Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Hi all, has anyone noticed a rough start , if you don't let the vehicle warm up for a few minutes?
You may experience engine shakes and misfires within the first 30 secs or so then the engine calms down a little. Not sure if there are updates to address this issue.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
It is not uncommon for modern smogged vehicles to not run nicely until the exhaust is hot enough for the catalytic converter to function. My 2013 Subaru even has a light on the dashboard to indicate "engine is too cold to run properly". While the light is on the shift points are altered dramatically and idle speed is increased. With the much more highly tuned engine in Giulia it may be impossible to maintain smooth running during warm up.

Note that since the mid 1990s or so, almost all of the smog produced by a properly running gas engine is produced during warm up. IMO: Since the air quality control boards don't seem to have the guts to crack down on other sources of smog, they just keep squeezing every tiny little bit out of your car and this is the result.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, my ND Miata has the "engine is cold" warning light and it is very rough until that goes off. It's an abrupt change when it goes smooth, so it's clearly a switch in tuning that happens when the engine or exhaust is warm enough.

Our F31BMW with 2.0L turbo is also rough (no light, though) and then switches to a smoother mode after it warms up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answer, it makes sense no., back in the early 80's I had a Lancia and a fiat and I always had to let them warm up , but that was because of the small oil lines it's a little warmer in Italy.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
My car came with an engine block heater. Maybe I'll need to use it in the winter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Glad you asked about it. I noticed the same thing on my TI
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but was there a fix or is this indeed normal? I picked up my 2018 Ti last week and notice it runs rough for about 1-2 minutes after cold start.

Reactions: moonkei

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mine has a rough cold start as well. I figured this was normal operation but it's definitely different than my previous cars. The first time in the morning or leaving work, it cranks a few to several times before starting. Reminds me of muscle cars from the 70s lol.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
The various software updates seem to have helped, though I imagine our cars are exhibiting best behavior in the current warm weather.

Has anyone experienced hot start issues in 90 heat?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the same rough start on my 3 week old 18' Ti. It's definitely something I'm not use to so that's how I ended up in this thread. :)

I'm in Vegas so I'm curious how it'll be during the cold season coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
My Q4 misfires a lot while cranking the engine from a cold start at higher altitudes. Perhaps a good reason behind the auto-start stop not working at high altitudes.

Once the engine is running I have not observed it being rough. It does gulp and enormous amount of fuel during warm up and idle at a very high speed.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not a rough start but when I first put it in drive, the car bucks a couple of times before it smooths out. I believe there is a software fix for this, please verify that there is a fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in FL, so a "cold start" is a relative term. Nevertheless, my '17 Giulia seems to have an excessively long start and it's definitely a noticeable shake at first. Also, the first shift does have a "bucking" sensation.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I usually let my q.v. warm up for a minute or two no matter the temperature until the muffler changes it’s tune. It’s starts really loud then idles off. By the time I hit the auto start/stop button and plug in phone to Apple play it’s good to go. I notice if it sits for a day then it takes a little longer. I also let it idle for a minute before turning off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts