Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my Giulia a couple of weeks ago and had a question. I was going to search for it, but that's not working for me right now :[ So if this is common, sorry! I noticed when I start my car in the morning it seems fine, but in the afternoon after I get off work when I start it up it idles rough and at higher rpms. It seems fine after a few minutes, but I'm a bit paranoid. Not sure if this is normal, and is there a fix with one of the TSB/RTTs? Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought my Giulia a couple of weeks ago and had a question. I was going to search for it, but that's not working for me right now :[ So if this is common, sorry! I noticed when I start my car in the morning it seems fine, but in the afternoon after I get off work when I start it up it idles rough and at higher rpms. It seems fine after a few minutes, but I'm a bit paranoid. Not sure if this is normal, and is there a fix with one of the TSB/RTTs? Thanks!
That's fine. I always let my car idle in the morning and afternoon to let all the fluids run through the car till it idles down and then drive. I was also paranoid about alfa when I first got it. But so far there has been no problems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Totally normal. Cold starts always have slightly higher idle. It helps with emissions because it brings catalytic converter and engine as a whole up to operating temps more quickly. All direct injection motors seem to be noisy, almost diesel like. I think it’s a byproduct of very high fuel injector pressures.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the replies. To add to that, after starting up the car feels a little jerky for a minute if I don't let it sit and just go, is that normal as well? Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is an ECU update to fix rough idling, especially at start. Mine idled rough in cold weather, almost to the point of stalling, for first 5 minutes or so. Update applied and it has not yet been rough. Much better. Call your dealer or check AR Care to see if your VIN still needs the update.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is an ECU update to fix rough idling, especially at start. Mine idled rough in cold weather, almost to the point of stalling, for first 5 minutes or so. Update applied and it has not yet been rough. Much better. Call your dealer or check AR Care to see if your VIN still needs the update.
Does yours still idle rough though? I mean I know you said it's better. Mine isn't as bad as what you're saying though. It doesn't feel like it's going to stall at all, just a little rougher than I'm used to in other cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Appreciate the replies. To add to that, after starting up the car feels a little jerky for a minute if I don't let it sit and just go, is that normal as well? Thanks.
Same issue here. Its jerky on the start but then it settles to the purr I am used to all day.
The A mode is another place where it doesn't always respond to a full press of the pedal which is odd.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,446 Posts
She's a morning person once the ristretto kicks in.

Reactions: fortunato17 and Max

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here! I think I have noticed it's worst in Advanced Eco mode. Is this normal along with the rough idle???

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rough cold starts/cold idles are totally normal with this engine. Not an issue, just a quirk of the car. I have a cousin who sells these cars and says it's pretty much the same across all the cars.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mines the same and it runs fine after a short warm up...

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Vesuvio/Red, Perf Pkg, CF all over.
155 Posts
I live in Florida so weather temps are usually high enough in the morning to allow AC to be on right after startup. Idles fine but first pull off stumbles a bit unless you make sure the AC is turned off. Extra AC load seems to cause this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts