Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my new QV Saturday and the dealership asked me if I wanted the road hazard tire & wheel coverage.

Wanted to know if anyone else got it and their thoughts?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Depends how the roads are near you and how prone you are to hitting potholes. For reference the tires are about each $275 for the fronts and $350 for the rears from tire rack. The dealers will charge you well over $1000 for a new wheel should you need one in a pinch, you can buy full sets of 4 wheels from Italy for ~$1500 but you’ll need to wait a bit. I hit one of my tecnicos and needed to get it fixed and between the new tire, mount balance and wheel repair was nearly $450.

I didn’t get it because I planned on getting a second set of wheels for winter tires which would have complicated the situation. If you’re in NYC you might seriously consider it.

I think most dealers give you 30 days from delivery to add it on if you want. You could ask if that’s true and see how she does for a couple weeks...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in NYC, and do plan on getting a set of winter's. I'll need to review the specifics of the plan with the dealership to estimate the cost.

They made it sound like it was $1500 for 5 years but that seems too good to be true if they are going to give you need tires and wheels up to 3 times a year.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well read the fine print. They get you on the details. NYC roads totally suck. The nice thing about the insurance in most cases is you don’t really care about cost so you can just take it to the dealership and they get the tires and wheels or worry about fixing it etc. One of the best wheel repair shops around is near me just North of NYC. Proformance. They unbent my wheel and you can’t can’t tell. Didn’t even have to paint it. They come highly recommended.

What wheels did you get? The technicos are forged and stronger and lighter to boot. I’ve seen some of the cast five holes actually break and would therefore be irreparable in those cases so I think the the tecnicos are probably better for bad roads...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the 5 hole dark.

Good to know about proformance. Going to need a place when I switch to winters

I'm going to read the fine print but if it really is 1500 for 5 years, I'm kind of leaning towards yes

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I got a 48 month package for an Audi S3 for $1300 with 19”s so probably $1500 isn’t unreasonable. They probably have tiers according to car valuation and rarely look into the actual wheels/tires cost.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good to know. I will definitely read the fine print on Saturday

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Got the 5 hole dark.

Good to know about proformance. Going to need a place when I switch to winters

I'm going to read the fine print but if it really is 1500 for 5 years, I'm kind of leaning towards yes
Is the selling dealer your servicing dealer? 1500 for 5 years and that is just wheel and tire. So more likely wheels right because you will need new tires and the tires wil also carry a warranty. the wheel coverage won’t cover you for parking mistakes I would think it is the blowout pot hole issues. So I agree if you live in a pot hole Mecca might be worth it or if you think it will happen once in five years maybe be better to just pay for the wheel and tire. I am surprised the 5 hole are so pricey but everyone wants them so demand i guess. They are composite or flow formed (I am no longer complaining that the dealer swapped out my 5 hole for dark tecnicos (as long as they work with ceramic brakes) because of the pictures of the missing chunks on the 5 hole)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Depends how the roads are near you and how prone you are to hitting potholes. For reference the tires are about each $275 for the fronts and $350 for the rears from tire rack. The dealers will charge you well over $1000 for a new wheel should you need one in a pinch, you can buy full sets of 4 wheels from Italy for ~$1500 but you’ll need to wait a bit. I hit one of my tecnicos and needed to get it fixed and between the new tire, mount balance and wheel repair was nearly $450.

I didn’t get it because I planned on getting a second set of wheels for winter tires which would have complicated the situation. If you’re in NYC you might seriously consider it.

I think most dealers give you 30 days from delivery to add it on if you want. You could ask if that’s true and see how she does for a couple weeks...
Is that a $1000 for the dark 5 hole or Tecnico?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
How do I get a set from Italy?

Well read the fine print. They get you on the details. NYC roads totally suck. The nice thing about the insurance in most cases is you don’t really care about cost so you can just take it to the dealership and they get the tires and wheels or worry about fixing it etc. One of the best wheel repair shops around is near me just North of NYC. Proformance. They unbent my wheel and you can’t can’t tell. Didn’t even have to paint it. They come highly recommended.

What wheels did you get? The technicos are forged and stronger and lighter to boot. I’ve seen some of the cast five holes actually break and would therefore be irreparable in those cases so I think the the tecnicos are probably better for bad roads...
I want to order an extra set. I can wit and will be willing to wait for offshore shipment. Thanks

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I want to order an extra set. I can wit and will be willing to wait for offshore shipment. Thanks
Yeah I have the second set from Italy sitting around waiting for winter tires. If I come across a good deal on rubber I’ll order them and have them put on.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yeah I have the second set from Italy sitting around waiting for winter tires. If I come across a good deal on rubber I’ll order them and have them put on.
How did you order from Italy. I want to get a set of of 5 holes as a spare. I looked at the tecnico and I saw 1300 on one of our vendor sites. I 18” five hole for 300 approx on one of of bigger alfa vendors on the forum but not the 19’s. Is that the place on eBay? They were only 5 hole not Tecnico. Honestly the 5 hole would be a swap out to appease me for a while but I am thinking that may not make sense anymore. After the Tecnicos got the Ceramic coating they have a real nice shine and look pretty rich.

What is the website?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I got the five holes from that eBay guy. You can contact him directly and he’ll give you a better price and maybe less shipping if you do direct transfer instead of PP but that may be more risky, his ratings seem really high and he seems trustworthy. He doesn’t seem to know how to properly fill out customs forms properly so me and a few others have gotten a FedEx bill to cover an additional $35 of some fee a few weeks after delivery lol.

I wanted to have one of each type for variety. I think after I flat spotted one of the technicos on a pothole I think it might have been a better idea to have a spare identical second set to swap out in emergencies but I like both wheels and having both is nice. I think he’s had technicos up too. They are technically much better wheels, excuse the pun, because they are forged in Germany by Fuchs.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I got the five holes from that eBay guy. You can contact him directly and he’ll give you a better price and maybe less shipping if you do direct transfer instead of PP but that may be more risky, his ratings seem really high and he seems trustworthy. He doesn’t seem to know how to properly fill out customs forms properly so me and a few others have gotten a FedEx bill to cover an additional $35 of some fee a few weeks after delivery lol.

I wanted to have one of each type for variety. I think after I flat spotted one of the technicos on a pothole I think it might have been a better idea to have a spare identical second set to swap out in emergencies but I like both wheels and having both is nice. I think he’s had technicos up too. They are technically much better wheels, excuse the pun, because they are forged in Germany by Fuchs.
You know I am actually leaning that way. I just got an email from Centerline. They have the 19” dark 5 hole 1995 for a full set. I think that might be the same place as i saw the tecnico for 1300 EACH. Can the eBay guy get the tecnico. Hate to say it but based on the price difference I am starting to like my tecnicos even more. Hat to spend 1300 for a spare. I wouldn’t mind having a spare tecnico either. I do think we are very careful of the parking issues. We could scrape the fin as well so we are real careful. We learned from our other car

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You know I am actually leaning that way. I just got an email from Centerline. They have the 19” dark 5 hole 1995 for a full set. I think that might be the same place as i saw the tecnico for 1300 EACH. Can the eBay guy get the tecnico. Hate to say it but based on the price difference I am starting to like my tecnicos even more. Hat to spend 1300 for a spare. I wouldn’t mind having a spare tecnico either. I do think we are very careful of the parking issues. We could scrape the fin as well so we are real careful. We learned from our other car
Sent you a PM with Fabrizio’s contact info. Better to ask the source to see what he can get you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the first time in my life I purchased the wheel and tire insurance. Bent two wheel and wrecked a tire. Covered the wheel repair and tire to the tune of $750. Half the cost back in the first 8 months. PA roads are crap. Car eating potholes everywhere this spring.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts