Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2018 TI Sport Q4 with the performance package. Right now I have the stock 225/40R19 run flats on it. I think these look ridiculous on this wheel, like someone took a tire that was way to narrow for this rim width and forced it on. I am looking for a wider tire for this rim. I would like to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and it seems that the next reasonable size without making the tire smaller is a 245/45R19. Does anyone have any images of running this tire? After searching the forums I found someone who ran this size combo but there were no photos of it. If this is going to rub too much I might go down to an 18" rim as I like the look of more tire. There seems to be a much larger stock of tires in this category. Huge wheels always look so cheap to me. Race cars don't run huge wheels and I can't stand them.

LOL

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
626 Posts
So I have a 2018 TI Sport Q4 with the performance package. Right now I have the stock 225/40R19 run flats on it. I think these look ridiculous on this wheel, like someone took a tire that was way to narrow for this rim width and forced it on. I am looking for a wider tire for this rim. I would like to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and it seems that the next reasonable size without making the tire smaller is a 245/45R19. Does anyone have any images of running this tire? After searching the forums I found someone who ran this size combo but there were no photos of it. If this is going to rub too much I might go down to an 18" rim as I like the look of more tire. There seems to be a much larger stock of tires in this category. Huge wheels always look so cheap to me. Race cars don't run huge wheels and I can't stand them.

LOL
245/45/19 will throw your speedo off, either run 245/35/19 or 245/40/19.
245/35/19 is 1.3% faster(smaller)
245/40/19 is 2.3% slower(larger)
245/45/19 is 5.8% slower(larger)

general rule is you want to keep them within 3% of stock size.
245/45/19 is almost double of 3% allowance hence i'd stay away.

255/35/19 is probably best as it's 0.3% off, but 255 is too wide for stock 8" wide rims unless you have staggered setup which should come with 255 in the back already.

Reactions: Verde 3.0

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,746 Posts
225 40R19 is the right width for the stock rim width performance wise.
I run 245 35R19 on 19x8.5 wheels. Even that could use a little more rim width but it is not far off.

In the winter I run 245 40R19 on 19x8 wheels. Between the weight, winter tires, and wrong width for the rims handling is "wonky" on dry pavement. It does well on snow and ice, which is why I have this setup.

IMO 245 45R19 is likely to rub. It is not as-if Alfa intentionally made the wheel wells oversize. While the slightly oversize 245 40R19 fit, I do not put chains or cables on them and the tire is taking up the 5-6mm of space reserved for such. As far as extra width goes, use the QV tire sizes as a guide to the upper limit.

Race cars run high profile tires because the rules say they have to. Also, I think higher profile tires are less prone to overheating when driven for extended periods of time at 200MPH.
For the same weight wheel the lower profile setup will handle better, but cost considerably more.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
626 Posts
225 40R19 is the right width for the stock rim width performance wise.
I run 245 35R19 on 19x8.5 wheels. Even that could use a little more rim width but it is not far off.

In the winter I run 245 40R19 on 19x8 wheels. Between the weight, winter tires, and wrong width for the rims handling is "wonky" on dry pavement. It does well on snow and ice, which is why I have this setup.

IMO 245 45R19 is likely to rub. It is not as-if Alfa intentionally made the wheel wells oversize. While the slightly oversize 245 40R19 fit, I do not put chains or cables on them and the tire is taking up the 5-6mm of space reserved for such. As far as extra width goes, use the QV tire sizes as a guide to the upper limit.

Race cars run high profile tires because the rules say they have to. Also, I think higher profile tires are less prone to overheating when driven for extended periods of time at 200MPH.
For the same weight wheel the lower profile setup will handle better, but cost considerably more.
i also believe you have to put consideration that each tires are different from one another.

my summer tires are Potenza RE-11 245/40/19 with no rubbing issue and handling/ride quality is superb.
my winter tiress are Pilot Aline PA4 N-spec 235/40/19, which is almost identical size even tho it should be tad bit smaller based on sizing.
I picked smaller winter tire because winter tires tend to have more meat/rubber and are generally bigger than spec claims to be.
if I went with 245/40/19 for winter, i probably had rubbing issue but then again some tires are wider/narrower than other so i guess it probably depends on which tire i picked.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
I think I will likely go with 235/40/19 when I need new tires. Seems to be a happy-medium.
I have both summers (Michelin Pilot 4s 40 on the stock 5 holes) and snows (Vredestein WinTrac Pros in 18" 45) in 235 and they are perfect. Light weight, fix speedo flaws to .2% under, no rub, no spacers. Perfect. Square Q4 traction is supreme.

Reactions: GottWhat

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
i also believe you have to put consideration that each tires are different from one another.

my summer tires are Potenza RE-11 245/40/19 with no rubbing issue and handling/ride quality is superb.
my winter tiress are Pilot Aline PA4 N-spec 235/40/19, which is almost identical size even tho it should be tad bit smaller based on sizing.
I picked smaller winter tire because winter tires tend to have more meat/rubber and are generally bigger than spec claims to be.
if I went with 245/40/19 for winter, i probably had rubbing issue but then again some tires are wider/narrower than other so i guess it probably depends on which tire i picked.
One more data point: Michelin PS A/S3+ 245 35R19 tread is 30-35mm wider than Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S run flat (Alfa) in 225 40R19.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have 245 40 19 on the front Works great I recommend it
it's only 8mm taller 98 vs 90mm tall a 245 45 19 is 110.25mm tall you may run into rubbing issues

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I think I may go with the 235/40R19 for now. i like the extra width on them. Is there anyone who prefers the 18’ over the 19’. It might affect the handling a little but from what I have read so far it seems many cannot feel the difference. I live in a mountainous area and so far my Alfa has only lived in D mode and manual. I am quite a spirited driver and would like to maintain the performance I have experienced so far. I would imagine that if I get lighter wheels I could significantly offset any performance loss from the extra sidewall size. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I think I may go with the 235/40R19 for now. i like the extra width on them. Is there anyone who prefers the 18’ over the 19’. It might affect the handling a little but from what I have read so far it seems many cannot feel the difference. I live in a mountainous area and so far my Alfa has only lived in D mode and manual. I am quite a spirited driver and would like to maintain the performance I have experienced so far. I would imagine that if I get lighter wheels I could significantly offset any performance loss from the extra sidewall size. Any thoughts?
I think @Eagle7 has 17" and swears by them.
I have Tecnico forged 19x8.5 wheels on all 4 corners, saving about 3 pounds each in spite of mounting wider (non-runflat) tires. I also have Ceika light weight rotors. Combined with better tires it was a pretty marked improvement over stock in places like Sonora Pass Road.

I think other options for forged wheels and light weight rotors have appeared on market since I made my modifications.
19' is Ferris wheel size.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Interesting that this thread comes up, as I'd just answered someone with regards to this topic in a private conversation. As @lockem said, I do run 17's. I have 17x8 that weigh just under 17 lbs each. Compared to the factory 18" wheels that came with my Lusso, they are much lighter. The factory wheels with tires, balancing weights, TPMS and all that, weighed 49 lbs 5 oz each. The 17's with all the same stuff weigh 42 lbs 14 oz. Basically 6 1/2 lbs lighter. I also have the Ceika rotors that lockem mentioned, but I got the slotted and drilled ones (I don't think his are drilled unless I'm mistaken). The factory front rotors weigh 20 lbs 4.4 oz, and the factory rear rotors weigh 16 lbs 3.2 oz. The slotted and drilled Ceika front rotors weigh 16 lbs 3.4 oz, and the rears weigh 12 lbs 13 oz. That saves 4 lbs for the fronts, and just under 4 lbs for the rear rotors. Combine that with the wheel savings, and that's just over 10 lbs of unsprung rotating weight removed from all four corners.

That matters. It affects everything, including handling, starting and stopping. The tire size I'm running is 225/50-17. I have Michelin A/S3+ but they replaced that tire with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 which is also available in that size. The extra sidewall smoothes out the ride a bit which is nice if the roads aren't in the best of shape. As for looks, the 'OMG wheel gap' crowd will hate it, however if you value driving performance you'll love the way this setup performs. Here are a couple of pictures of what the wheels and tires look like:

This is when I first got the wheels, but with the stock rotors.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Here's what the wheel looks like with the Ceika rotors:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think I will likely go with 235/40/19 when I need new tires. Seems to be a happy-medium.
One thing with a 245 is it's the widest recommended for a 8" wheel
That makes the tire stick out beyond the wheel saving you from the curb monster (at least light brushings)
I brushed the curb with the right rear while parking thought the rim would be scraped, nope just a mark on the tire :):cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
One thing with a 245 is it's the widest recommended for a 8" wheel
That makes the tire stick out beyond the wheel saving you from the curb monster (at least light brushings)
I brushed the curb with the right rear while parking thought the rim would be scraped, nope just a mark on the tire :):cool:
How would some curb feelers look on the Giulia? lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting that this thread comes up, as I'd just answered someone with regards to this topic in a private conversation. As @lockem said, I do run 17's. I have 17x8 that weigh just under 17 lbs each. Compared to the factory 18" wheels that came with my Lusso, they are much lighter. The factory wheels with tires, balancing weights, TPMS and all that, weighed 49 lbs 5 oz each. The 17's with all the same stuff weigh 42 lbs 14 oz. Basically 6 1/2 lbs lighter. I also have the Ceika rotors that lockem mentioned, but I got the slotted and drilled ones (I don't think his are drilled unless I'm mistaken). The factory front rotors weigh 20 lbs 4.4 oz, and the factory rear rotors weigh 16 lbs 3.2 oz. The slotted and drilled Ceika front rotors weigh 16 lbs 3.4 oz, and the rears weigh 12 lbs 13 oz. That saves 4 lbs for the fronts, and just under 4 lbs for the rear rotors. Combine that with the wheel savings, and that's just over 10 lbs of unsprung rotating weight removed from all four corners.

That matters. It affects everything, including handling, starting and stopping. The tire size I'm running is 225/50-17. I have Michelin A/S3+ but they replaced that tire with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 which is also available in that size. The extra sidewall smoothes out the ride a bit which is nice if the roads aren't in the best of shape. As for looks, the 'OMG wheel gap' crowd will hate it, however if you value driving performance you'll love the way this setup performs. Here are a couple of pictures of what the wheels and tires look like:

This is when I first got the wheels, but with the stock rotors.
View attachment 108625

Here's what the wheel looks like with the Ceika rotors:
View attachment 108626
I like the look of that. I bet it’s a lot smoother than the stock 19” rims.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"How would some curb feelers look on the Giulia? lol"

Don't laugh too hard. I seriously considered putting them on my Abarth because the 17" rims stuck out farther than the rubber did. I guess from the front it would have made it look like a little catfish. Actually, it had more of a bullhead personality, but I don't think black feelers would have looked too bad. Gotta have a sense of humor to go with one's sense of style, eh?

I clearly remember the curb feelers on my grandmother's mint condition 1953 Cadillac sedan, and as a toddler, loved the boingy noise they made. :sneaky:

·
Registered
857 Posts
LOL @ Curb Feelers!
I know curb feelers are from a bygone era but I'll have to tell you that having lived and driven in Europe before moving to the USA in 1979, they are only ever seen (or were seen) in the USA. Well perhaps in Canada too? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
LOL @ Curb Feelers!
I know curb feelers are from a bygone era but I'll have to tell you that having lived and driven in Europe before moving to the USA in 1979, they are only ever seen (or were seen) in the USA. Well perhaps in Canada too? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The primary purpose of the curb feelers was to protect the expensive white sidewall tires, not the rim. When that style of tire fell out of favor (early 1950s?) the curb feelers faded away too, then they were shamed as "old man" equipment and really went away.

It seems to me that in this modern age it should be possible to make a (nearly?) invisible electronic version that would be socially acceptable.

Back in 2007 I got doored while riding my bicycle through old town Saratoga, California. The primary problem: the driver was so paranoid of hitting the curb that she parked almost 2' out. If I had not hit her door, a moving car probably would have.

·
Registered
857 Posts
“electronic curb feelers” !! I probably need those actually! Somehow, I’ve already scratched 3 of my wheels. Since I barely touched the curb, I’m blaming it on the wheel spacers I added ☹

1 - 20 of 26 Posts