Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,760 Posts
I went with RWD, and I really wish I had a way to turn off the traction control so I could let the back end drift a little.

If the weather gets bad I'll just borrow the wife's Pacifica...
Race mode mod. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I don't want to get off subject here, but what to you guys do when you get rid of the RFs and get a flat with no spare. Repair kit ?
I carry a plug kit and a tiny compressor..if that cant fix it, I call a tow truck.....but in over 30 years of driving I can count the number of flats I have had on 1 finger...:)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,602 Posts
I have a Q4 with runflats, Pirelli Cinturato, and no LSD and my Guilia feels terrific to me a normal speeds and occasionally plus some. :)
The P7 Cinturato RFTs A/S are very good all-‘round performers for Q4 cars in 4 season climates such as I see here in SE Michigan. Dry grip is good and the tires are predictable in those conditions, but for wet and snow, they’re very good. I had some summer Bridgestone Potenza S001 which were poor in wet and cold, but I didn’t want to have two sets of tires or tires+wheels to mess with, and since I was happy with the P7s on my previous Q4, I went back to them.

The P7 RFTs wear quickly, but that’s a typical, performance tire trade-off; lower durometer rubber for better grip wears faster than harder compounds, that’s just how physics work. Tread thickness is less than higher-mileage tires, too, but again, weight considerations are one of the trade-offs made for the sake of performance.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I don't want to get off subject here, but what to you guys do when you get rid of the RFs and get a flat with no spare. Repair kit ?
I look at it this way... a run flat is only good enough to get you to a tire repair facility so whether its on your runflat or on a flatbed calling roadside it may have to happen.

I carry a car bag with a electric compressor and this plug kit.

If its repairable and i can plug it and don't have to go to a tire repair facility at all that's a win. Ive used it on three cars now and it worked well.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
353 Posts
My Challenger did not have run flats or spare, it came with their version of a fix-a-flat compressor kit. Prior to that, I swapped the runflats on my 335i with non-runflats (so much better) and bought this kit. Luckily, I did not need to use either ones:

·
Vendor
2,120 Posts
If you ever get a flat, you can use the pump with goo or call a truck or I have seen some carry a spare (not ideal). I will be honest. I have not had a flat since 1993.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not many flats since '63, but two years ago, put nice Pirelli tires on my Jaguar sedan and drove about 8 miles, and had a rapid loss of pressure, and before I could get to the edge of an interstate, the tire was ruined. Went back to Discount Tire, and they replaced it, and then I added the road hazard warranty. Just one of those things....... NV

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If you have MES can’t you put it in dyno mode to turn traction control off?
yes, not just traction control though, and only for a number of start/stop cycles
it also cuts
  • ABS system
  • ESC (Electronic Stability Control)
  • Elektronic parking brake disabled
    Handbrake no longer works.
  • Hill Holder control not available
  • AST (Alfa Steering Torque) not available
  • Automatic highbeam not available
  • reduced FCW (Forward Collision Warning) functionality
  • Electronic dampers disabled, if present

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you ever get a flat, you can use the pump with goo or call a truck or I have seen some carry a spare (not ideal). I will be honest. I have not had a flat since 1993.
I had a flat on the 401 in 2011 going 75 mph on the inside lane. My TPMS lit up red and the reading went from 20 lbs pressure to 0 in approximately 15 to 20 seconds. I needed to thread my way to the shoulder very rapidly and by the time I got there my tire was shredded. I was told that I had to have something like a large screw that suddenly became dislodged to lose tire pressure so quickly. Scary stuff ! :devilish:

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,602 Posts
I had a flat on the 401 in 2011 going 75 mph on the inside lane. My TPMS lit up red and the reading went from 20 lbs pressure to 0 in approximately 15 to 20 seconds. I needed to thread my way to the shoulder very rapidly and by the time I got there my tire was shredded. I was told that I had to have something like a large screw that suddenly became dislodged to lose tire pressure so quickly. Scary stuff ! :devilish:
I slammed into a pothole at 90mph on the highway in ‘18 with my Giulia, and it was so hard and jarring, I thought for sure things were wrecked, and I sat there for several seconds, tensed up, staring at the instrument cluster, and waiting for the warning lights as I coasted down to a more manageable speed. I was amazed when nothing happened.

I continued at reduced speed for a few minutes, listening and feeling the car, because really, it was a hard hit, and I just couldn’t believe it was nothing! Largely satisfied nothing major was wrong, I ramped back up to speed gradually, and was back around 90mph when, about 5 miles after the pothole, a great wooshing sound came from the driver side front tire and the TPMS lit up.

Since I had the runflats, I coasted down to 50mph and continued ahead as I was less than a mile from an exit and I’m not dumb enough to sit on the side of the highway if I don’t have to. Exiting, I pulled over and found an inch-long cut in the sidewall, right under the rim, caused by the hard compression of the hit. Classic pinch flat.

I didn’t see any services signs when I took the exit, and I knew I was only about 15 miles from a small town, so I hopped back on the highway, set the cruise control at 50mph, and made my way to my exit of choice, which had a couple of tire shops and a McDonalds. It was 9am on a Sunday, and the tire shops were closed, so I called AAA towing, grabbed a coffee and a sandwich from McDs, and rode 1.5hrs in the tow truck back home, dropping the car at my dealer.

Amazingly, nothing more than the tire was damaged, and my supplemental tire insurance covered replacement of both front tires.

Without doubt, the reinforced sidewalls of the runflats protected the wheel from being damaged, which was great, but it was also awesome that the runflats prevented me from being a simple victim of circumstance, and instead allowed me to choose where and when I was going to stop.

Aside from the price premium and somewhat limited tire selection, I‘m really happy with runflats in general, and the P7 Cinturatos, specifically, suit my demands just fine, so I’m able to live the good life over here! If I never have to change or mess with a tire on the side of the road again, I’ll consider that a triumph of fortune and technology.

Reactions: SirRog

·
Registered
266 Posts
Without doubt, the reinforced sidewalls of the runflats protected the wheel from being damaged, which was great, but it was also awesome that the runflats prevented me from being a simple victim of circumstance, and instead allowed me to choose where and when I was going to stop.
Speaking of reinforced sidewalls. I had a flat on my Goldwing motorcycle in 2012, and because of the rigid sidewalls I barely noticed until a riding buddy brought my attention to the fact that my tire looked a tad on the low side. Luckily we were fairly close to a Honda dealership and they were able to fix it with a plug or a boot on the inside of the tire.

Good story by the way...............and it definitely makes me more confident about having RFs now more than ever. Thx !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a Q4 because Chicago weather and Michigan work trips but if I lived in the South would've gotten a Q2. It's not going to affect your mpgs much since it only kicks in when it needs to and only adds about 100 pounds. Bigger factor is upfront cost, but that doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yes, not just traction control though, and only for a number of start/stop cycles
it also cuts
  • ABS system
  • ESC (Electronic Stability Control)
  • Elektronic parking brake disabled
    Handbrake no longer works.
  • Hill Holder control not available
  • AST (Alfa Steering Torque) not available
  • Automatic highbeam not available
  • reduced FCW (Forward Collision Warning) functionality
  • Electronic dampers disabled, if present
When the dampers are disabled do you know if they default to hard or soft mode?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Q4 with runflats, Pirelli Cinturato, and no LSD and my Guilia feels terrific to me a normal speeds and occasionally plus some. :)
Unpopular opinion here:
An LSD works great for a launch or coming out of a corner, lined up, on power. But if I'm on a mountain road with a sheer drop to one side I would take an open diff any day. If you do happen to get on the gas a little early, you spin a tire, not the car.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
When the dampers are disabled do you know if they default to hard or soft mode?
not sure, although electronic dampers don't just change damping of course (hard/soft), but it's an active system that actually changes characteristics according to a number of parameters (accelerometers, steering, power, braking etc.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Have a Q4 because Chicago weather and Michigan work trips but if I lived in the South would've gotten a Q2. It's not going to affect your mpgs much since it only kicks in when it needs to and only adds about 100 pounds. Bigger factor is upfront cost, but that doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.
The front half shafts and front drive shaft are always turning, in combination with the higher stance causing Q4 highway fuel economy to be noticeably worse than RWD. EPA says Q4 31MPG highway, RWD 33MPG highway.

Reactions: JeFizz
41 - 60 of 97 Posts