Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I?ve had my ti for about a month now and yesterday as someone tried to pull out of a spot they side swiped me and hit he back bumper. They tried to drive off but I quickly got their plates then they stopped once they realized I have them. Anyways I thought the damage was a lot worse than I was expecting but luckily there?s barely any damage. Most of the marks rubbed off and I now have a very small scratch on the side of my car(note the before and after photos of using a clean rag). Is it worth it to go through insurance to repair it or should I find a body shop that can fix it? Anyone have to get their tri coat red repaired? How much would it cost?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey guys,

I?ve had my ti for about a month now and yesterday as someone tried to pull out of a spot they side swiped me and hit he back bumper. They tried to drive off but I quickly got their plates then they stopped once they realized I have them. Anyways I thought the damage was a lot worse than I was expecting but luckily there?s barely any damage. Most of the marks rubbed off and I now have a very small scratch on the side of my car(note the before and after photos of using a clean rag). Is it worth it to go through insurance to repair it or should I find a body shop that can fix it? Anyone have to get their tri coat red repaired? How much would it cost?
If it's THEIR insurance, go to the most expensive body shop in town. I usually take mine to one that handles Aston Martins in Houston. If it's YOUR insurance, pay cash and try really good paint restoration guys. It'll cost several hundred bucks but they'll get it to 90% and the paint will remain original.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You would be surprised how much $$ a "minor" repair becomes. I would think that Tri coat red would be hard to blend. They might end up painting an entire panel or bumper. I'd go though the others parties insurance...if they have insurance.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Most of the marks rubbed off and I now have a very small scratch on the side of my car(note the before and after photos of using a clean rag).

Couldn't find the photos....Why should you involve your insurance if you were hit....it's their / his / her responsibility to repair the damage....Provide them with two high end estimates and then let them decide either to pay the bill (cash up front) or to go through their insurance....should they stall merely tell them you'll be contacting their insurance carrier....this should be done ASAP....D

·
Registered
646 Posts
For very very small scratches I've had lots of success with Dr Colorchip on other cars. I've used their kits for higher end cars and the paint quality is good and accurate. Even used once for a pistachio fiat 500 and perfect color match, touch ups were 99.9% perfect after I did it then buffed and polished.

Tri-coat on Alfa is special though. Let us know how it turns out with your repair.

(My car is the same color, so I'm very interested in what they tell you.)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Indeed, good luck on a color match for the tri-coat.

We were just told that allegedly dealerships do not even have touch-up paint; that is, Alfa hasn't supplied them yet. Which is amazing since Alfa has been in the US for a year now...

·
Registered
869 Posts
+1 on Dr. Colorchip. I had a tricoat pearl Nissan Murano that they matched pretty dang close. Looked a lot better than the chips.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just ordered touch up paint from:
automotivetouchup.com
888-710-5192 ext 109

They had to over-ride their system to manually enter the color code for Competition Red for the Alfa Giulia.
States: manually entered code 361-Rosso Competizion Pearl
He told me that it is a dry 3 step process from Alfa so you need to order base, pearl, and clear.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I just ordered touch up paint from:
automotivetouchup.com
888-710-5192 ext 109

They had to over-ride their system to manually enter the color code for Competition Red for the Alfa Giulia.
States: manually entered code 361-Rosso Competizion Pearl
He told me that it is a dry 3 step process from Alfa so you need to order base, pearl, and clear.

Mike
I ordered from them for my Rosso. Sadly I didn't speak to them but I second the comments they told you. I just got the base annoyingly and it looks crap (at least in my opinion..) very flat. When I took my car to two proper shops they both told me without prompting the paint looks very soft. Hope that's helpful, let us know how yours turns out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it was handled through their insurance since he didn?t want to handle it. I took it to MB of Manhattan expecting quality work but was highly disappointed. When they filled in the scratch they left a need point hole not filled in, I though ok no big deal. I continued to inspect the bumper and noticed 2 imperfections in the paint, like they painted over the bumper without cleaning it. When I brought it up to the advisor he said ?oh that can be buffed out.? Then I noticed the corners wear it mounts to the trunk and headlights was duller than the rest. Like the scratched the bumper trying to put it back on. On top of all this, the repaired scratch wasn?t properly buffed out so it stood out compared to the paint. Once again brought it to the advisor and he stated ?After a few washes it?ll blend in.? They also ran the car through a machine wash even though they assured me it was ?hand washed? so fine swirls throughout the paint and noticeable swirls on the black trim. They charged the insurance company $1400 for the repair. I?ve been meaning to drop it off to fix the issues but MB doesn?t offer loaner and they don?t work weekends. Considering I use the car regularly I won?t be able to leave it with them for another week to fix. Not sure why the photos didn?t upload but I?ll try again. The first couple is when I was hit then rubbed off the other guys paint. Following that is when it was repaired and the small gap they didn?t fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
So it was handled through their insurance since he didn?t want to handle it. I took it to MB of Manhattan expecting quality work but was highly disappointed. When they filled in the scratch they left a need point hole not filled in, I though ok no big deal. I continued to inspect the bumper and noticed 2 imperfections in the paint, like they painted over the bumper without cleaning it. When I brought it up to the advisor he said ?oh that can be buffed out.? Then I noticed the corners wear it mounts to the trunk and headlights was duller than the rest. Like the scratched the bumper trying to put it back on. On top of all this, the repaired scratch wasn?t properly buffed out so it stood out compared to the paint. Once again brought it to the advisor and he stated ?After a few washes it?ll blend in.? They also ran the car through a machine wash even though they assured me it was ?hand washed? so fine swirls throughout the paint and noticeable swirls on the black trim. They charged the insurance company $1400 for the repair. I?ve been meaning to drop it off to fix the issues but MB doesn?t offer loaner and they don?t work weekends. Considering I use the car regularly I won?t be able to leave it with them for another week to fix. Not sure why the photos didn?t upload but I?ll try again. The first couple is when I was hit then rubbed off the other guys paint. Following that is when it was repaired and the small gap they didn?t fix.
Looked pretty superficial in the third picture. Was it just in the clear coat? If so, a good detailer can buff that out.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I'd talk to your insurance company. See if the work is under warranty (I'd think it should be) and get them to repair/buff/paint properly. That's not good enough in my book... if it 'should' buff out, then buff it out for the customer! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's kinda hard to see in the 3rd photo. It's a white spec almost looks like the sparkle. It's definitely paint not filled in, not just clear coat. Like I said, it's a needle tip point. My main concern, living in the North East is salt. Don't want salt filling it in and causing damage long term. Some kids egged my 2014 428xi and it caused a crater in the paint. During the winter noticed rust start to form in the cracks of paint. Took it to the shop and the guy said they had to repaint the whole hood since the rust is under the paint and they can't just buff it off.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I wouldn't accept it, fixed or redone.. what you pay bleeding insurance for, not half a job :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts