Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I took delivery of the vehicle back in June last year. I noticed what appears to be "rust" mark appearing on the surface of the rear bumper. I never thought anything of it because it seem to come off if you rub it. Now fast forward to this moment, I just took my car for a wash and those rust mark are appearing almost everywhere around the vehicle, it's not noticeable until you get up close. Certain rust spot appears to rub off if you rub it enough, but other spots appear to just stay there no matter how much you rub it, might need to be buffed out... anyone else having this issue? this feels like a defect in the paint.

OH... and The car is kept in a garage when not driven

·
Registered
231 Posts
It is common issue for all cars, specially in white color.
Dust from brakes sticks to body panels.
I used to have white pearl coat car and it was crazy bad, those yellow dots where everywhere (doors, rear bumper, hatch) and super visible. That is why I said no more to white colored cars.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have white pearl coat car and it was crazy bad, those yellow dots where everywhere (doors, rear bumper, hatch) and super visible. That is why I said no more to white colored cars.
Jeeeeesh... well then... I guess next time i'll think twice about getting a white color vehicle. What did you do to remove them? just detail/buff?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Maybe look into a Ceramic Coating? One of the selling points is that dirt and will not adhere to it and it cleans up easily.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the wife likes white cars, so we've had them since 1995. not pearl paint, but being old I occasionally wax them, and find it the easiest color to keep clean.

·
Registered
617 Posts

as superukr said, brake pad dust can be very, very aggressive. keep in mind that it enters the air hot from the friction created. it can embed in a clear coat on the wheels and paint due to the heat element alone. keep the car washed and wheels clean!!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
If that does not wash off, I'd say it's not normal. I'd have white cars, and they did have spots like this. But they literally just washed off. I could take a microfiber towel to it with water and it would come off. If you need something more than that, take it to the dealer. That's odd.

Perhaps try this: https://www.griotsgarage.com/produc...PHj8qFJkkxFe-2Ma3tyIzoEPdtkufiU0aAqb3EALw_wcB
ryan, I agree...a good product! works well on wheels between washes too!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
I have the same issue. Red/brown spots on the rear bumper. I was thinking it was caused due to the salt during the winter season. But sadly, its rust spots. They are only getting prominent. Looking for a solution in this thread

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had this issue about 2 months ago all over my rear bumper, trunk, and lower side sills. I used a Meguire's Ultimate Compound and a little bit of elbow grease and that did the trick (though clay bar will work just as well, but could take a little longer). Afterwards I re-washed and put a better coat of wax. No problems since, but I do make sure I at least rinse off my car once a week.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I used to get metal dust on my car from the electrical pickups of trolley cars and electric trains close by ......
Was fairly easy to remove using iron-x or equivalent...

On darker colours you didn't so much see it as feel it with your hand on the roof etc.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Not all red spots are rust. My wife parked our white Protege in the heart of California agricultural area (near the San Joaquin river, east of Tracy) overnight and came back with the car literally covered in red dots; roof, hood, trunk lid, etc. Obviously not brake dust. Would not clean off with clay and literally ruined the finish. I strongly suspect a crop duster got it but do not know for certain.

In some areas the water has iron in it. IIRC my well water near Bridgeport, CA measures 1500PPB Iron (1.5 milligrams iron per liter) and that isn't even considered "high" (it is classed as a nuisance level). The iron oxidizes and turns red when exposed to air, staining everything it contacts (laundry, dishes, faucets, etc). There is nothing like living downhill from a large iron ore deposit. OTOH, if you have this problem it is usually so obvious that you already know about it. Iron is usually removed from water provided by public water agencies, so this is primarily a private well water issue.

Anyway, I would think a ceramic coating should protect against iron or other chemicals attacking the finish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts