Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered before, but my car has now done 200 miles and I have been driving it like a grandmother :)

Is it still advisable to do this for a few more hundred miles, or is running a car in not an issue any more?

Cheers

:smile2:

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Start running it hard, dump the oil at 1000-1200 miles.

Reactions: Sensei and FNM

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Driving like an old lady isn't really the recommended way to break-in a motor. Varying the engine speed and driving style is the old school method. Changing the oil early is also part of the old-school break-in. I still subscribe to this style. You're also breaking in the transmission, brakes, tires and many other things. You've got to use them all so they all can break-in.

We drove our Ti more-or-less the way we will always be driving her. My wife has her style and I have mine. We didn't run her out to red-line for a while. I think she had about 100 miles on her when I took up into the canyons and started having fun. Changed the oil around 500 miles and never looked back.

The Giulia, being a modern car, not an old school car, has an ECM (or ECU), Engine Control Module. This is considered a learning module and needs several hundred miles to learn the car. Each 2.0 is ever so slightly different, even though they're all the same, and the ECM learns to adjust some of the minute setting. This helps with fuel economy, performance and smoothness.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like this guy, I've watched a few of his videos and he seems knowledgeable on the subject of how cars function..

Reactions: Veloce® and lockem

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered before, but my car has now done 200 miles and I have been driving it like a grandmother :)

Is it still advisable to do this for a few more hundred miles, or is running a car in not an issue any more?

Cheers

:smile2:
Mines got about 600 miles on it and I'm starting to wind her up a bit for short bursts but not prolonged high-speeds driving. In any case, i don't have a track to really run the car hard and I don't want a speeding ticket. I had here up to 85 miles per hour for a short time and all felt good. I think that RacerZ has the right idea although I'll probably go for 1,000 to 1,500 miles before getting the oil changed. I know that a lot of folks on this forum have been waiting for 10k miles, or waiting for the car to let them know that the service is due.

You could also just follow Alfa's recommended break-in procedure:

From the 2.0 Owners manual:
ENGINE BREAK-IN
RECOMMENDATIONS
2.0L GMET4 Engine Break-In
For vehicles equipped with the 2.0L
GME T4, use the following engine
break-in recommendations:
Despite modern technology andWorld
Class Manufacturing methods, the
moving parts of the engine must still
wear in with each other. This wearing in
occurs mainly during the first 500 miles
(805 km) and continues through the first
oil change interval.
Note: A new engine may consume some
oil during its first few thousand miles
(kilometers) of operation. This should be
considered a normal part of the break-in
period and not interpreted as an
indication of a problem. Please monitor
your oil level during the break-in period
and add oil as required.
It is recommended for the operator to
observe the following driving behaviors
during the new vehicle break-in period:
0 to100miles (0 to160km):
Do not allow the engine to operate at
idle for an extended period of time.
Press the accelerator pedal slowly and
not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration.
Avoid aggressive braking.
Drive with the engine speed less than
3500 RPM.
Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph
(88 km) and observe local speed limits.
100 to 300 miles (160 to 483 km):
Press the accelerator pedal slowly and
not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd
gears).
Avoid aggressive braking.
Drive with the engine speed less than
5000 RPM.
Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph
(112 km/h) and observe local speed
limits.
300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
Exercise the full engine rpm range,
shifting manually (paddles or gear shift)
at higher rpm’s when possible.
Do not perform sustained operation
with the accelerator pedal at wide open
throttle.
Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph
(136 km/h) and observe local speed
limits.
For the first 1500 miles (2414 km):
Do not participate in track events,
sport driving schools, or similar activities
during the first 1500 miles (2414 km).
Note: Monitor engine oil with every
refueling and add if necessary. Oil and
fuel consumption may be higher through
the first oil change interval.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some great info there and a good video too, thanks you guys. The 2.0 TI engine doesn't have a dipstick, right? So we just have to rely on the dash telling us if oil is low?

·
Registered
332 Posts
i gradually built up the RPMS as it indicates in the manual. Started letting it rip more after 300 miles but still less than half throttle. more throttle and higher RPMS after 500 miles. At about 800 miles and have yet to go full throttle/red-line but i think its time.

Will probably change the oil after a few intense runs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Correct, there’s no dipstick. At about 700 miles now and the electronic oil level readout still shows oil is at the max level.
I’ve started to run my car harder and enjoying it - Dynamic Mode and running the rpms up to 4,500 to 5,000 and enjoying the smooth acceleration and great turbo sounds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I formatted the manual text posted by Martyn for easier reading and downloading..

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,183 Posts
Correct, there’s no dipstick. At about 700 miles now and the electronic oil level readout still shows oil is at the max level.
I’ve started to run my car harder and enjoying it - Dynamic Mode and running the rpms up to 4,500 to 5,000 and enjoying the smooth acceleration and great turbo sounds.

Turbo sounds? You got the QV, right? Or can we expect to hear turbo sounds on the TiSport as well?

Cheers

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a 2.0 Ti Sport. In Dynamic Mode you can hear and feel a difference. I’ll bet it is not as nice as a QV, but this car has twin turbos and you can hear when driven hard at higher rpm. I’m going to add the EC V2 intake, which should make the spool-up sound and blow-off a bit more pronounced.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 2.0 Ti Sport. In Dynamic Mode you can hear and feel a difference. I’ll betit is not as nice as a QV, but this car has twin turbos and you can hear when driven hard at higher rpm. I’m going to add a V2 intake which should make the spool upsound and blow off a bit more pronounced.
It’s a single twin scroll turbo, but yea you can hear if pushed hard and with the right mods

·
Registered
402 Posts
Some great info there and a good video too, thanks you guys. The 2.0 TI engine doesn't have a dipstick, right? So we just have to rely on the dash telling us if oil is low?
Yep. Most have found the dash to be accurate. Mine has always said full, and I don't doubt it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Turbo sounds? You got the QV, right? Or can we expect to hear turbo sounds on the TiSport as well?

Cheers
In stock form, you'll never hear anything from a 2.0 (base and Ti). There are different aftermarket parts available to help with the ear candy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.