Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a mini spare is made available if we later choose to switch to regular (rather than run flat) tires, or is the tire repair/inflator kit is the only option that fits in the trunk in that case ?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Good question. Will pull up the trunk carpet next time the cover is off of the car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In addition to the issue of run flat vs. regular + spare, I have found that the all season tires don't match up to the handling ability of the car. I have a Ti with the 19 inch sport package. I'm feeling like I should get a set of high performance summer tires, and high performance winter tires. I've never had a car with run flats. Is that part of the problem, or is it just the fact that they are all season tires? Curious if anyone else agrees with my observation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In addition to the issue of run flat vs. regular + spare, I have found that the all season tires don't match up to the handling ability of the car. I have a Ti with the 19 inch sport package. I'm feeling like I should get a set of high performance summer tires, and high performance winter tires. I've never had a car with run flats. Is that part of the problem, or is it just the fact that they are all season tires? Curious if anyone else agrees with my observation.
It's my first car with run flats, but from what i heard from BMW owners they are not as sticky in dry and also ride is harsher.

·
Registered
242 Posts
From what I have seen, there are no provisions for a spare.
Even QV, which comes with non-RFT only has a mobility kit - pump + fix-a-flat.

·
Registered
787 Posts
no spare, cost and weight, just a air pump and somekind of fix-a-flat in a can

·
Registered
658 Posts
Has anyone switched a Ti to regular tires yet?
I'm asking because I'm trying to get the runflats traded for regular Michelin Pilot Sport 4S before I take delivery and am wondering what other people's experience has been.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I'm asking because I'm trying to get the runflats traded for regular Michelin Pilot Sport 4S before I take delivery and am wondering what other people's experience has been.
If you live where there's snow I wouldn't recommend run flats. They are a lot more slippery in wet weather from my experience and definitely not as sticky as all-season regular tired. I ordered my Ti with the 3 season tires so I'm wondering if I will get a spare or not? I should be getting it in the next month or so, I'll report the results.

I could be wrong on the run-flats as design has improved on them the last few years. I'm basing my comments on a 5yr old run flats (mini cooper S).

·
Registered
242 Posts
... I ordered my Ti with the 3 season tires so I'm wondering if I will get a spare or not? I should be getting it in the next month or so, I'll report the results.
You won't get a spare - there is no place under the trunk liner, just a hole big enough for mobility kit, and that only comes with the Q.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Please keep us updated on what you find out. I want to switch to the PS4Ss myself. Would love to do it thru the dealer - but I will do it either way.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am upgrading to 19's next week from 18's on my Giulia and I am going with Michelin Super Sports. I see no good reason to keep running run flats from my research.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you have the run flats, the spot under the trunk floor where the pump would go is a great place to put the owners manual, which is too big for the glove compartment! #ProblemSolver

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going this exact route in a few weeks. I'll make sure to post an update once I pit the PS4s on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am upgrading to 19's next week from 18's on my Giulia and I am going with Michelin Super Sports. I see no good reason to keep running run flats from my research.
Awesome. Please tell us how MSS are. What size will you be getting? Just a reminder MSS run wide and sidewall is tall.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Run flats have saved my bacon twice. Drove home about 15 miles one day on a blown rear right. I have them on my current BMW (535 GT) in both summer (P Zero RFT) and winters (Dunlop Wintersport 3D). There's no way I'd ever drive it with All Seasons.

My tire guy stores my offseasons for me so it's no big deal. I'm not a RFT hater by any stretch but if you're all about performance, you might not like the general stiffness.

So I'm guessing the TI has RFT standard? The base Guilia I'm looking at doesn't seem to indicate TPMS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
According to a PDFs of the manual (I don't have the car yet), there are provisions for a full size spare and compact spare. I realize they are not options from the dealership. We would need to pull out the big styrofoam block, but a spare should fit.

I did something similiar with our Volvo V60. The car doesn't have a spare either so I bought a compact spare in eBay. Removed the bottom strofoam tray and cut a hole in the mid-tray. The top tray/carpet lays perfectly so you can't tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
from BMW experience I take Michelin super sport over any all season run flats or not. My BMW mech insisted on removing run flats to save suspension
Ride quality is different, more grip, less noise, bit softer glide.
For Canadian climate supersports and winters just ideal.
I had always repair kit from Amazon in my trunk

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,736 Posts
If you have the run flats, the spot under the trunk floor where the pump would go is a great place to put the owners manual, which is too big for the glove compartment! #ProblemSolver
done!!
great tip, i no longer have undue stress on the glovebox latch and can now actually use it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts