Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just want to highlight a couple of things you bring up, here...

One is that while it's certainly a matter of needs and preferences, it's not all opinion. The enhanced traction from Q4 compared to RWD to measurable, and we see it all the time in 0-60 times, for example. The performance advantages of AWD are manifold and have been proven on road and track.

Regarding your experience with Q4 and Q2, it's important to be clear that they are not the same as saying AWD and RWD. While Q4 is Alfa's AWD system, Q2 does not mean RWD, but rather Q2 is a Ti Performance Package equipped RWD car, particularly for the fact that the Ti PP includes a limited slip differential. The Q2 differential and designation pre-dates Giulia. Also, Q2 does not necessarily include staggered tires, which are optional depending on model. A Lusso can be spec'd with the Ti PP, thus receiving the Q2 designation, but will not include staggered wheels nor be able to be optioned with them.

Also note that Q4 cars can be fitted with staggered wheels, and Q4 Ti cars can be fitted with the limited slip diff (i.e. Performance Pkg).

So, when comparing the Q4 to Q2 in terms of driving dynamics, it's important to be clear about build specs, and saying a Q2 with staggered wheels feels more planted than a Q4 neglects to consider whether the Q4 had staggered wheels and/or the Performance Pkg, which are the key elements to that planted feel. As an owner of a staggered wheel + LSD Q4, I can pretty much assure you'd be astounded by the planted feel of a such a Giulia spec. Coming from a square wheel, non-PP Q4 previously, the planted feel was the first thing I noticed; the rear end felt stuck, almost, and my first impression was that the car felt less playful.
How do I find out if My Q4 has LSD?
In EU specs

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It doesn't say much in the EU site
Yes it does......
If you register, it will give you a complete list of all options for your specific car......
In my case in Dutch of course ;)
See f.i. some excerpts re my own car .... :

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think the actual tires make a huge difference. I suspect some of my negative feelings about the AWD I test drove are related to the run flats. Also it wasn’t a Q4 with the LSD. The combination didn’t produce a pleasant cornering sensation even at legal speeds.
My Q2 with staggered wheels has been shod in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s from mile 1 ( and a square setup on Pirelli Sotozero 3s for the winters) So I am spoiled but it also handles brilliantly and like a number of owners here I would be delighted if it had a little less nanny intervention. None of which is the way to go for max speed but that’s not what I personally want from my Giulia. More of the fun factor turned up to 11.

I have been amazed that the Giulia loaners from the dealer were still nominally the same car. The behind the wheel experience was quite different. ‘Better’ is totally dependent on your personal rating scale.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a Q4 with runflats, Pirelli Cinturato, and no LSD and my Guilia feels terrific to me a normal speeds and occasionally plus some. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went from a miata 20 years ago to an Audi TT to a Q4 6 months ago. The Audi is front wheel biased. The Q4 feels far more like a Miata than the TT ever did. I don't feel any pushing that you get in a FWD biased car. The Q4 is awesome!
You meant pulling from a front wheel drive ..... vs pushing from rwd
Got your message loud and clear. All good 👍

·
Registered
61 Posts
I went with RWD, and I really wish I had a way to turn off the traction control so I could let the back end drift a little.

If the weather gets bad I'll just borrow the wife's Pacifica...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,737 Posts
I went with RWD, and I really wish I had a way to turn off the traction control so I could let the back end drift a little.

If the weather gets bad I'll just borrow the wife's Pacifica...
Put some winter tires on. You'll be fine.

·
Vendor
2,120 Posts
I have the staggered setup on my Q4 with Michelin 4S's. Handles amazing. I dumped the RF's at the beginning, I did not like them at all. In the next month or two I will add lighter tecnicos. I am not keen on how 4S's fit on the 10" wheel so I will stick with stock sizes, likely Michelin Pilot Super Sport . The lighter wheels although wider should add an even more fun factor to this car. I am going to throw an LSD and KW coil over suspension on in the next year. I think this will make this vehicle the best it can be coupled with a Supersprint full race and JB4.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't want to get off subject here, but what to you guys do when you get rid of the RFs and get a flat with no spare. Repair kit ?

21 - 40 of 97 Posts