Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea on a good 3 season tire to replace the horrible run flats?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,194 Posts
Any idea on a good 3 season tire to replace the horrible run flats?
Based on test results only, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires are really good. 95% of the performance of summer tires in the summer (I think the Centurato is about 80%) and 80% of the performance of winter tires in the winter (I think the Centurato is about 50%) and 1-2 pounds lighter than a RFT. Not to be confused with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires, which have lower winter performance.

I was told that they are semi-run flat (can be driven 30 miles at 30MPH with no air), but cannot find any such printed information and the tire rack or Michelin web sites.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Very happy with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on my Q2 but there are other good choices that other forum members are using.
I'm currently still on the Pirelli Sottozero 3 on the 18" rims for the winter and am really liking them too.

Both of course are standard go flat rather than run flat's.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
When are you going to declare winter over, Alan?

I'm keeping my Sottozeros on until after Easter. Mother Nature may still have plenty of cold and snow up her sleeve.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
658 Posts
When are you going to declare winter over, Alan?
As soon as the temps reach a point where the PS4's will grip as well as the Pirelli Sottozero 3's. :wink2:
Really hoping this next blast of snow/slush is the last for Philly.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I’m kind of surprised someone would have the understanding to declare the P7 Cinturatos “horrible” yet have no idea what would be better. I’d think one would need to have some fairly extensive tire experience to make a call like that.

I mean, maybe I’m daft or just don’t drive as aggressively as everyone thinks I do, but despite having put tires on probably 90% of the nearly 30 cars I’ve had— I usually buy used, and good rubber is important to me for safety— I cannot tell the Cinturatos are horrible. Granted, I’ve only driven the car for 5 weeks in a snowy winter, but I’m getting nervous about what I’ll discover as it warms and dfies. What is horrible about them?

Also, are you planning to rely on Fix-a-Flat?

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I wonder whether "horrible" sets in at a threshold above which I'm not comfortable driving on the public roads.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m kind of surprised someone would have the understanding to declare the P7 Cinturatos “horrible” yet have no idea what would be better. I’d think one would need to have some fairly extensive tire experience to make a call like that.

I mean, maybe I’m daft or just don’t drive as aggressively as everyone thinks I do, but despite having put tires on probably 90% of the nearly 30 cars I’ve had— I usually buy used, and good rubber is important to me for safety— I cannot tell the Cinturatos are horrible. Granted, I’ve only driven the car for 5 weeks in a snowy winter, but I’m getting nervous about what I’ll discover as it warms and dfies. What is horrible about them?

Also, are you planning to rely on Fix-a-Flat?
I'm not surprised you made that statement. How would I know how a tire is without asking for drivers opinions on different tires? Cinturatos ride harsh and stop and handle poorly compared to non run flat 3 season tires. I also can see why you don't know about the tire repair kit for people without run flats.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder whether "horrible" sets in at a threshold above which I'm not comfortable driving on the public roads.
Probably.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
slight hijack but i'm starting to doubt if I have run flats myself now (mainly being that I quite like my tires). Does it specify on the spec sheet they're on there? Think the dealer told me I had them but on my spec sheet it says "225/45R18 BSW All Season Performance Tires". I'll check when I get home but suspect they might be these https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=545WR8F1AAS&tab=Sizes
Do your tires say "Goodyear"?

Your link is for 255/45ZR18

These are the Pirellis that came on my car. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ason+Run+Flat&width=225/&ratio=40&diameter=19

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm picking up my Q4 Ti Sport with Sport Performance Package on Wednesday (its going to be a long couple of days!). Since my car is being traded from another dealer I haven't actually seen it yet. What tires should I expect to see on it?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do your tires say "Goodyear"?

Your link is for 255/45ZR18

These are the Pirellis that came on my car. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ason+Run+Flat&width=225/&ratio=40&diameter=19
Yeah that's part of the issue, can't for the life of me find the tires in the right size in the All Season / Run Flats that I was told they were.

They are Goodyear Eagle F1 225/45R18 91Y Asymmetric 3. No mention of run flat on the tire anywhere
I think those only come 225/40/18 no? I don’t recall seeing 225/45

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Have you checked your trunk for an inflator kit?

And what does your car's window sticker say?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my run flats are 225/40R19 P7's

1 - 20 of 31 Posts