Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been sitting in my living room for something like a week now. I finally got myself together enough to go put it on. Very easy! Took me maybe half an hour, and I was taking my time. The most tedious part is walking from one side of the car to the other as you tighten it down, to make sure it's even.

Then I gave her a wash, followed by a very enthusiastic, high-speed air dry...

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
No disrespect here. I understand the need. I totally get the desire. But...sorry...just...no. This is why my other car is a Subaru.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What happened on that wall in the background?. It looks like a war zone !!!.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the interest in thorough scientific evaluations, I left the rack on today for the drive to work.

At about 30-40 mph, with the windows down, I can hear a faint whistling from it. Radio at a comfortable volume masks it. At about 70-80 mph on the freeway, if I have the windows up and radio off or very low, I can hear the wind buffeting around it above me, but don't feel anything; though the wheel, seat, or even if I put my hand on the ceiling. I've known friends with roof racks displaying surprisingly bad aerodynamics, causing the car to shake, à la a wheel that needs balancing or a mildly flat-spotted tire. Not the case here. If someone were so inclined, you could simply leave this rack on and it doesn't seem like it'd effect anything. I'm getting a top box for it for an upcoming long trip, so I'll report back once I have that on and how it effects the car, because I'm sure it will.

The one thing that I find peculiar about this rack is the keys. Yes, keys, plural. There are four. One comes in each black plastic clamshell at either end of each bar. You use the key to unlock the clamshell so it can fold up, allowing access to the allen bolt underneath to tighten or loosen the rail. The part that I find interesting is that each one came with a key in it, but all the keys are identical, and each key works in each corner. You only need one to do all this, but you have four.

Do with that information what you will.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree. I got it strictly for practical purposes.
you would they could design a rack that is at least a tiny bit more easy on the eye, it really is not attractive but understand the need for it. Me, if I had a roof rack to haul my bikes, it'd probaby make it one trip, distracted when I drive into the garage with bikes on the mount. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you would they could design a rack that is at least a tiny bit more easy on the eye, it really is not attractive but understand the need for it. Me, if I had a roof rack to haul my bikes, it'd probaby make it one trip, distracted when I drive into the garage with bikes on the mount. :)
That made me cringe just thinking about it. I don't even want to imagine what would happen to the roof if something like that were to occur.

As far as they styling goes, I'm very 'meh' about it. True, it's not the most aesthetic thing in the world, but I don't think I could think of a way to make it more pleasing to the eye without potentially sacrificing some usability or ease of use/installation.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to try. A friend of mine wants to paint and decorate the rack and the associated cargo box. I just might let him.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport RWD, vesuvio gray
22 Posts
What do you put on the roof rack and in the cargo box - is this for your band equipment when you are touring or nefarious goods transport? Did you get the box yet? How about posting pictures with the box? As Vesparider mentioned - we'd all like to better understand the need. You said a planned long trip - Giulia is excellent for a long trip - how many passengers will be joining you. . .
All in all the rack looks solid and better than most aerodynamically.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you put on the roof rack and in the cargo box - is this for your band equipment when you are touring or nefarious goods transport? Did you get the box yet? How about posting pictures with the box? As Vesparider mentioned - we'd all like to better understand the need. You said a planned long trip - Giulia is excellent for a long trip - how many passengers will be joining you. . .
All in all the rack looks solid and better than most aerodynamically.
Don't have the box yet. I got it mainly for a coast-to-coast trip coming up, but also for the other random trips and such not. It'll be nice to have somewhere else to put stuff, instead of cramming it all together in the trunk or backseat, and having to dig through it to find a camera charger or toothbrush or what have you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts