Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did a road trip with our Giulia base 2.0T, driving to SoCal from Vegas to attend the Big Socal Euro meet in San Diego.

Was the only Giulia there, and one of two Alfas (the other was a Spider) in the huge event of likely 1000+ cars. Over three days, only saw one other Alfa roaming the streets, a 4c.

Surprised that there are still so few cars driving about, despite sales numbers being a bit stronger lately.

Besides that, had four people in the car, with associated gear -- had we all packed for a week long trip, trunk space would not have been sufficient.

I also have Eibach lowering springs, with federal 595 RS-R all around. Car rode pretty good, even though SoCal roads suck, the suspension took 95% of the bumps and dips SoCal three at it, without drama. The other 5% had the rear hit the bump stops on some of the more aggressive bumps.

Handling wise, absolutely amazing with the setup. Comfortable enough for the freeway stuff, fun enough for the on / off ramps and twisty bits.

The only hindrance is interior storage is terrible. The rear seat pockets won't hold drinks, there's no rear center bin, the rear cup holders on the doors is laughable. Thankfully, having the pass thru for the trunk, helped a lot, as the rear passengers can store things out of the way, but still access without stopping the car.

Powerwise, more than enough to merge, pass, do everything you need to get around terrible Californian drivers.

Drove mostly in Advanced Efficiency, got around 35mpg, which I imagine is mostly from the gearbox dropping into neutral during areas that you could coast. Weird seeing the tach drop to idle rpms while you're doing 85mph.

Car does get a TON of head turns and nods. The Euro meet had people constantly taking photos. Not sure if it's because there's virtually little exterior bits to distinguish between the QV and base model unless you know what to look for, or if it's because the car is lowered. But, lots of "nice car", I'll take it, even if they think it's a QV and it's not.

Anyways, some photos I took of the tailgating side of the meet. The official show was less impressive than what people brought to the parking lot. Also meet up with a friend with a new Civic Type R in Champ. White... Didn't realize how white the Alfa white really is.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
I hate to sound like an old prig.

But I do not see my car as a place to consume beverages, either by driver or passenger.

When I drive, I drive. And when I drink, I drink.
Hahahaha, my thoughts exactly! I don't give a **** about 'comforts' for passengers, 'cos they won't be bringing food/drink into my car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Have to agree with the sentiment that passengers will not be drinking or eating inside my car (water aside). Also @Driven noticed your tow hook cover looks like it isn't secured well. Have had the same issue after every drive I take. Getting this fixed at the dealer currently and hoping a new fitting solves the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
The Civic Type R is quite literally a design exercise in ugly. If you put 10 designers in a room and said come up with the ugliest car you can, it'd be pretty close to the Civic.

It's too bad Honda and Toyota both lost their way. Hondas were never beautiful (some Acuras were, as well as NSX) but Toyota did always have some beauties in the stables, especially the Supras.

The Ford Focus RS is about as sexy as a bag of popcorn, but it's a filet mignon compared to the Civic type r.

Anyway, your Giulia is beautiful. Even if she is a little bit short! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahahaha, my thoughts exactly! I don't give a **** about 'comforts' for passengers, 'cos they won't be bringing food/drink into my car!
The SO drove the boring bits, so I rode around in the front and back to get a feel for it. Also, it has leather seats, which cleans up spills pretty easily. I'm not neurotic about my cars, I let people sit/drive my cars all the time. Rather have my friends be comfortable than miserable.


The Civic Type R is quite literally a design exercise in ugly. If you put 10 designers in a room and said come up with the ugliest car you can, it'd be pretty close to the Civic.
Totally agree.

It's too bad Honda and Toyota both lost their way. Hondas were never beautiful (some Acuras were, as well as NSX) but Toyota did always have some beauties in the stables, especially the Supras.
The first gen, and it's redesign, NSX was a good looking car. The S2000, great looking roadster. But, agree... Honda has hired some near blind designers.


Are those two Seats in the third picture?? How did those find themselves in US??
They are, and I'm not sure. I imagine they are Mexican registered/owned, since this show was in San Diego -- but didn't see the plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Just did a road trip with our Giulia base 2.0T, driving to SoCal from Vegas to attend the Big Socal Euro meet in San Diego.

Was the only Giulia there, and one of two Alfas (the other was a Spider) in the huge event of likely 1000+ cars. Over three days, only saw one other Alfa roaming the streets, a 4c.

Surprised that there are still so few cars driving about, despite sales numbers being a bit stronger lately.

Besides that, had four people in the car, with associated gear -- had we all packed for a week long trip, trunk space would not have been sufficient.

I also have Eibach lowering springs, with federal 595 RS-R all around. Car rode pretty good, even though SoCal roads suck, the suspension took 95% of the bumps and dips SoCal three at it, without drama. The other 5% had the rear hit the bump stops on some of the more aggressive bumps.

Handling wise, absolutely amazing with the setup. Comfortable enough for the freeway stuff, fun enough for the on / off ramps and twisty bits.

The only hindrance is interior storage is terrible. The rear seat pockets won't hold drinks, there's no rear center bin, the rear cup holders on the doors is laughable. Thankfully, having the pass thru for the trunk, helped a lot, as the rear passengers can store things out of the way, but still access without stopping the car.

Powerwise, more than enough to merge, pass, do everything you need to get around terrible Californian drivers.

Drove mostly in Advanced Efficiency, got around 35mpg, which I imagine is mostly from the gearbox dropping into neutral during areas that you could coast. Weird seeing the tach drop to idle rpms while you're doing 85mph.

Car does get a TON of head turns and nods. The Euro meet had people constantly taking photos. Not sure if it's because there's virtually little exterior bits to distinguish between the QV and base model unless you know what to look for, or if it's because the car is lowered. But, lots of "nice car", I'll take it, even if they think it's a QV and it's not.

Anyways, some photos I took of the tailgating side of the meet. The official show was less impressive than what people brought to the parking lot. Also meet up with a friend with a new Civic Type R in Champ. White... Didn't realize how white the Alfa white really is.

Nice rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also @Driven noticed your tow hook cover looks like it isn't secured well. Have had the same issue after every drive I take. Getting this fixed at the dealer currently and hoping a new fitting solves the problem.
Washed the car the other day after the trip. Noticed that the cover might be spring loaded? But yep, it doesn't want to stay closed. Fun. May bring it into the dealer for both that and the transmission shudder I still get.


And thanks for the compliments on the car's stance/wheels. It gets a lot of attention, oddly enough -- not sure if it's because of the stance or the rarity of Alfas.
 

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
Joined
·
806 Posts
passenger? What's a passenger?

Hahahaha, my thoughts exactly! I don't give a **** about 'comforts' for passengers, 'cos they won't be bringing food/drink into my car!
passenger? What's a passenger?

no food. no drink. no excess mass.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GAPF1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top