Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a number of people have ceramic and xpel etc but wondering what the process is with what you have if you have a scuff appear. My heart sank when I saw this at the weekend (I sprayed, filled and fixed myself) so I know as with my other cars this is GOING to happen and always when I looks it's best but do you need to respect reapply the various methods? Just interested

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I know a number of people have ceramic and xpel etc but wondering what the process is with what you have if you have a scuff appear. My heart sank when I saw this at the weekend (I sprayed, filled and fixed myself) so I know as with my other cars this is GOING to happen and always when I looks it's best but do you need to respect reapply the various methods? Just interested
With Ceramic pro they recommend a yearly maintenance reapplication procedure, that they fill and fix minor scrapes and such.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! so that'd kind of a maintenance plan right? if you scrape within the year you have to pay the same i'd assume?

·
Registered
547 Posts
thanks! so that'd kind of a maintenance plan right? if you scrape within the year you have to pay the same i'd assume?
No usually the yearly maintenance thing is only like $100 they just smooth out any scratches and reapply a coat of the Ceramic Pro. If they have to repair a dent or actually match paint then it's more. I have had the Ceramic Pro and Clear bra's on all my cars for the past 3 years and I highly recommend it. I wash my vehicles a lot less, never have to wax them and the paint looks brand new. IMO its worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree think it's a good idea.. guess i'm trying to work out the steps to go through to not having it? If that scuff happened with 'all' the protection you'd have to:

1. Pay $100 a year maintenance (which is peanuts I admit)
2. Pay for respray/fix
3. Pay for additional ceramic re-application (not covered by the $100 right?) Would that be a ful re-apply to the bumper?
4. Pay for new xpel. Would that be a ful re-apply to the bumper?

Or are there plans to cover all of that if the worst happens

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ouch! :(

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree think it's a good idea.. guess i'm trying to work out the steps to go through to not having it? If that scuff happened with 'all' the protection you'd have to:

1. Pay $100 a year maintenance (which is peanuts I admit)
2. Pay for respray/fix
3. Pay for additional ceramic re-application (not covered by the $100 right?) Would that be a ful re-apply to the bumper?
4. Pay for new xpel. Would that be a ful re-apply to the bumper?

Or are there plans to cover all of that if the worst happens
There's nothing that is going to cover scuffs like that. The clear bra with the Ceramic Pro helps protect against rock chips and such. It would help minimize your current scruff but I don't believe it would prevent it from happening. Visit the following links to learn more about each product;

http://ceramicpro.com/your-industry/ceramic-coating-for-cars-ceramic-pro/

http://www.xpel.com/why-xpel/

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Low supercars require skidplates and all out suspension raising systems. You can make your own skid plates though. And the 3M adhesives are good enough to get by without drilling.

I made a set for my 360, which was pretty well scuffed up under the bumper/radiator openings. You really just needed a triangular patch of ABS, PVC, PVA... plastic to take the hit and give way while sliding at the same time. 3M heavy duty auto molding trim does the same thing. I cut strips, assembled sections, and applied it with the mounting backing. It works great and is not visible, even at tire height. The problem here is the shape of the curve which does appear visible from the side. Is that a lower bumper edge? You can consider this... would a strip of molding trim around the bottom edge of the bumper be an eyesore? Maybe you can get it in a similar color? Also consider driveway ramps. I decided to bolt mine together and put them out permanently last month in preparation for the Giulia. Makes getting in and out in the Ferrari a lot easier too without moving them. The tape is removable with dental floss, dish detergent for lubricant, and goo gone to remove the adhesive.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
For reference... Last shot is after touch up.

Attachments

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's another low cost alternative for skid plates that I have used on exotic cars. Furniture sliders, As Seen on TV. These plastic, teflon sliders come in all sizes and shapes. Just 3M tape them on at strategic locations under the bumper structure and they defend against speed bumps, low angle driveways and not so high curbs. Under heavy impact they just sheer off and under slow impact, they glide over the obstacle. Worth a try as they have severed me well.

Low supercars require skidplates and all out suspension raising systems. You can make your own skid plates though. And the 3M adhesives are good enough to get by without drilling.

I made a set for my 360, which was pretty well scuffed up under the bumper/radiator openings. You really just needed a triangular patch of ABS, PVC, PVA... plastic to take the hit and give way while sliding at the same time. 3M heavy duty auto molding trim does the same thing. I cut strips, assembled sections, and applied it with the mounting backing. It works great and is not visible, even at tire height. The problem here is the shape of the curve which does appear visible from the side. Is that a lower bumper edge? You can consider this... would a strip of molding trim around the bottom edge of the bumper be an eyesore? Maybe you can get it in a similar color? Also consider driveway ramps. I decided to bolt mine together and put them out permanently last month in preparation for the Giulia. Makes getting in and out in the Ferrari a lot easier too without moving them. The tape is removable with dental floss, dish detergent for lubricant, and goo gone to remove the adhesive.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they're all good ideas thanks for sharing.

I've come to accept that these type of scuffs come with owning a nice car (with my equation being nice = lower than normal = scuff). What I was really trying to ascertain as my scuff on the door handle was someone else and unavoidable (short of never using the car) and the scuff on the bumper I have no clue how that happened... as accidents and 'people' are going to happen regardless of protection or not, would the protection need to be reapplied in such circumstances. Without the protection at best, take it to a shop and pay $$$ but with the protection it's $$$ spray shop + xpel + ceramic coating = insurance claim? :)

Not poo pooing anyone's choices and the uses of the protection, like I said I like the idea for stone chips etc...with that said just was interested if these protection companies have covered that in their processes or it's a pay day for everyone other than the owner when this crud happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.