Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Quad is not a daily driver and even less so in the Winter. However, this past Saturday my regular car was not available and drove the Quad to the gym. It is was 15 degrees here in Charlotte and I was well aware that the Pirelli are practically unmanageable in cold weather so, I took it very easy. On the way back while in dynamic and manual mode (I like to hear the exhaust) I was thinking of all that I had to do for the weekend and while in third gear perhaps 40/50 mph I must have hit the gas a bit more than I should have. Holy cow, next thing I know the rear is meeting the front, I corrected and it swung the opposite direction. Corrected again and back around it went. Ended up in the other lane pointing in the wrong direction. My saving grace is that I was on a wide 4 lane road at 7:30am with not a soul around. It took 5 years out of my life. Now I understand the pictures that I saw of several Quad destroyed. A very very very close call.

·
Registered
332 Posts
good to hear you are okay and nothing major happened!!! This is exactly what makes me shy away from high HP RWD cars for daily driving. No one is immune from the occasional oversight.

I'd examine those tires carefully. At those temps they can easily crack/damage.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
been there in my old car - scary as ****. Has some RS Ford up my rear going onto a roundabout, as I was coming out the roundabout I floor it forgetting it was raining... sideways slide one way, sideways slide the other, thankfully didn't lose it... got a thumbs up from the Ford behind me thinking I was doing some impressive drift but I was mostly sheet white ;D

Glad everything's ok

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,100 Posts
In Fairbanks there would be a place at your gym to plug in your tire warmers. In Charlotte? Probably not.

Has anyone used their engine block heater? I don't recall seeing the "plug in engine heater" message mentioned in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So many people say the car is drivable...I had the same experience pulling out of a grocery store - temps were 30/40s. I accelerated turning out of the drive....it was a 25 street - rear broke loose. Not like his...but enough of a warning to park it and drop the insurance for the winter (to resist temptation).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
In Fairbanks there would be a place at your gym to plug in your tire warmers. In Charlotte? Probably not.

Has anyone used their engine block heater? I don't recall seeing the "plug in engine heater" message mentioned in the owner's manual.
I have the optional engine block heater but I have not used it, even though the temps have been in the single digits here for days-on-end. The reason, we aren't driving our Giulia out there with the slop and salt. I performed a thorough wash and dry about two weeks ago and just can't fathom the thought of getting her dirty! So, for now, the 01 530i and the 04 330xi will stand duty.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
AlfaGuy, I am glad things turned out ok........

I have driven the Quad yesterday in snow covered roads (10 degrees) and the car was very poised, (in fact I thought the TC in dynamic mode was a bit intrusive) but I had snow tires on......... as you know, those corsas are not any good below 30 degrees, although I am surprised the TC didn't reduce power to the wheels..... unless of course you were on black ice.....
Don't let her scare you, I am sure it wasn't her fault......:smile2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Someone once posted that these tires are like hockey pucks when it's cold outside. I've driven high HP cars my entire life and I'd have to say, exercise extreme caution with the QF.

Steve

·
Registered
526 Posts
I just replaced my Q tires with Continental DWS 06's and it was like night and day traction-wise in the cold. I actually have traction in the cold weather now, amazing! Glad it didn't take a spin like you had to convince me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's usually the part most forget about winter tires.

Tire compound on "extreme performance" summer tires (like OEM Pirelli) usually says NO to temps < 45/50 degrees...for a reason.

Just because your particular climate/region doesn't get much snow doesn't mean you wouldn't benefit from winter tires.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am glad that @AlfaGuy is alright and nothing terrible happened to the car or to the driver.
But I have to say that "A" mode is there for good reason. In such cold temperatures driving in "D" or "R" mode is just not wise.
Past week we had temperatures in high teens and low twenties in DFW. I drive my kids to school in the mornings and stayed in "A" mode and drove gently.
I did not experience any scary moments.
Let's drive safe ya'll - spring is just around the corner. In the meantime be safe!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"doesn't get much snow"

all seasons are a good choice for many, because they work quite well in almost all conditions.

south of boston we had 15 plus inches of snow, followed by below zero weather.
in a couple of days it will be over 50 degrees with rain.

no tire is going to be right for all of that, the best you can ask for is pretty darn good for most anything.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
"doesn't get much snow"

all seasons are a good choice for many, because they work quite well in almost all conditions.

south of boston we had 15 plus inches of snow, followed by below zero weather.
in a couple of days it will be over 50 degrees with rain.

no tire is going to be right for all of that, the best you can ask for is pretty darn good for most anything.
I am going to disagree with you, if I may.......
All seasons are not good for winter and not really that great for summer......

If anyone is going to spend $80K for a QV (especially in the NorthEast), why not have dedicated summer high performance tires and winter snow tires and enjoy the car at its full potential regardless of the temperature conditions?.....

Heck, I have summer performance tires and winter tires on my tow vehicle ('17 Jeep SRT):grin2:

Reactions: lowlight

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
I am going to disagree with you, if I may.......
All seasons are not good for winter and not really that great for summer......

If anyone is going to spend $80K for a QV (especially in the NorthEast), why not have dedicated summer high performance tires and winter snow tires and enjoy the car at its full potential regardless of the temperature conditions?.....

Heck, I have summer performance tires and winter tires on my tow vehicle ('17 Jeep SRT):grin2:
+1

All season = No season

·
Registered
819 Posts
Really surprised the traction control in dynamic didn’t save you from the spin! It is supposed to go just that!

Don’t want to insult your driving but did you keep the gas on too much or something?

FYI Learning to track your car at a HPD school event can help in surprise situations like that. And taking your car into a big empty parking lot on rainy day to practice how it handles when it’s slipping is a very good practice as is rain days at that track.

Otherwise you really only have experience with your car slipping around when something surprise and dangerous like what happened to you happens.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I live in NC and have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 mounted (all seasons). I’ve been driving with temps in the teens in D mode with no problem. In these climates winter tires are really not appropriate. The roads are dry 90% of the time so I’d argue that good all-seasons do better than winter tires under those conditions. The main concern is to get the rubber that stays plyable in the cold. In April I’ll switch back to the Corsas.

·
Registered
8,100 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
if I had to get into my dental practice in 15 inches of snow, I might want different tires,especially if I lived in a rural environment where the plows might be late.

but where I am, the plows are out, non-stop, and there just isn't much accumulation, by the time the snow stops, the roads are clear - wet, maybe a bit of slush here and there, but for the most part dry within 48 hours. ( our first year here was the 8 foot record -I thought I would need snows, but didn't.)

I don't need a dedicated winter/snow tire for that, and it's sure not going to be better at 50 degrees, rain or dry, than a good all season.

do you go with slicks or full rain, if you are expecting some showers? maybe an intermediate is the best choice.

opinion, and we all have our experiences that we base them on.

in any event, I would not recomend a madness go pedal with quicker throttle response for slippery situations.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts