Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
looks interesting, I assume you would need to drill the boot lid to fit it unless it comes with 3M tape
As an genuine accessory aftermarket kit, I do not believe you have to drill. The part number for the kit is different to standard QV equipment part number. There are locating pins on the QV, and fastened with nuts on the underside. Even from the factory, they are also mounted with double sided tape, that is the design. Haven't seen the instructions yet though.

I have seen the instructions, because they came with my official MoparOnline rear spoiler (and stronger springs), which I ordered from and recently picked up at my local Alfa dealer. I "negotiated" a price that's higher than what's shown on the Mopar website, but I'm sure the local asking price included shipping and store profit. Both the parts guy and I are OK, and these are the guys that've very satisfactorily serviced our two Italian cars for over seven years.

Not in a rush, but I can tell you the official Alfa Romeo factory spoiler I received is the genuine article. It's not fiberglass and it's not carbon fiber. It's plastic, hollow, primer gray, and is imprinted with the European the factory codes and diagrams that can only be molded in plastic of some sort, and yes, it does have the two mating holes to line up on the decklid of a QV. It also includes paper templates to tape on both sides of the trunk lid to properly line it up if it's not being installed on a QV. The written instructions are comically brief — all pictograms; no words, though the disclaimers are printed in 17 languages.

There's a thin (maybe quarter of an inch) strip of 3M super tape all the way around the spoiler already installed. There's also a continuous, thin (maybe an eighth of an inch) indentation that runs all around (maybe half an inch) inside the tape outline. The pictogram shows an ordinary caulking gun applying a 3mm bead of an unnamed "adhesive" into the indentation. And nothing else! End of pictogram! Before I turn mine over to someone trustworthy and experienced to install, there will be a discussion about what version of liquid nails -type adhesive to use, among other parameters.

But I'm quite certain the spoiler I chose, being the real deal, and appearing to hug the contours of the decklid more closely than the other spoilers I've seen on the forum, or seen available online, my worries about water freezing and separating the spoiler inside the gap will be assuaged. Photos will follow, but "social distancing" and cold weather have been slowing my progress. I'll be getting mine painted in simple gloss back, to coordinate with the black window trim, the gloss black sunroof areas and the flat black (mostly in shadows) lower rear "extractor".

I ordered one a while back... may have been the been the same seller but I'm not sure....after about a week they ended up refunding me because they couldn't color match the rosso competition red ...or so they said..they recommended that I reorder and get Alfa black but I never did...

The OEM spoilers come with stronger springs to stop sagging boot/trunk lids. Are these available separately for the eBay spoilers, or will the owners just need to buy some band aids for their foreheads?
You can get the springs separately: Part #68333274AA x2 Deck Lid Pop Up Springs. The "x2" means you have to buy two of them because the part number is for one spring.

Part #68441062AA Deck Lid Spoiler Kit. I presume it's called a "kit" because the 3M tape is already attached. You do still have to apply additional adhesive that doesn't come with the "kit".

Reactions: Richardalfa
I just wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone had problems with the eBay spoiler down the line. I received mine today in Vulcano Black. The paint job is awesome. Looks great. I'll be installing soon just trying to determine if I should use adhesive silicone like they recommend or if it's not really needed. I want to make sure I could remove it if I ever need to. I'm also not sure where to use the silicone since the instructions just say to use it in strategic locations. Thanks everyone.

I just wanted to resurrect this thread and see if anyone had problems with the eBay spoiler down the line. I received mine today in Vulcano Black. The paint job is awesome. Looks great. I'll be installing soon just trying to determine if I should use adhesive silicone like they recommend or if it's not really needed. I want to make sure I could remove it if I ever need to. I'm also not sure where to use the silicone since the instructions just say to use it in strategic locations. Thanks everyone.
As I said on another thread I too have just received my CF spoiler yesterday and am planning how to fit it. Everybody seems to be going with tape and mine came pre taped. I actually like adhesive silicone because (a) It fills up minor gaps at the edges better and (b)It avoids that "oh shit" moment when you put the tape down and its a little bit out- silicone can be fiddled with a little. I think I will try the tape with a bit of extra silicone either in the centre of the "wings" or to seal around the front edge (with excess wiped out thoroughly). My current concern is how to position it - mine fits better forward a bit but looks better back and there is no obvious key position.

Have had mine on for at least five months now using only the 3M tape and have had no issues. I dry fitted the spoiler then used painters tape around the spoiler as a template to help with final positioning. My car is dark grey, and so while there is a small gap that could be filled with silicone, I think it would cause more harm aesthetically than good. I only hand wash my car so there are no scratches to speak of. Still looks great.

Have had mine on for at least five months now using only the 3M tape and have had no issues. I dry fitted the spoiler then used painters tape around spoiler as a template to help with final positioning. My car is dark grey, and so while there is a small gap that could be filled with silicone, I think it would cause more harm aesthetically than good. I only hand wash my car so there are no scratches to speak of. Still looks great.

Looks great! Thanks for the response

Discussion starter · #72 ·
I’ve had mine on since April 2019 and zero issues. It looks factory. I only used the supplied tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the updates everyone. I ended up adding a bit of adhesive silicone down the middle. Probably just for peace of mine. It lined up and went on really easy. It's currently curing overnight with some weight on it. Even after 5 minutes it's felt really solid.

I ended up putting a bead of silicone around the spoiler for better adherence and to help keep water out. It looks great. Really happy with it. Took it out in torrential rains and heavy winds for my first drive today. Seems to be holding tight. I did notice at highway speeds over bumps I see it bounce up and down in my rearview mirror. I can only see the tip of the spoiler but it does bounce quite a bit. I think it's the movement of the trunk because I just can't imagine how the spoiler would move that way, but I'm curious to see if anyone else noticed that. I'll post some pics when the weather gets better so people can see how a Vulcano Black spoiler on a Vulcano black car looks.

I ended up putting a bead of silicone around the spoiler for better adherence and to help keep water out. It looks great. Really happy with it. Took it out in torrential rains and heavy winds for my first drive today. Seems to be holding tight. I did notice at highway speeds over bumps I see it bounce up and down in my rearview mirror. I can only see the tip of the spoiler but it does bounce quite a bit. I think it's the movement of the trunk because I just can't imagine how the spoiler would move that way, but I'm curious to see if anyone else noticed that. I'll post some pics when the weather gets better so people can see how a Vulcano Black spoiler on a Vulcano black car looks.
I'm sure it's our flippy floppy trunk lid.

Reactions: Driving a Vulcano
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.