Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand flashes are updating continuously on these vehicles. Especially since these are new technologies, new engines etc. Is there any indication as to when these cars will be up to date? I have ONE RRT flash that I have to wait one month for. Which is no fault of a dealer but to the manufacturer. If this brand wants to compete with the Germans and even the Japanese they have to have TOP service instead of this nonsense to wait one month for an update.

Despite the fact it's the most beautiful sedan on the road all the more I still don't care! she is mine...luckily as most of you understand as well. If we weren't Alfisti than that's another story. But these new owners coming from BMW/Audi/MB aren't going to put up with this stuff. Alfa Romeo has to get their act together if they want to compete. Which makes me understand more the articles out regarding software.

Is the car not functioning absolutely not but this update is pretty crucial regarding a misfiring which the car must warm up for a good five minutes prior to driving. My obvious concern is if any damage may be done as a result of the misfiring, I was told just as long as it idles* for five minutes in the morning it should be fine.

Alfa get your act together

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
These are direct injection engines, right? Misfiring can be bad for the cylinder and the cat. Fuel will wash the walls of the cylinder, reducing compression and getting into the oil. IT can be bad for the bearings if the viscosity and additives are compromised because of fuel in the oil. Not good for the valves either. It will make the cat work harder get too hot and eventually clog up or fail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
They really should make this things wifi connected so the updates can happen at home. And if they want to control it they still can. Just call your dealer, have them put in a ticket then Alfa can push the update to your VIN. The tech is there...perhaps a future model year will have this.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it wasn't good for anything internally in this vehicle. Apparently, its an update for a misfiring which actually isn't throwing off a code. I'm in a situation where I have to wait and in the back of my mind its all happening during a break-in period. they told me in the morning to just let the car idle for 5 minutes in the morning but that in itself is no good right?

These are direct injection engines, right? Misfiring can be bad for the cylinder and the cat. Fuel will wash the walls of the cylinder, reducing compression and getting into the oil. IT can be bad for the bearings if the viscosity and additives are compromised because of fuel in the oil. Not good for the valves either. It will make the cat work harder get too hot and eventually clog up or fail.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They really should make this things wifi connected so the updates can happen at home. And if they want to control it they still can. Just call your dealer, have them put in a ticket then Alfa can push the update to your VIN. The tech is there...perhaps a future model year will have this.

better make sure its safe and encrypted LOL

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
Tesla has been doing it since they started. And of all the things that people transfer over the internet, this is probably the least of our worries.
The concern is that where ever there is an internet access point there is also a way to hack through it. I expect that once "connected" to your car pretty much everything would become available to a hacker including the ability to damage the vehicle and/or threaten the occupants. Pay a ransom or else your car will start itself and drive through the back wall of your garage, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
The concern is that where ever there is an internet access point there is also a way to hack through it. I expect that once "connected" to your car pretty much everything would become available to a hacker including the ability to damage the vehicle and/or threaten the occupants. Pay a ransom or else your car will start itself and drive through the back wall of your garage, that sort of thing.
Its possible IF the connection is always live. But like your settings on your phone; you can disable the 3G, 4G, LTE chip or Bluetooth chip on the device and it prevents any connection to or from the device. So you would be able to (hypothetically speaking) turn on the connection when you are initiating the update download and turn it off when its complete.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I figured it wasn't good for anything internally in this vehicle. Apparently, its an update for a misfiring which actually isn't throwing off a code. I'm in a situation where I have to wait and in the back of my mind its all happening during a break-in period. they told me in the morning to just let the car idle for 5 minutes in the morning but that in itself is no good right?
Probably not a big deal if it's just idle. The bigger issues come in when you are moving the car at speed and pulling a load. That's when the fuel delivery and misfiring can be a problem.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Received a call from customer care today only to find out the update will not be ready any time soon. Which means what for me here? I'm livid, how could they come out with a product with the intention of carrying over consumers from competitive brands. Cars that are sold with faults and issues out of the factory. It boggles my mind.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You guys know you can call Alfa Premium care at 1-844-253-2872 and give them your VIN and they can tell you if you have any RRT's available for your car?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hi SerpenteRosso,

I just want to get up to speed with your issue. So they applied the ECU update for the stalling? You verified your ECU is updated based on the oil temp gauge reading 4 bars instead of 5 after reaching normal operating temperature?

So after the update, the car is still experiencing misfires? What exactly is the car doing? Do you hear engine knock? Or do you sometimes feel a slight increase in engine vibration while idling?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys know you can call Alfa Premium care at 1-844-253-2872 and give them your VIN and they can tell you if you have any RRT's available for your car?

I have them all up to date to what was available for my car but this particular update is not ready and they are not sure when. It has to do with engine during cold starting.

·
Registered
869 Posts
HAHAHAHA. They will tell 5 different stories, tell you the other 4 are lies, tell you that your issues don't actually exist...and then still make you go to the dealer

·
Registered
953 Posts
Can you elaborate? Please keep in mind that the Giulia 2.0 engine is not the smoothest engine during cold start. So you cannot compare it to the Audi or Lexus 4 bangers. You WILL experience excess vibration during cold start.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for reaching out, when I took delivery of the vehicle, the car stalled into neutral and it gave me some type of fault. The exact fault, I do not recall, I was panicking because it was right after the toll booth. A few days after, I brought the car in for that and found out the oil temp gauge was running at 5 bars rather than 4. So those were updated along with a transmission update and last week three updates.

I understand the multiair engine is a little rough when there is a cold start, that is normal. But the issue I'm dealing with is the engine stumbles during the first 3 minutes of idle. This morning it did it twice. When you start the car and let it idle, the rpm's abruptly go up and then down and then up again until it finally corrects itself. Basically the engine shakes and if I were to go into reverse after the initial cold start, the car would try to stall but it wouldn't display any errors.

So I was told to let the car sit for 5 minutes in the morning and then drive. I need to know if this can cause damage to the engine or the catalytic converter.

Here is the youtube video, pay close attention around 2:25 that's what I'm talking about

there is no engine knock nothing, I'm wondering if the injectors have an issue but then again couldn't it throw an engine code?

Hi SerpenteRosso,

I just want to get up to speed with your issue. So they applied the ECU update for the stalling? You verified your ECU is updated based on the oil temp gauge reading 4 bars instead of 5 after reaching normal operating temperature?

So after the update, the car is still experiencing misfires? What exactly is the car doing? Do you hear engine knock? Or do you sometimes feel a slight increase in engine vibration while idling?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you elaborate? Please keep in mind that the Giulia 2.0 engine is not the smoothest engine during cold start. So you cannot compare it to the Audi or Lexus 4 bangers. You WILL experience excess vibration during cold start.

I know about the multi-air engines, they run a little rougher than what you had mentioned however I'm talking about something on a completely different level.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts