Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else feel the idle is rougher than expected on 2.0 ? For sure when cold it is rough first few minutes, but it is OK when fully warm (still a bit less smooth that other cars I have driven in past). Rev level seems correct at idle.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yup...same issue with my Ti. Definitely rough until warmed up. But then it seems fine.

Reactions: GioSailor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same here, rough idle when cold, rpm stable. I'd say it's something to do with multi-air valve system. Giulia Super Sport 2.0 petrol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Anyone else feel the idle is rougher than expected on 2.0 ? For sure when cold it is rough first few minutes, but it is OK when fully warm (still a bit less smooth that other cars I have driven in past). Rev level seems correct at idle.
I noticed this too and from exhaust fumes at start seems to run "rich" by design at the start and warm up period. This is maybe to not cause detonation in early driving for those who start car with no warm up and drive right away. Maybe?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here in Austin, TX with 60 to 70 degree mornings I get the rough idle for 90 to 120 seconds. I just let my car sit through this initial slightly higher idle and warm up period and then all goes to normal idle with zero rough idle issues.

It seems like the fuel mapping is "timed" to run rich for a set time as the engine/turbo warm up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I noticed this too and from exhaust fumes at start seems to run "rich" by design at the start and warm up period. This is maybe to not cause detonation in early driving for those who start car with no warm up and drive right away. Maybe?
Now make sure all of you start your car in the early morning and rush out to immediately sniff your exhaust fumes...get your face down by one of the exhaust pipes and see what you smell! :grin2:

·
Registered
94 Posts

All cars with direct injection run very rich on first cold start. Hence rough idle and black exhaust or gas smelling exhaust.

·
Registered
787 Posts
All cars with direct injection run very rich on first cold start. Hence rough idle and black exhaust or gas smelling exhaust.
Not from my experience, current car Mazda 3 starts up smooth and not overly rich. I don't think the alfa has a balance shaft.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry I think it's the QV that has no balance shaft.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not from my experience, current car Mazda 3 starts up smooth and not overly rich. I don't think the alfa has a balance shaft.

Understood, but when these cars start up they go full rich, no choke. So the injectors are dumping fuel into all cylinders witch will cause a rough idle when first started. That is why most of the comments here state the car will smooth out after a min or so. We also deal with this on are Maserati's in fact we have a lot of miss fire faults on are six cylinder cars over the cold months here because they run so rich.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys

As promised I keep you updated about this issue I have also on my Giulia 2.0 200.

The dealershop asked someone from the FR headquarters to come and analyse this issue and after few days I received a letter from Alfa France saying that all is normal...

I disagree with this, so I have paid (with my insurance) and external expert to show them this is not "normal" as I said.
We have a meeting planned with my dealershop, Alfa france, and my external expert on 13th June... Let see what will happen afterwards.

For the rest, I have no problem with my Giulia, 3500km now and rest is fine

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The 4 cylinder engine has twin counter rotating balance shafts.

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yesterday I filled out a online questionnaire from Alfa/Chrysler the first question was about the rough idle, so they must know about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ive found starting in natural vs dynamic mode tends to make things a little smoother, any one else notice this or is it just in my head lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
ive found starting in natural vs dynamic mode tends to make things a little smoother, any one else notice this or is it just in my head lol
Yes, I noticed that too.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here in Austin, TX with 60 to 70 degree mornings I get the rough idle for 90 to 120 seconds. I just let my car sit through this initial slightly higher idle and warm up period and then all goes to normal idle with zero rough idle issues.

It seems like the fuel mapping is "timed" to run rich for a set time as the engine/turbo warm up.
I tell all of my customers to do wait till the revs drop, the 4C's do the same thing, and my M235i is way worse than the Giulia's. I don't see it so much as an issue, more of a trade off for the vehicle getting great performance and economy.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts