Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer network in pa and adjoining states at this point do not seem to want to find the giulia I want and ordering will result in paying thousands more and waiting quite a long time.
Im fairly disappointed in the dealers ive dealt with too. Id prefer not to call out a dealer specifically but would love to talk to someone at alfa corporate to discuss what I believe to be systemic issues with product awareness, competition awareness and a lack of commitment to sell the brand.

One of the largest issues seem to be that the dealers dont know which cars to order and feel they are going to be stuck with their current inventory. So going out to get a car not on their lot is quite a large pain for them. Even having the right car for me but with white 5 hole rims, asking for a swap out kills the deal.

On a positive note, this month plus long battle to find the car I wanted did result in perfect timing to get a great deal on an audi s4 lease. After test driving the s3 I found the car a great car to drive as a daily driver but the seemingly small size detracted myself and my wife from really liking the car. I eventually drove an s4 and found one with the upgrades and the right deal to put it very close to the giulia sport awd ti that I wanted. Faster car, corners well, interior is overall nicer. Not as fun to drive as the alfa though and obviously the car blends in at the 4pm blue hair restaurant special, but I get a great car with an expansive dealer network where I live which is important vs the one alfa dealer who currently only has 2 bays and 8 giulias on their lot in my area. Next nearest dealer is a train wreck. They dont call people back, their number goes to a cell phone with voicemail that doesnt identify as being an alfa dealer, and my local dealer said they are going to stop selling alfas at the end of the month so after losing that dealer, that leaves me with one dealer within a 3 hour drive.

Alfa is missing out on an opportunity to sell cars in my area, and should work to compete with audi a4s amd mercedes cla250s 300s.

Maybe in a few years Ill get an alfa but right now Im picking up my new s4 next week. Very excited to see it there ready to go for me. Ill br a bit envious driving around other alfas but I suspect they will remain a unicorn in my area for at least another 3 years.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yikes, that's sad. Where in PA are you? I'm from State College but have lived in Boston since my second masters back in 1995. Did you look in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre and Harrisburg? My wait for my order was long but with the market in Boston, I think it was easier.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You are correct about the dealer stock mix - I never see a car with bright wheels and no cars without a sunroof. Really, they should move to the BMW model - most cars are ordered now, 6 weeks to delivery (if Alfa can get their supply chain to meet that, most of the time is spent waiting for a boat).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
can't say I blame you, and it appears AR is favoring fewer big dealers rather than encouraging or cultivating the growth of smaller dealers.
I don't think that's a good long term growth strategy, but it might get a few people good bonus checks for 2018.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry but I don’t get this. Why do you need to pay more when you order a car? Cars are sold at the listing price, no?
I got my special order car for less than MSRP....

I wonder if OP is comparing potential discounts with cars on the lot or potential cost of shipping a car from another dealer.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
If the 5 hole wheels are the only hold up:

You can buy a set of take offs for about $1100 on ebay.

If it is only the color, you can get them repainted. California Wheels, the local high end wheel place (I know, nowhere near Pa) quoted me $700 to change the powder coat on a set of take off Tecnicos including any minor touch up that might be required. I do not know if 5 holes would be more or less (the shape of the 5 holes is more complex than the Tecnicos).

I don't think the issue with the dealers is so much that they ordered the wrong cars as that they ordered a mix of cars and the "right" ones have already been sold. You will find a similar situation at non-Alfa dealerships.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry but I don’t get this. Why do you need to pay more when you order a car? Cars are sold at the listing price, no?
Generally, no.

In the U.S., the sales price is a totally negotiable number, with little relationship to costs and stickers. All cars have a Monroney Sticker that describes domestic content, equipment, gas mileage, place of manufacture, etc. This sticker also has a “MSRP”, or manufacturers suggested retail price. This little piece of fiction is the beginning of all U.S. car purchases.

When cars are new, in demand, or in limited production, dealers can and will “pack”the car with options like “paint protection”, “underbody sprays”, “scotchguard”, “pinstripes” and such. If the car is really in demand, “ADM” (additional dealer markup) and “ADP” (additional dealer profit) appear too.

As the number of the car increase or it proves less popular, then dealers start cutting prices, offering discounts from MSRP. Soon the manufacturers join in, offering rebates or incentives. Additionally, the manufacturer often has a “holdback” on vehicles, an amount that is repaid to the dealer when the vehicle is sold.

At one time, we could research “invoice prices” on new cars and they were fairly accurate, and about 10% below MSRP. This was supposedly the price the dealer paid for the car, but not anymore. Now reported invoice prices are around 5-8% below MSRP, and total crap, a fantasy. What this means is the car costs you whatever you can get a dealer to sell if for. If the dealer sold three Giulias one day, two for full MSRP and one for less, they could offer thousands off the MSRP of the last one to make the sale, knowing profit was already locked in on the other two.

Also, U.S. auto dealerships now make a large portion of their profit on service and repair work. So to make a long story short (too late), a car on the dealers lot will often sell for thousands less than a special order car. The dealer has little incentive to slash the price on a special order, and lots of incentive to sell that lot queen, because then he saves the cost of financing the vehicle (the dealer “buys” the cars from the manufacturer, who often financies the deal), possible taxes, overhead, he now gets the holdback, etc.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I got my special order car for less than MSRP....

I wonder if OP is comparing potential discounts with cars on the lot or potential cost of shipping a car from another dealer.

I negotiated my special order car below MSRP in June of 2017. When the car was delivered there was an additional $1750 discount from AR, and so I was very happy with the final price.

I ordered from a dealer in PA, Ken Pollock Alfa in WilkesBarre. The car was delivered to my house (160 miles from the dealership) at no extra charge, in the dealer's enclosed trailer with a sales rep that stayed about 90 minutes to do the customary run-through of all of the car's functions and features.

Most dealers I had contacted prior to going with my final choice were willing to deal a little bit on special order cars. Fullerton Alfa in NJ was very hungry for the sale. There was another dealer in NJ (Maple Shade Alfa Romeo) who did want $5000 above MSRP for a special order, I quickly expressed the absurdity at that pricing and hung up the phone.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I also special ordered my Giulia Ti - did have to wait 6 months to get my exact car - but with $4000 off of MSRP. Now I have the car I want at a price that was reasonable.>:)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The dealer network in pa and adjoining states at this point do not seem to want to find the giulia I want and ordering will result in paying thousands more and waiting quite a long time.
Im fairly disappointed in the dealers ive dealt with too. Id prefer not to call out a dealer specifically but would love to talk to someone at alfa corporate to discuss what I believe to be systemic issues with product awareness, competition awareness and a lack of commitment to sell the brand.

One of the largest issues seem to be that the dealers dont know which cars to order and feel they are going to be stuck with their current inventory. So going out to get a car not on their lot is quite a large pain for them. Even having the right car for me but with white 5 hole rims, asking for a swap out kills the deal.

Alfa is missing out on an opportunity to sell cars in my area, and should work to compete with audi a4s amd mercedes cla250s 300s.
Hmm....

I special ordered our Giulia, but, she is the third new car I bought from the same dealer. Because of the Lusso interior package, the car came with wheels we didn't want and I bought dark 5-hole wheels after the fact.

As a whole, AR Italy sends cars to the dealers without offering them a choice. The dealer has to sell the cars or buy them outright if they can't move them soon enough. So, no dealer, regardless of brand, want to take special orders because that means they'll get stuck with a car they (think) they can't sell.

Some dealers will do a wheel trade as part of the deal, others won't. Even if you have to buy the dark wheels outright, selling the brite wheels should be easy, Giulia owners that drive in snow like having a second set of wheels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So my S4 is in holding pattern at the dealer that was supposed to trade here locally. :( Not sure what's going on there. Seems I cant win with getting the car I want.

I found an Alfa Black w/ red interior fully loaded...but its Alfa black not Vulcano Black. I also found a Vesuvio Gray fully loaded, but again it is not Vulcano black. Me thinks I'm asking for too much here and I just need to settle on something but once you have your mind made up it's hard to pick something you know you may regret however after year 1, I doubt I'll care as much about the color but I will miss internal features long term. (my wife still gets on me for not putting a nav in the one car)

I've contacted probably 15 Alfa Dealers stretching out 300+ miles. No one is really incentivized to go out and find the car I want but they all will discount heavily the cars on their lots that have all been sitting there since January. 8000 off MSRP is not uncommon without negotiating further...

At this point, I'm not making further efforts to get a car unless someone comes to me. My name and wants are out there with probably 20 dealers between Alfa / Audi and if nothing happens, I get to at the very least sit back and watch the deals get better as the end of the year creeps near. Heck, I see some Alfa dealers with a sizable number of 2017's still on their lots. Maybe I'll land a sweatheart deal on a Quad.....or 2019's will come out with new great options and I'll just order for spring or, the Audi dealer will call and tell me my car has arrived...!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
hyper,
This is exactly why I ordered, but of course, I was ABLE to order from my dealer. :( As far as the other colors go, might I suggest Vesuvio Gray? After 18 years in my Miata, including today, I long for a light colored car, or at least one with a light interior. That's why I went with ice trim on my Quad. If they had tan I would go for that. My Miata is Emerald Mica on Black. Roasting in the summer sun, and top down is almost as bad on black seats. So if you go with gray, you will take the edge off. And the red interiors are killer. That's one thing Alfa nailed on these cars. Of course, the Quad is a carbon roof car with ac so the colors were not as critical but if you plan to park outside at all, gray is probably better than black. And the kicker?... There was no way I was paying 80 grand for a color I didn't want. So it was 6 months wait or be dammed. ;) I am so glad I waited and stayed the course. But get what you want.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
So my S4 is in holding pattern at the dealer that was supposed to trade here locally. :( Not sure what's going on there. Seems I cant win with getting the car I want.

I found an Alfa Black w/ red interior fully loaded...but its Alfa black not Vulcano Black. I also found a Vesuvio Gray fully loaded, but again it is not Vulcano black. Me thinks I'm asking for too much here and I just need to settle on something but once you have your mind made up it's hard to pick something you know you may regret however after year 1, I doubt I'll care as much about the color but I will miss internal features long term. (my wife still gets on me for not putting a nav in the one car)

I've contacted probably 15 Alfa Dealers stretching out 300+ miles. No one is really incentivized to go out and find the car I want but they all will discount heavily the cars on their lots that have all been sitting there since January. 8000 off MSRP is not uncommon without negotiating further...

At this point, I'm not making further efforts to get a car unless someone comes to me. My name and wants are out there with probably 20 dealers between Alfa / Audi and if nothing happens, I get to at the very least sit back and watch the deals get better as the end of the year creeps near. Heck, I see some Alfa dealers with a sizable number of 2017's still on their lots. Maybe I'll land a sweatheart deal on a Quad.....or 2019's will come out with new great options and I'll just order for spring or, the Audi dealer will call and tell me my car has arrived...!
S4 in holding pattern????????
so this is a dealer trade??? you found one spec'd the way you like but at another dealer is that the case??
if so sometimes dealer trades are not as cut & dry as we would like...especially for models that are equipped in a certain fashion and allocation availability..
what would be the wait with ordering the S4??

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I heard that dealers are not getting what they ordered, but simply get a delivery of cars, which they are stuck with. The dealer here in ATL got one load of 13 QVs. At one point they had more QVs than TIs. I would look online for the car and travel.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Well, we are talking about an expensive car here, in the area of $50,000 USD. It's not like we looking for a cheap car and a discount to boot. Anybody who pays this kind of money for a new car should be getting EXACTLY what they want, within the range of realistic options. We can't fault the dealer for not having inventory of every possible combination, that would be insane.

But, we do have choices:
- Most dealers trade cars with other dealers in order to make a sale.
- Shipping (enclosed) is priced reasonably, $2000 or less coast to coast.
- When I bought my 4C, I was willing to fly to the other coast and drive her home. I love a road trip.
- A call to FCA (844-253-2872) would be within reason.
- A PM to @AlfaRomeoCares is also a reasonable effort.

Yes, absolutely, hold out for what you think you want. It's your money and your car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found my QV in Las Vegas by searching AutoTrader for Gulias. I called the sales guy I had been working with, gave him the VIN and said go get it. I got a call back 30 minutes later from him saying it was on it's way and to come in to fill out paperwork. I could have just as easily gone straight to the dealer in Vegas however I had been working with my guy for months and felt it was only right to give him a chance.

As long as you do the legwork to find the car you want then your dealer has the easy part. If not, as Razer Z said, Road Trip!

You're Giulia is out there waiting for you to find her!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
Probably easier now than it was last year when I got my Giulia, with dealers more likely to trade.

The order process is too slow. People who want a specific combination and can't located a car with it shouldn't have to endure a interminable wait.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ill consider calling Alfa. My local dealer is trying to work something out with another dealer that is running into some financial issues and cannot sell their cars but is willing to trade with dealers they usually don't trade with. I don't understand why I cant get a car that I want from another dealer from my local dealer but I guess my local dealer has some strict financial guidelines they adhere to so as to not get burned, at least that is how it was explained to me.

I should be month 1.5 in with ownership at this point. This latest trade I'm hoping for is everything I want but the color. Alfa Black vs Vulcano Black however I think with a gentle paint correction and of course a ceramic coat which I'll do myself, the black will actually look pretty darn amazing and very very deep. So I wont get too bent out of shape on the color. They are also going to need to do a wheel swap. I'm planning on leasing like many others, hoping for a reliable car but also verifying that I have options to walk away the moment it falls out of warranty essentially. If this works out there I hope to purchase my next and I'm crossing my fingers for some interesting changes over the next 3 years that will have me coming back.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ill consider calling Alfa. My local dealer is trying to work something out with another dealer that is running into some financial issues and cannot sell their cars but is willing to trade with dealers they usually don't trade with. I don't understand why I cant get a car that I want from another dealer from my local dealer but I guess my local dealer has some strict financial guidelines they adhere to so as to not get burned, at least that is how it was explained to me.

I should be month 1.5 in with ownership at this point. This latest trade I'm hoping for is everything I want but the color. Alfa Black vs Vulcano Black however I think with a gentle paint correction and of course a ceramic coat which I'll do myself, the black will actually look pretty darn amazing and very very deep. So I wont get too bent out of shape on the color. They are also going to need to do a wheel swap. I'm planning on leasing like many others, hoping for a reliable car but also verifying that I have options to walk away the moment it falls out of warranty essentially. If this works out there I hope to purchase my next and I'm crossing my fingers for some interesting changes over the next 3 years that will have me coming back.
If the other dealer is not too far away, just try buying it from it. That dealer may offer a better price to make a deal since it seems they are not selling many, and you don't have to deal w/ this transfer hassle!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts