Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get this warning or perhaps familiar with it? QV is back in service for 2nd time this week with 150 miles on odo. :frown2::frown2:

Received this from the East Coast dealer where I bought the car (it's being serviced in the west where I lived. I did this to avoid 8K premium).

"T
he repairing dealer did not perform the proper calibration procedures causing some modules and or sensors to not respond properly to their designated ecus. I would recommend disconnecting the negative cable on the battery for 1 hour and allowing the car to go to “sleep”. Reconnect and start. You will notice multiple warning lights but it is not to be concerned about. Drive the car for 15-30 minutes straight and make turns. All systems including the electronic throttle will operate as designed. If not the sewer must program everything."

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'm sorry to say but your car was not updated at all it would seem, these are known electronic glitches that have been cured with software updates.
Clearly the selling dealer did not feel the need to do this as the car was being shipped across the country...
but frankly if you saved 8k you KILLED IT!!! these are all little nit-picks that are cured with the updates, not unique to you/car....my car went through it as well
in for its 1 year and there are some RRT's that came out that need to be addressed even though I did not experience them...
How is your servicing dealer??

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sewer? You mean Seller? Sounds like the shop needs to do a full set of updates which can be time consuming. Is it a 2017? Probably so. I like the sleep idea. You might even just turn the car back on after letting it sleep. Just acc not start (no foot on brake) and see what happens. Ferraris used to do a learn procedure and the F1 pumps will start and prime pressure even when you open the door. Bench testing an F1 robot is cool too. Very transformer like and super fast. I wonder about the Mangeti Marelli ecus and a simple battery disconnect may get you back on the road. At least so you can drop it off for updates. These are just stupid computers after all. ;) Sorry for the hassle and hope you get back up to speed soon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry to say but your car was not updated at all it would seem, these are known electronic glitches that have been cured with software updates.
Clearly the selling dealer did not feel the need to do this as the car was being shipped across the country...
but frankly if you saved 8k you KILLED IT!!! these are all little nit-picks that are cured with the updates, not unique to you/car....my car went through it as well
in for its 1 year and there are some RRT's that came out that need to be addressed even though I did not experience them...
How is your servicing dealer??
The service manager and tech seem to be very competent. Selling dealer said all software updates were completed. Thanks for your empathy. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sewer? You mean Seller? Sounds like the shop needs to do a full set of updates which can be time consuming. Is it a 2017? Probably so. I like the sleep idea. You might even just turn the car back on after letting it sleep. Just acc not start (no foot on brake) and see what happens. Ferraris used to do a learn procedure and the F1 pumps will start and prime pressure even when you open the door. Bench testing an F1 robot is cool too. Very transformer like and super fast. I wonder about the Mangeti Marelli ecus and a simple battery disconnect may get you back on the road. At least so you can drop it off for updates. These are just stupid computers after all. ;) Sorry for the hassle and hope you get back up to speed soon.
Thanks, it's a MY18.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The correspondence was written by the East Coast dealer, including "sewer."

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Anyone get this warning or perhaps familiar with it? QV is back in service for 2nd time this week with 150 miles on odo. :frown2::frown2:

Received this from the East Coast dealer where I bought the car (it's being serviced in the west where I lived. I did this to avoid 8K premium).

"T
he repairing dealer did not perform the proper calibration procedures causing some modules and or sensors to not respond properly to their designated ecus. I would recommend disconnecting the negative cable on the battery for 1 hour and allowing the car to go to “sleep”. Reconnect and start. You will notice multiple warning lights but it is not to be concerned about. Drive the car for 15-30 minutes straight and make turns. All systems including the electronic throttle will operate as designed. If not the sewer must program everything."
Yup, same here on a 2017 Base. Dealer can't figure it out. Request has been made for a replacement vehicle.

What happens is that when the outside temp is cold, and you start the car, it throws a CEL with that error. If you turn the engine off and start up again, CEL comes on but no throttle error. Dealer can't figure it out, and I guess Alfa Romeo can't either.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
haha what the **** are dealerships replacing vehicles for instead of fixing the dam problem I mean I am sure it makes the consumer happy but that cannot be great for the bottom line lol.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I think it may be the electrical and harness issues that could be in the way. To really pin down the problem, the harness needs to be pulled or connectors and sensors need to be checked, which mean the harness needs to be pulled and it turns molehill into a mountain. I buddy at work told me about his Audi that had a harness failure and totaled the car. Dang shame. I have had similar problems with my O2 sensors. Corrosion from weather fouling the connectors and rotting them out. Heat fatigue, and cat/fuel issues, but luckily those are replacement items so you can plug and play for the most part. When the alternator on my 360 failed it took out the cable too (real source of trouble-poor connector design-upgrade). A known issue but when pulling the cable the shop broke the oil pressure sender sitting above the bell housing where it crossed in the same spot. Argh!

·
Registered
498 Posts
haha what the **** are dealerships replacing vehicles for instead of fixing the dam problem I mean I am sure it makes the consumer happy but that cannot be great for the bottom line lol.
Agreed. I really like my car, but take my dealership for example; they had the car for week, couldn't fix a **** thing, so I called them 2 days ago, and so far no call back. Alfa Romeo needs to push on these dealerships to provide better service to make this brand outstanding, or this brand will not make it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Because the dealers are getting no help from FCA, STARS or AR Italy.

You, the car owner(s), always have the option of calling FCA and making a formal complaint. I've had to do this with my 4C multiple times and once for my wife's Fiat. Fortunately, I've never experienced a glitch with our Giulia Ti.
Fiat Chrysler of America: 844-253-2872

Be sure to tell them that if they don't fix this customer care issue, they will fail once again here in the USA.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
74 Posts
Because the dealers are getting no help from FCA, STARS or AR Italy.

You, the car owner(s), always have the option of calling FCA and making a formal complaint. I've had to do this with my 4C multiple times and once for my wife's Fiat. Fortunately, I've never experienced a glitch with our Giulia Ti.
Fiat Chrysler of America: 844-253-2872

Be sure to tell them that if they don't fix this customer care issue, they will fail once again here in the USA.
I can't believe you bought another Alfa with that experience!:surprise:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Unless you end up with a lemon, you spend 99% of the time enjoying a unique car few will ever own ... it's worth it especially if it's warranty stuff ... :smile2:

Just like I say in regards to dealerships, you go home with the car, not the salesman

·
Registered
641 Posts
Agreed. I really like my car, but take my dealership for example; they had the car for week, couldn't fix a **** thing, so I called them 2 days ago, and so far no call back. Alfa Romeo needs to push on these dealerships to provide better service to make this brand outstanding, or this brand will not make it.
Sorry to hear. Every time I read about poor dealer experiences, it reinforces my decision to purchase and service my car at the best dealer I've ever dealt with...Miller Motor Cars in Greenwich/Stamford, CT. It's a good 1 to 1.5 hour drive for me, but the experience has been tremendous. When my car was in for repair, I received regular updates by email and if I had a question, the service adviser always got back to me the same day. I think in part it is because they sell and service high end cars like Ferrari, McLaren , Pagani etc.

Not inexpensive labor-wise, but worth every cent.

I know MDriver feels the same way an has been using them for a while.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
They eventually fixed the transmission in my 4C and I now have 29,000 wonderful miles on her :grin2:

The Fiat issue had more to do with the extended warranty company than with Fiat. Fiat sold us the policy when we bought the car, so I called FCA when the the third-party didn't want to fix the car. They fixed the car.

We have almost 12,000 miles on the Giulia with no issues.

These Alfas are great driver cars. I enjoy working on my cars. After the new car warranty is up, I'll be doing my own wrenching.

·
Registered
498 Posts
They eventually fixed the transmission in my 4C and I now have 29,000 wonderful miles on her :grin2:

The Fiat issue had more to do with the extended warranty company than with Fiat. Fiat sold us the policy when we bought the car, so I called FCA when the the third-party didn't want to fix the car. They fixed the car.

We have almost 12,000 miles on the Giulia with no issues.

These Alfas are great driver cars. I enjoy working on my cars. After the new car warranty is up, I'll be doing my own wrenching.
I kinda regret leasing the car, as I would like to do some things on it, but currently in my situation with the car, I am glad at the same time.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I kinda regret leasing the car, as I would like to do some things on it, but currently in my situation with the car, I am glad at the same time.
When I got 3 or 4 little messages on the dash in a row one morning at 7500 miles, I remember why I leased it, lol. I love the car but I love warranties more I think

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've never leased a car, but sometimes you have the option to buy the car at the end of the lease.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts