Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Let's face it, Road and Track will never ever talk about the issues associated with the BMW N20 engines from 2012 to 2014, where the timing chains snap and seize the engines.

I do not hear of any Alfa Giulia's in Italy seizing engines...I truly believe all these issues are simply software related issues nothing mechanical...

Also, it doesn't take much for the media either to start throwing the brand under the bus, Fiat's 500L had that issue with the transmission, consumer reports gave FIAT as a brand for poor marks. Just because of one issue that was apparently solved with software updates.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was a tough read.
Yeah, especially since it sounds like the author knows Alfa and really wants Alfa to succeed with the Giulia.

In some ways I sympathize with him - I'd love Alfa to succeed so that we have new and used ones on the market for years to come, but if it ever wants to sell more than the 3000-8000 cars per year that it sold during the 60's through the 80's, it needs to appeal to more than just the Alfisti. It needs to really try to please the mass market crowd - the ones that have been spoiled by BMW, Audi and Mercedes. These folks don't want to year, "if you have a problem, just come and see me, I'll take care of ya". They demand reliability and professional service.

On the other hand, he seems to be blowing the problem out of proportion. It's a bit early to be saying that the Guilia is doomed. We need to wait to see a scientific study like JD Power so that we get equal representation from those with good experiences. I still have hope.

Reactions: cyirush

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
BMW Fanboys on the take

MORE BS FROM A MAGAZINE THAT IS BEHOLDEN TO BMW AND MERC ADVERTISING DOLLARS.....2100 miles on my QUAD and the only problem is wiping the saliva from the jealous M3, M4, C 63 whatever owners off my glass......R & T can kiss my ass...

Thanks, D

·
Registered
437 Posts
We can't look at all of these reviews, and hand wave them away.

I love my Q4 and haven't had a single issue. I just think we all want the rest of the car community to see the same experience and enjoyment that the majority of us are having.

It just seems half a$$ed to me that you have a bunch of press vehicles that clearly have issues and not address them. Especially lazy if its just a software fix away.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Idunno if I'd lump this one in the same category. Just a clickbait title. Without a doubt people are definitely playing up on the Alfa equals issues.

Maybe I was lucky, but no car thoroughly redeems its many quirks like the 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia does. Ten minutes on any two-lane had me grinning like an idiot. Four hours on the epic backroads of southeastern Ohio had me considering rolling the dice on becoming a one-car household. I didn’t want to give the Giulia back.

The Alfa Romeo Giulia is not a rational choice. It’s the car that speaks to the five-year-old gearhead within who somehow needs to choose respectable transportation. It’s for the driver who needs a little excitement every morning – whether from the drive itself, or from the uncertainty of whether you’ll get out of the garage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Auto journalists are blowing a minor glitch out of proportion, failing to have any journalistic integrity in lieu of clickbait headlines
Giulias (either the 2.0 or the QV) have now had some kind of mechanical problem on almost every road test. Not to mention the #of owners on here whose cars have had engines cut out, stalled, gone into limp mode, etc.

Even if it's a minority of the cars, this is terrible PR, and far worse than Alfa's competitors.

Did the F series 330i or 340 suffer anything like the same number of problems while being road tested?

Did the M3 or the M4 break down at the track like Smith's QV did? Or the one Pistonheads tested?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've read through many different reviews - both good and bad. Yes, it does seem odd that Alfa didn't perform enough due diligence before handing off cars to the media. I'm not an Alfa fanboy, BMW fanboy, or whatever fanboy. I'm an auto enthusiast. I, too, want Alfa to succeed not only because I bought one, but because I think when one of these "boutique" manufacturers succeed, the whole automotive world gets a lift. Better competition typically breeds better products.

I've taken a leap of faith on my QV (sounds ominous!). This car has met and exceeded my expectations and I hope to retain it for quite awhile. As someone mentioned earlier, AR needs to be on top of the issues that we cannot ignore and address them immediately. Don't waffle - be proactive - have a CONSISTENT community presence.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can't blame the journalist here. The fact is, the car didn't make it though a lap in a major test/review. From what I read, the R&T tester would have loved to hail the QV, and sort of does in the beginning, but the fact is the car failed. If it hadn't, my guess is that it would have gotten a great write up.

And while we gear heads understand new model issues and software glitches and can discern between what is a minor issue and a major problem, the driving public can't - nor should they have to. Remember, the Giulia is being sold to people who just want a nice sedan. They can't articulate the uniqueness of the great steering and handling, they just know they like the way it looks and drives. When the car breaks down, they don't know why, they just know they can't drive, and apparently in many cases, can't rely on a solid service department at the dealership to get it back on the road in a reasonable time.

I love my LE 4C and had some issues with it that were resolved by Alfa to my satisfaction. And I love our QV, and with 2500 miles I have had small issues, all of which have been addresses or are being addressed by the dealer, and all of which others on this forum have had. But we are not the average driver, and that guy or girl will not understand that "it's just a software glich".

I think there has been some serious PR damage done and I'm not sure Alfa overcomes it and sell cars to anyone but we die hard enthusiasts.

But don't blame the press.

·
Registered
81 Posts
New model problems are a thing of the past for the vast majority of car makers. The issue with Fiat is the CEO is known for pushing out models before they are tested like other companies do. In the US, this approach simple doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Giulias (either the 2.0 or the QV) have now had some kind of mechanical problem on almost every road test. Not to mention the #of owners on here whose cars have had engines cut out, stalled, gone into limp mode, etc.

Even if it's a minority of the cars, this is terrible PR, and far worse than Alfa's competitors.

Did the F series 330i or 340 suffer anything like the same number of problems while being road tested?

Did the M3 or the M4 break down at the track like Smith's QV did? Or the one Pistonheads tested?
Journalists intentionally causing a "known" fault error isn't really breaking down. Also

^^ BIASED MUCH!?!!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Cliffnotes:

Sam Smith (author) is an emotional journalist who "has driven every expensive car on the planet" and "Alfa Romeo's reputation remains"

He levies some detail about the number of Alfa Romeo Giulias sold in the country. Then, he clearly has forgotten that math exists in relation to the bad press car they received:

1 car out of 1000 is .001% failure.

1 car out of 10,000 is .0001% failure rate.

He does rag on the Ford GT350 as a means of pacifying the Alfa Romeo readers. R&T was issued a limp-mode GT350 way back when.

Though, more math: 10,000 words AlfaBAD to 10 words FordBAD in the hit piece... He didn't pull off the un-biased smoke screen at all. He is a former Alfa Romeo tech from a prior lifetime. Comparing mechanical failures from decades ago is not even in the same ballpark as today's electrical gremlins.

Thanks Sam. We understand op-ed journalism: emotionally driven and light on facts. My car has been absolutely flawless on and off the track. Fly into Philly and we'll go for a ride since your's is broken.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
New model problems are a thing of the past for the vast majority of car makers. The issue with Fiat is the CEO is known for pushing out models before they are tested like other companies do. In the US, this approach simple doesn't work.
There are those who say he is known for delaying models that aren't ready.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd have to agree with most of the article based on posts on this board.

What I don't understand is there were dozens of articles late last year. early this year and not one complaint that I remember reading. What has happened in the meantime? And hasn't this model been sold in Europe for at least a year? You would have thought that besides Fiat working the bugs out, that the alleged problems would have surfaced by the European press.

My Q just turned 2,000 miles and been totally trouble free, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I was planning on taking her to the track later this year but I may hold off until things stabilize and some questions are answered. In the mean time, I have zero regrets, this is the best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Let me fix that for ya

Cliffnotes:
1 car out of 1000 is .001% failure.

1 car out of 10,000 is .0001% failure rate.
1 car out of 100 is 1%

1 car out of 1000 is ACTUALLY 0.1% or a 0.001 decimal representation

1 car out of 10,000 is ACTUALLY 0.01% or a 0.0001 decimal representation

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.