sat in the base- didn't like at all--no support not comfortable
i sat in the sport -- liked but too confining in the thighs, and no angle adjustment of the base
i sat in the Quad- fine... base adjustable.. nice bolsters and thigh support but not as confining as the sport seat package, and overall a nice balance for me..
I would have preferred the sport look, the luxury base power adjustment, and the lighter color interior in my QV but thats not an option. I think AR is missing out on sales and satisfaction by being so limiting..... its just not that much more expensive to allow this option.
but i ended up ordering a quad.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Choosing the seats was the hardest decision for me when spec'ing out my order. Sight unseen I would have picked the Sparcos but now that I sat in both back to back I am going with the standard QV seats. At 5'5" and 125 lbs the sparcos, as beautiful as they are, just aren't a good fit for me personally. One, I like to sit with proper track seating position at all times and I am just sitting too deep in the sparcos, the edge of the seat pushes against the back of the top of my calves. I could see circulation getting cut off after long periods of driving. With no bolster adjustments there is too much lateral movement for even every day driving let alone track days. My wife is only 5' so I'm sure she would be terribly uncomfortable in the sparcos as well. With complete adjustability with the standard QV seats I felt like they fit me like a glove. I spent about 15 minutes in the showroom playing with the settings but once I got the perfect seating position figured out I was sold on the standard seats. Plus I now get to save $2750 which I can use towards other goodies (CF Mirrors, CF Rear Diffuser if they ever make one, aftermarket exhaust) and I get heated seats and heated steering wheel. Living in Chicago these are crucial creature comforts.

As much as I love the look of the sparcos there were too many positives for the standard seats - more comfortable, more adjustability, less money, heated seats and heated steering wheel. This is my only car so it has to satisfy every day life and the 5-10 days I go to the track. Oh yeah, and keep my wife happy too :D

Good luck with the decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input everybody!

Choosing the seats was the hardest decision for me when spec'ing out my order. Sight unseen I would have picked the Sparcos but now that I sat in both back to back I am going with the standard QV seats. At 5'5" and 125 lbs the sparcos, as beautiful as they are, just aren't a good fit for me personally. One, I like to sit with proper track seating position at all times and I am just sitting too deep in the sparcos, the edge of the seat pushes against the back of the top of my calves. I could see circulation getting cut off after long periods of driving. With no bolster adjustments there is too much lateral movement for even every day driving let alone track days. My wife is only 5' so I'm sure she would be terribly uncomfortable in the sparcos as well. With complete adjustability with the standard QV seats I felt like they fit me like a glove. I spent about 15 minutes in the showroom playing with the settings but once I got the perfect seating position figured out I was sold on the standard seats. Plus I now get to save $2750 which I can use towards other goodies (CF Mirrors, CF Rear Diffuser if they ever make one, aftermarket exhaust) and I get heated seats and heated steering wheel. Living in Chicago these are crucial creature comforts.

As much as I love the look of the sparcos there were too many positives for the standard seats - more comfortable, more adjustability, less money, heated seats and heated steering wheel. This is my only car so it has to satisfy every day life and the 5-10 days I go to the track. Oh yeah, and keep my wife happy too :D

Good luck with the decision.
Thank you to everyone who replied to my thread. I pulled the trigger on the car (not wanting to wait a THIRD time for a Quad) and it's being picked up by a truck tomorrow. It's exactly what I wanted anyway, other than the seats but I've decided to try the Sparcos. The car should be at my door next weekend. Supremely excited, especially after all the previous heart ache and waiting.

Thanks again gents ??

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Sparco's are great and provide more room! Shockingly, they are adjustable although a bit limited. I'm 6ft and about 195lbs right now. A friend also drove it and loved them, he's about 6'3 and 350lbs. He would get the sparcos in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Edc, I think we met at Concorso Ferrari and Friends? If so, thanks for letting me sit in your seats. The Sparcos are really comfortable and do feel more roomy side to side. I do want the seat heaters and thigh supports so I will stick with them but if you need room, try the carbon seats. One additional plus is the lack of seat memory function or auto slide back on exit? I think you can set it with the normal seats but Sparcos are manual front to back.
Yup. That's me!

Good luck with your upcoming QV!!

I'm sure you will love it as much as I love mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am well versed in the seat options and functions...

For those who have been in BOTH seats, could you please tell me how does seat room differ from seat to seat? I have heard many conflicting opinions and read every thread on every forum I can find. I have sourced a car but it has the CF Sparco seats. I have always thought the standard power seats would be a better option but if I can be comfortable in these Im probably going to buy the car. I have broad shoulders and a overall wider body that sometimes poses problems for race seats.

Background, I have had two Giulias on order and there has been problems with both. First one came and it was specced differently than even the build sheet said and the second one (been waiting since March) just got pushed to a MY 2018 unbelievably.

Thanks in advance!
What did you order? Several cars got pushed to 2018 model years as they cut off production.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Order

What did you order? Several cars got pushed to 2018 model years as they cut off production.
I had a Comp. Red Quad with black interior and standard seats, CCBs, steering wheel, stereo, assistance pack. Basically everything but the carbon seats. I happened to get a call from a dealer I talked to 5 months ago that had the exact car I wanted (saving the SPARCO seats, which I have come to the conclusion are actually the ones I want anyway..) because the guy who ordered it "had a change in his personal situation". I jumped on the opportunity and it just got loaded on a truck two hours ago to head my direction.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yup. That's me!

Good luck with your upcoming QV!!

I'm sure you will love it as much as I love mine.
Thanks edc! It was great to see you out with your son, and his child seat strapped in the back.. of your QV! :D
I've avoided bugging the dealership but may check in this week to see if I have a VON yet.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you resting your elbow on the arm rests? I had shoulder surgery 2 years ago to correct a problem caused by chronically putting my weight on arm rests. I have since learned to live completely without arm rests and both my shoulders are thanking me.

Are the QV regular seats and the Ti sport seats the same? I found the Ti sport seats to be a bit tight for by 5' 11" x 190lb frame even with the bolsters adjusted as wide as possible. I wonder if a good upholsterer can take the seat apart and shave the bolsters or if the bolsters will soften with time? I'm not sure the seats would qualify as comfortable on a long drive and my principal intended use for the car is long drives.

I didn't try to see if the lumbar support could push my back far enough forward to avoid being squeezed by the bolsters.

I did not find that the bolsters interfered with my arm movements. It's the squeezing of my rib cage that ranged from gentle to very uncomfortable that may be a problem.
I recently test drove a 2018 QV, Rosso Competizione and cc brakes and standard seats, and once I inclined to the seatback so it was comfortable and of the head rest didn't bother me, I found the seats quite comfortable. When I first sat in the car I noticed the side bolsters, but they were not tight. The car had 100 miles on it when I drove it. Unfortunately that car was sold before I could get back to the dealer. Yesterday I visited another dealer that had a Misano Blue Metallic 2019 QV they had gotten recently, and didn't bother test driving it because when I sat it, even adjusted with the least intrusion, the side bolsters pressed on my rib cage as you described. I sat in the seats of a 2018 right behind it and it also pressed on my rib cage. I don't know why the side bolsters on previous car I test drove did not bother me, unless they do loosen up in time and 100 miles was enough to do it.

At the dealer where I test drove the Rosso Competizione car, I sat in a Stelvio that had the Sparco seats, and I found them much more uncomfortable, with the side bolsters pressing more than the car I test drove with the regular sport seats, the head rest seemed to be a bit further forward, and they were stiffer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Agree with all that's been said about the comfort of the seats. The Sparcos are really nice and they look terrific too. I found these much more comfortable than the standard seats especially around the torso. My only gripe with these seats is the lack of a tilt function. I find that the front edge of the seat starts to bother my thighs a little after a long drive. Would have been great if one could tilt the front edge down just a little.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts