Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Meh. Hard to take their criticisms too seriously in light of what all has been said and written about the car. And Sam Smith's comment that Alfa left in the '90s because (in part at least) their cars "weren't that good" is nonsense. The S4 Spider and the 164, either 12V or 24V, were and still are great cars. It's so tedious hearing that trope repeated uncritically over and over.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Lol, I found steering a bit direct at the begining but now I love it and got so used to it that I almost crash every week with some rental car in first couple of miles:)
Alfa 164 was built on same platform as Fiat Chroma and Saab, I am pretty sure they loved the SAAB lol

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
I'm still waiting for Satch Carlson to weigh in.

Reactions: ferraripete

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The steering input on the QV is as accurate and responsive as my race car and better than my 997 CS steering input.....
I don't think these amateurs get it.....>:)

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
153 Posts
Meh. Hard to take their criticisms too seriously in light of what all has been said and written about the car. And Sam Smith's comment that Alfa left in the '90s because (in part at least) their cars "weren't that good" is nonsense. The S4 Spider and the 164, either 12V or 24V, were and still are great cars. It's so tedious hearing that trope repeated uncritically over and over.

Really, really starting to get annoyed this talk about Alfa not being reliable. Before my Quad, (which now has 4K miles with no issues), I owned the above allegedly unreliable 1994 164Q with the 24 valves 3 liter engine. I had that car for 15 years not once broke down on me. What about that engine, the most beautiful sounding engine ever. When I opened the hood, people flocked to stare.....man what a work of art. Before the 164 I had a Milano Verde. Again, not one issue in 6-7 years. Traded in for the 164. Before that a 1982 GTV6. Awesome car, never an issue. Before that a 1973 Spider and again never ever broke down. I just do not get it. What is it, have I being just that lucky?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Really, really starting to get annoyed this talk about Alfa not being reliable. Before my Quad, (which now has 4K miles with no issues), I owned the above allegedly unreliable 1994 164Q with the 24 valves 3 liter engine. I had that car for 15 years not once broke down on me. What about that engine, the most beautiful sounding engine ever. When I opened the hood, people flocked to stare.....man what a work of art. Before the 164 I had a Milano Verde. Again, not one issue in 6-7 years. Traded in for the 164. Before that a 1982 GTV6. Awesome car, never an issue. Before that a 1973 Spider and again never ever broke down. I just do not get it. What is it, have I being just that lucky?
That's a wonderful run of no incidents at all!
It would be amazing for any marques to be able to state those facts.....
Maybe you should play the lottery, or go indulge in Las Vegas.......:grin2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I still have a '94 164 Quad with 108k miles. It looks and drives like a brand new car, but it has been expensive to own. Actually, for a 24 year old car to only have 108k miles means it hasn't always been driven on a daily basis. That's only 4,500 miles a year on average. What I can say is that it is most happy being driven on a daily basis. It gets grumpy when I don't play with it for a long time. I had a '91 164L which was a daily driver dream and I drove it into the ground after 10 years and 267k miles. It could have kept going but it was no longer worth the cost of upkeep, which with an Alfa (or any premium car) is expensive. While the 164 shared the chassis platform with Saab, Lancia, and Fiat, it spent an extra 2 years being groomed after the release of it's siblings. It is by far the most polished of the group and has the most aerodynamic shape as well as the best looking. In fact, my 164 Quad goes 155mph with only 230hp compared to my Giulia Ti which goes 149 with 280hp.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
1991 164 s

Like other multiple Alfa owners, I scoff at unreliability claims....My 1991 164 S has 85000 miles and is a great highway cruiser....it's only issue is that it is FWD, so off the line, torque steer can be an issue, but on the highway, it is a dream...Great seats and leather everywhere...As far as maintenance, the timing belt (rubber band) can be the Achilles heel of an otherwise glorious V 6....I don't think I'll ever sell any of my Alfas...but I do need to drive them more....that **** Quad....

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Alfaholico

Beauties!! Where can we see more pictures?

Has anyone seen Jeremy Clarkson's test and drive of the QV on last seasons Grand Tour???.. He praised it and loved it, however he does have a soft spot for Alfa's.

I have a feeing its just "second nature" at this point for all of these editors and Vloggers to "jump on the Alfa have always broken" bandwagon without having any real substantial evidence to prove other wise, just because they heard that somewhere before..
I feel they should really drop that from their commentary and start fresh with we cant wait to see what Alfa brings to the table this go round.
Alfa's can't be be any more unreliable than Saab's have been. I love my Viggen but that thing is always in the shop....

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Yeah.....lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
When they are heaping praise on the AMG C63 for ride feel over the QV, and then using that as the touch point for most of the comparison, I knew it was fake news!

The C63 has a wicked power plant, but it is not anywhere near as true a sports car like the QV is.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When they are heaping praise on the AMG C63 for ride feel over the QV, and then using that as the touch point for most of the comparison, I knew it was fake news!

The C63 has a wicked power plant, but it is not anywhere near as true a sports car like the QV is.
C63 is really fast and sounds like a speed boat but AMGs never went well around tge corners, that thing feels so heavy

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Well said. They drool over ridiculously inferior cars like the VW GTI, and offerings from Audi and BMW. There isn't a car in the Giulias price range that is as good. The carbon fiber driveshaft, alloy shock towers, the brakes, the transmission, and the overall performance. These guys aren't biting the hand that feeds them.

Reactions: Rutlefan

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm still waiting for Satch Carlson to weigh in.
Is Satch stilled editing Roundel? I stopped subscribing a few years ago, after their changes removed some of my favorite columns.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This was an incredibly disappointing so-called 'review'. I remember when I used to read R&T back in the 60's and 70's, it was THE magazine for top-notch reviews and reporting. I used to follow Rob Walker's reports on Formula 1 events religiously.

These guys are so plastic they might as well be from Legoland. There really wasn't a review; it was just them repeating things they've heard others say, without any actual testing. I think they just wanted to say those things to appear as though they're one of the 'insiders' who say things like that. It had the exact opposite effect on me. They looked like a couple of kids pretending to be drivers/reviewers/journalists. Did any of those things they were complaining about happen to the car they were driving? What about the car they were actually driving? How about a genuine 3-lap review of THAT car; the one they were in, instead of sitting there trying to appear clever on camera.

Awfully bad form kids...not at all up to the heritage standard of R&T.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"it was the"
I subscribed from about 1970, until a few years ago when they moved to detroit and made the magazine large size - neither of which bothered me, but there had been such a downward slide by that point that it had become a big glossy mediocrity

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
"it was the"
I subscribed from about 1970, until a few years ago when they moved to detroit and made the magazine large size - neither of which bothered me, but there had been such a downward slide by that point that it had become a big glossy mediocrity
Are you speaking of Road & Track or Autoweek?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts