Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Though a link to the test is not posted yet on their website, Road & Track had a mixed review in their upcoming Mar/Apr magazine issue, where the choose the C63s over both the Giulia QV and M3 :-o

Not sure exactly how they came to that conclusion, but they had some negative comments on QV, which I am skeptical of. Has anybody else read the review yet? Are any of the comments accurate?

I'm on the precipice of buying a local Giulia QV that is available, but have stated a few concerns previously...and been immediately attacked for them (!), but I remain undeterred in my interest level.

The only thing I'm really struggling with now is a few missing but wanted features that I really need like fold down rear seats since it's going to be my daily driver. Speaking of which, they are offered on the Giulia Ti, but curious if they are available in Europe on the QV. Before anybody chimes in that they don't exist because they somehow compromise the structure of the body, let's just dispel that myth right up front.

Sorry for not posting screen images of the comparison review article from my iPad, but it's like 6-8 pages long. When a link becomes available on R&Ts website, I or somebody else can update this post.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Though a link to the test is not posted yet on their website, Road & Track had a mixed review in their upcoming Mar/Apr magazine issue, where the choose the C63s over both the Giulia QV and M3 :-o

Not sure exactly how they came to that conclusion, but they had some negative comments on QV, which I am skeptical of. Has anybody else read the review yet? Are any of the comments accurate?

I'm on the precipice of buying a local Giulia QV that is available, but have stated a few concerns previously...and been immediately attacked for them (!), but I remain undeterred in my interest level.

The only thing I'm really struggling with now is a few missing but wanted features that I really need like fold down rear seats since it's going to be my daily driver. Speaking of which, they are offered on the Giulia Ti, but curious if they are available in Europe on the QV. Before anybody chimes in that they don't exist because they somehow compromise the structure of the body, let's just dispel that myth right up front.

Sorry for not posting screen images of the comparison review article from my iPad, but it's like 6-8 pages long. When a link becomes available on R&Ts website, I or somebody else can update this post.
2 things:

1. You are very persistent passive aggressive troll, but I am starting to like you
  2. Boston is the city of champions 39 major sports world championships

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2 things:

1. You are very persistent passive aggressive troll, but I am starting to like you
  2. Boston is the city of champions 39 major sports world championships
That would be because I'm not a troll...sorry to disappoint! I'm just a very demanding buyer who hates to compromise on details. I can live without some creature comforts (no LED headlights, requirement to change R Compound tires in 5k miles), but my latest outrage is no fold down rear seats. How stupid in a sedan!!!

I made that same mistake with my first AMG E63. Major PIA! Can't go skiing without getting some sort of ugly Thule roof box, and I'm not even sure whether the Alfa can accomodate one. That is very problematic for me and my lifestyle.

Warming up to the car, but struggling with this specific inconvenience. The other deficiencies I can get over. I know you have several cars, so it's not an issue for you, but I am intentionally streamlining my life (down to a single car now, and may sell big suburban house to move into the city as kids off to college next year). Just trying to find a unique one size fits all hi performance car. Might have to wait for Stelvio QV...the successor to the Subaru TriBecca!

>:):laugh::grin2:

·
Registered
196 Posts
That would be because I'm not a troll...sorry to disappoint! I'm just a very demanding buyer who hates to compromise on details. I can live without some creature comforts (no LED headlights, requirement to change R Compound tires in 5k miles), but my latest outrage is no fold down rear seats. How stupid in a sedan!!!

I made that same mistake with my first AMG E63. Major PIA! Can't go skiing without getting some sort of ugly Thule roof box, and I'm not even sure whether the Alfa can accomodate one. That is very problematic for me and my lifestyle.

Warming up to the car, but struggling with this specific inconvenience. The other deficiencies I can get over. I know you have several cars, so it's not an issue for you, but I am intentionally streamlining my life (down to a single car now, and may sell big suburban house to move into the city as kids off to college next year). Just trying to find a unique one size fits all hi performance car. Might have to wait for Stelvio QV...the successor to the Subaru TriBecca!

>:):laugh::grin2:

He just cuts and pastes the same stuff over and over again, just boring..... blah, blah blah

There is such a HUGE difference from Bi Xenon to LED headlights (LED running lights come on it) I recommend you don't buy it because of that alone. I just took a vote of all Alfa owners and Dealers in the universe and we all voted that you will not be allowed to buy one. YOU ARE BLACK BALLED. The next thing you will agonize over will be the thickness of the carpeting and the weight of the gas cap....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
He just cuts and pastes the same stuff over and over again, just boring..... blah, blah blah

There is such a HUGE difference from Bi Xenon to LED headlights (LED running lights come on it) I recommend you don't buy it because of that alone. I just took a vote of all Alfa owners and Dealers in the universe and we all voted that you will not be allowed to buy one. YOU ARE BLACK BALLED. The next thing you will agonize over will be the thickness of the carpeting and the weight of the gas cap....
Dude, don't be such a hater. Allow another interested party to go through the buying process with respect to their own criteria, not just yours. Jeez!

BTW...there is a huge difference between regular bi-xenon and fully-automatic LED headlights, especially once you've gotten used to the amazing light show of Euro coded LEDs. Wonder if coding can unlock that feature on the Alfa like the BMW. Once you have them, very hard to give them up!

Reactions: AR1

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a Lexus IS F which also did not have rear fold down seats, never was it a concern or issue for me.
Do you do a lot of skiing down there in Texas?

·
Registered
418 Posts

They kind of dogged it in November so I'm not surprised. I guess I need to drive a C63s because I drove a C63 last month at NOLA and as I mentioned in a previous post it felt like it had a lightly loaded U-Haul attached to the rear in corners. I preferred both Giulia and M3 to the normal C63 on the track.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dude, don't be such a hater. Allow another interested party to go through the buying process with respect to their own criteria, not just yours. Jeez!

BTW...there is a huge difference between regular bi-xenon and fully-automatic LED headlights, especially once you've gotten used to the amazing light show of Euro coded LEDs. Wonder if coding can unlock that feature on the Alfa like the BMW. Once you have them, very hard to give them up!
You just keep posting the same crap over and over again. do you think any of us give a **** about you blabbering over and over again about LED lights, tires (BTW The same exact tires that came on the Ferarri 458 I owned a year ago) and the fold down seats? As far as I can tell you have never even driven one.

I bet If I go to an AMG forum you are posting crap there too.

I own 4 other cars all with LED headlights, from my point of view there is no huge difference in my ability to see or drive.

The biggest problem you are going to have is when you go to trade that dime a dozen BMW you have. I would wager that you are the put little or nothing down and finance for 7 years guy. Wait til they tell you that your car is worth 20k less than you owe. BMW Ms take a huge beating in value. The exotic car broker I buy most of my cars from has a 2016 M6 coupe 1300 miles all options 152k msrp I can buy for 85k.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They kind of dogged it in November so I'm not surprised. I guess I need to drive a C63s because I drove a C63 last month at NOLA and as I mentioned in a previous post it felt like it had a lightly loaded U-Haul attached to the rear in corners. I preferred both Giulia and M3 to the normal C63 on the track.
Honestly, as the owner of 4 successive AMGs, I'm not a fan of the new C63, primarily because I actually hate the new interior and user interface. I'm in the minority on this one, but find them to be awful to use compared to the old version of Command and I-Drive.

I accept that the car is not a direct competitor to the Giulia and M3. The only version I'd consider is the C63s Convertible solely as a luxury car for relaxed top down motoring to Cape Cod in the Summer, definitely not as a track type car at all.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You just keep posting the same crap over and over again. do you think any of us give a **** about you blabbering over and over again about LED lights, tires (BTW The same exact tires that came on the Ferarri 458 I owned a year ago) and the fold down seats? As far as I can tell you have never even driven one.

I bet If I go to an AMG forum you are posting crap there too.

I own 4 other cars all with LED headlights, from my point of view there is no huge difference in my ability to see or drive.

The biggest problem you are going to have is when you go to trade that dime a dozen BMW you have. I would wager that you are the put little or nothing down and finance for 7 years guy. Wait til they tell you that your car is worth 20k less than you owe. BMW Ms take a huge beating in value. The exotic car broker I buy most of my cars from has a 2016 M6 coupe 1300 miles all options 152k msrp I can buy for 85k.
Dude, I'm 48 years old, been retired for two years, and manage my own trust assets (self-made). You could not be more wrong about your assessment of my car ownership history.

If you're foolish enough to think buying a stable of highly depreciating cars makes you an expert, good luck with that one. Been there, done that, and learned my lesson many times over, long ago. Someday maybe you become enlightened too, or maybe not. Either way, frankly I don't care.

If you are not interested in my posts, do not read them, nor respond. That way we will both be happier. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dude, I'm 48 years old, been retired for two years, and manage my own trust assets (self-made). You could not be more wrong about your assessment of my car ownership history.

If you're foolish enough to think buying a stable of highly depreciating cars makes you an expert, good luck with that one. Been there, done that, and learned my lesson many times over, long ago. Someday maybe you become enlightened too, or maybe not. Either way, frankly I don't care.

If you are not interested in my posts, do not read them, nor respond. That way we will both be happier. Best of luck to you!
Its hard not to see your posts, you post in every thread

You lie about every thing, all you do is trash the Giulia on a bunch of other sites and talk about monthly payments, You are in fact the put little down and finance guy see proof below:

Just over $1,390 month. Slightly over $400 more than an F80, but guaranteed individuality, so that might be worth some extra, but not $400/month. That's just lunacy.

Lease rate is very high, even compared to a loaded Maserati Ghibli. Nice enough car when equipped properly, but Maserati really F'd up by putting the wrong engine in the Ghibli S. Should have been this Guilia QV engine. __________________

Yes, Fiat Chrysler. They are about $375-400/month too high, which is actually worse than I initially expected! Finance rates at banks are about 2% lower, so I imagine it can be leased for less privately too. Personally, I think the Stelvio QV looks even better than the Giulia QV, but the Giulia is still a looker.

Definitely not an Alfa Giulia QV unless you want to get screwed out of an extra $500/month for $150/month less equipment.
AW/Blk Full Ltr, loaded. Turner tune with Pedal Power Module, MPE w/CF tips, H&R Front Sway Bar, M Perf SS Pedals, Blk Grills w/M Tri-color Painted Slats (IND), BMCs, M CF Rear Diffuser, M CF Splitters (AW striped), M Front Lower Splitter (AW), LCI Tail lights, Euro rear fog light switch, E92 GTS M-Power E-brake handle, IND AW painted keyhole cover, and many coded on features.

The Alfa is a pretty appealing package, partly because it's new and different. However, objectively, as much as I am intrigued by the emotional aspect of the car, I keep coming back to how much more my existing F80 offers. It's hard to fathom that my 2015 car can still be more technologically advanced than a 2018 Alfa model. I'm really curious to know if the Alfa would still be as impressive of a handler with the same Michelin PSS tires vs the Alfa's Pirelli Corsa R tires.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Its hard not to see your posts, you post in every thread

You lie about every thing, all you do is trash the Giulia on a bunch of other sites and talk about monthly payments, You are in fact the put little down and finance guy see proof below:

Just over $1,390 month. Slightly over $400 more than an F80, but guaranteed individuality, so that might be worth some extra, but not $400/month. That's just lunacy.

Lease rate is very high, even compared to a loaded Maserati Ghibli. Nice enough car when equipped properly, but Maserati really F'd up by putting the wrong engine in the Ghibli S. Should have been this Guilia QV engine. __________________

Yes, Fiat Chrysler. They are about $375-400/month too high, which is actually worse than I initially expected! Finance rates at banks are about 2% lower, so I imagine it can be leased for less privately too. Personally, I think the Stelvio QV looks even better than the Giulia QV, but the Giulia is still a looker.

Definitely not an Alfa Giulia QV unless you want to get screwed out of an extra $500/month for $150/month less equipment.
AW/Blk Full Ltr, loaded. Turner tune with Pedal Power Module, MPE w/CF tips, H&R Front Sway Bar, M Perf SS Pedals, Blk Grills w/M Tri-color Painted Slats (IND), BMCs, M CF Rear Diffuser, M CF Splitters (AW striped), M Front Lower Splitter (AW), LCI Tail lights, Euro rear fog light switch, E92 GTS M-Power E-brake handle, IND AW painted keyhole cover, and many coded on features.

The Alfa is a pretty appealing package, partly because it's new and different. However, objectively, as much as I am intrigued by the emotional aspect of the car, I keep coming back to how much more my existing F80 offers. It's hard to fathom that my 2015 car can still be more technologically advanced than a 2018 Alfa model. I'm really curious to know if the Alfa would still be as impressive of a handler with the same Michelin PSS tires vs the Alfa's Pirelli Corsa R tires.
Dude,

You're crazy! Those are not lies. They are a true heartfelt assessment. I obviously like the car, but not the deficiencies, and there are many. What is wrong with that? The M3 is objectively a much better financial deal and IS more advanced on the features and interior quality offered. Think about it, the M3 was designed 4-5 years ago, whereas the recently launched Alfa is still lacking on features, but on par, and slightly better on some driving dynamics according to a few of the initial reviews, BUT with R-Compound tires. Let's see what reviewers have to say during long-term tests. That better mirror actual ownership.

One has to wonder how it will perform on the same MPSS tires that come on the M3 and vice versa. Personally, I will immediately remove the Pirelli Corsa track tires and replace them with the new Michelin Pilot 4s when the size for the Giulia QV are released.

This thread was started to share the R&T comparison test review commentary, and solicit constructive feedback, not fanboy defensiveness. Buy the Mar/Apr R&T magazine and read it for yourself. The reviewers are mirroring the same concerns and comments that I made days ago, yet the the R&T issue only came out yesterday. I'm obviously not too far off based voicing my initial concerns, before committing to the Giulia QV!

Now about your stalking my comments on the M3 forum where a bunch of us existing M3 owners are interested in the Giulia, but sharing similar thoughts/concerns, that doesn't make us haters at all. Many of us are in the analytical phase of if it is worth replacing our existing M3s with a Giulia QV. Only time will tell as more reviews are released and you early Giulia QV guys either praise or bitch about your own cars. We'll learn from you like a canary in a coal mine either way!

·
Registered
149 Posts
No folding rear seats on the EU Giulia QV either

3 main and only problems with my QV
- no folding rear seats
- no headup display
- no adaptive high-beam (the one that cuts out oncoming cars and was working perfectly on my former BMW F30)

Do I Care - h_ll no! ;-)

·
Registered
196 Posts
No folding rear seats on the EU Giulia QV either

3 main and only problems with my QV
- no folding rear seats
- no headup display
- no adaptive high-beam (the one that cuts out oncoming cars and was working perfectly on my former BMW F30)

Do I Care - h_ll no! ;-)
I have adaptive high beams, just go into settings>Lights>Auto High Beams

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have adaptive high beams, just go into settings>Lights>Auto High Beams
No this Auto high beams, what I mean is adaptive high beams (I believe they are illegal in the US)

you can see how a roller in front of the xenon projector is cutting out the oncoming vehicles and vehicles in front out of the high beam.
This works really smoth in reality

·
Registered
2 Posts
MC-- to own an Alfa means loving and accepting deficiencies and quirkiness, as well as the pleasures of driving something special, unique, and beautiful. If you are comparing features that, frankly, have more to do with iphone interface, LED lights, nav, folding split rear seats, and that crap that adds NOTHING to the driving experience, you are in the wrong forum. I do not recommend the Giulia for you. The AR dealer network will never be half that of what is BMW's today. You'll just never be happy. Do yourself, and us too, a favor-- remove any thought of owning an Alfa out of your imagination and move on. You have absolutely, without a morsel of a doubt, no knowledge of being an Alfa owner. And that will lead to a disastrous experience.

To come to an Alfa enthusiast forum and complain that an Alfa is quirky is, well, comical. It's kinda like, in a way, to choose to dine at a Sichuan restaurant only to complain to the chef that your food was too spicy-hot. Comical, don't you think?

·
Registered
288 Posts
No this Auto high beams, what I mean is adaptive high beams (I believe they are illegal in the US)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZbLSIdly2c

you can see how a roller in front of the xenon projector is cutting out the oncoming vehicles and vehicles in front out of the high beam.
This works really smoth in reality
That's pretty darn cool. Looks extremely helpful, hate when I'm driving down the road, especially in a poorly lit area, and someone in the oncoming lane blasts through with their high beams, resulting in me being partially blinded for 5-10 seconds until I re-adjust.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MC-- to own an Alfa means loving and accepting deficiencies and quirkiness, as well as the pleasures of driving something special, unique, and beautiful. If you are comparing features that, frankly, have more to do with iphone interface, LED lights, nav, folding split rear seats, and that crap that adds NOTHING to the driving experience, you are in the wrong forum. I do not recommend the Giulia for you. The AR dealer network will never be half that of what is BMW's today. You'll just never be happy. Do yourself, and us too, a favor-- remove any thought of owning an Alfa out of your imagination and move on. You have absolutely, without a morsel of a doubt, no knowledge of being an Alfa owner. And that will lead to a disastrous experience.

To come to an Alfa enthusiast forum and complain that an Alfa is quirky is, well, comical. It's kinda like, in a way, to choose to dine at a Sichuan restaurant only to complain to the chef that your food was too spicy-hot. Comical, don't you think?
Definitely willing to compromise, and have done it SO many times before, but the list of missing/omitted things is just kind of long. That makes it a little harder to ignore when you're already accustomed to certain advancements/efficiencies/features. The German's are much better at that, and probably always will be. They are masters of engineering, but the Italians are masters of emotion, and pressing both for more, provides better options for us.

What you're not considering is that Alfa and all car companies absolutely monitor these forums to see real time feedback. They gain insights from customer/buyer complaints. Being 100% honest about the things that are lacking or not working properly is the fastest way to getting them to improve their competitive product offerings. To ignore that is to accept mediocrity. Not sure about you, but I like seeing improvements. Without them, Alfa will fail in the U.S. again, and then where will you be as an owner?

Personally, I want to see Alfa survive and thrive. I want them to compete head to head with BMW M cars on even terms, and kick Audi, AMG, Jaguar, Lexus, and Cadillac behinds. We all benefit from a rapidly improving Alfa and competitive car market. How can that be a bad thing? Don't attack me for asking tough questions, attack the flaws/deficiencies and demand improvements. Alfa will listen if enough people ate raising issues.

Reactions: Verrilli

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's pretty darn cool. Looks extremely helpful, hate when I'm driving down the road, especially in a poorly lit area, and someone in the oncoming lane blasts through with their high beams, resulting in me being partially blinded for 5-10 seconds until I re-adjust.
It's beyond darn cool, it's freaking amazing! I already have my car euro coded on with that feature and so many others. Sadly, the U.S. DOT holds back a lot of these incredible features/innovations. They are already on most of the cars you can buy, but have just been disabled in the U.S.

The Giulia QV has adaptive high beams already, but the real question is if they can also be coded on like the BMWs. Not sure if that feature even exists on the Euro Giulia QVs. Hopefully, it does, and some of the civilian BMW coding boffins that come to the Alfa world can definitely figure it out. Trust me, many are already stirring on the M3/M4 Forum and interested in potentially entering the Alfa world. My advice is to make them feel welcome because it will only lead to cooler stuff for you Alfa owners.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts