Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some bad news...my Giulia is no more. I was driving my brand new Quad on the highway when a lady merged into my lane, hitting the passenger rear of my car. It sent me across 3 lanes and into the concrete barrier. A few things to note:

This car is incredibly safe. I've never bought a car because of its safety features, but now I'm thanking Alfa engineers for how safe this car is. Every airbag went off. Every single one. I hit a concrete barrier at highway speed and moved it about a foot, and walked away with some bruises. Amazing. The curtain airbags were deployed, knee airbags etc. Could've been much, much worse.

This happened over a month ago, but I've finally gotten the payoff from the insurance company so I feel ok to post. I'm devastated about it, I had the car for exactly 17 days before this happened! Didn't get to drive it much either due to covid. The times I did drive it I absolutely loved it though! What an incredible machine. I had just received the Forza controller and a set of Tecnico wheels to mount winter tires on. Luckily I hadn't installed anything yet!

I've been really bummed about this whole thing, pondering whether to get another one. This was the perfect spec: Alfa Rosso with the Sparco seats and the carbon fiber package. I can't find any others on my online searches with these packages, so I might just wait until a 2020 is available with these specs. For now I have my trusty 4C which I still love and a daily, so I'm ok for cars. I just miss my Giulia!

If you're interested in seeing the end result, it's at an auction yard here:

I wouldn't recommend buying it :)

Tragic pics below.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that but glad you're ok.
You must have hit that barrier with some force; I've never seen a brake disc / rotor snap in half like that before.

·
Vendor
2,175 Posts
That's nuts, glad your ok! You can always get another one. ;) Snapped that brake rotor in half. Crazy!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
394 Posts
Wow, glad you are OK. Was it the Dakota that hit you? I assume it is the concrete barrier that did most of the damage. That really sucks. Again, glad you are alright.

·
Registered
'19 Giulia QV (Rosso Comp, Black/Red interior, Sparcos)
87 Posts
I saw pictures circulating the other week on IG of this wreck :( Glad you're okay! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to find a 2020 with the sparcos

·
Registered
'19 Giulia QV (Rosso Comp, Black/Red interior, Sparcos)
87 Posts
Oh really? Would you happen to have the link? I'd love to see it.
It was in a story from at least one of the different QV-specific accounts but I honestly have no clue which one and since it was a story i won't be able to find it now. But I think it was the same/similar picture to the one of the driver side rear quarter/bumper picture you embedded here

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Goodness me! Thankfully you are OK and unscathed. Glad the car although utterly wrecked, saved you from more serious injuries. Just wait and find another one to the spec you like and go for it. I would also recommend swapping those Corsas to something else more suited for all weather conditions, not that I am saying they were a factor. All the best.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Glad you’re ok, that must have been terrifying, but I guess you handled it well — no sign of a puddle in the drivers seat 🙂

Reactions: Erdem G

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yikes man. Glad all are ok. Sorry about the car, it can be replaced. Thanks for sharing your safety assessment. A little comfort for guys like me who don't know when to let off. Be safe!

·
Registered
2018 AR Giulia Ti Sport Q2, Alfa White / Tan, Performance Package
18 Posts
Yikes! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad you walked away relatively unscathed. Good luck with your search for a replacement.

Please tell me that the other driver stopped and waited for the police to arrive. Hopefully she had insurance too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yikes! Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad you walked away relatively unscathed. Good luck with your search for a replacement.

Please tell me that the other driver stopped and waited for the police to arrive. Hopefully she had insurance too.
Luckily she did, she had a massive dog in the passenger seat of a two-seater :rolleyes:. Insurance covered all of it, so we're good, I just wish I still had my car.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yikes.

If you have a head, you'll find a new hat to wear.

Take care.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wow! You know the Giulia has earned the highest safety ratings here in the US. It is an incredibly safe car.

However if you are still shellshocked, you might consider the Stelvio Quadrifoglio!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
:oops: Glad you are OK. That's the important part. Alfa keeps making these so go and get your new one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's a bad wreck, but thankfully you're ok. The car can be replaced you can not. Enjoy looking for your new ride.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It's terrible that happened, but glad you're okay and hopefully nobody else was seriously injured. Can't wait to see what you replace the QV with - I say get another one.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Some bad news...my Giulia is no more. I was driving my brand new Quad on the highway when a lady merged into my lane, hitting the passenger rear of my car. It sent me across 3 lanes and into the concrete barrier. A few things to note:

This car is incredibly safe. I've never bought a car because of its safety features, but now I'm thanking Alfa engineers for how safe this car is. Every airbag went off. Every single one. I hit a concrete barrier at highway speed and moved it about a foot, and walked away with some bruises. Amazing. The curtain airbags were deployed, knee airbags etc. Could've been much, much worse.

This happened over a month ago, but I've finally gotten the payoff from the insurance company so I feel ok to post. I'm devastated about it, I had the car for exactly 17 days before this happened! Didn't get to drive it much either due to covid. The times I did drive it I absolutely loved it though! What an incredible machine. I had just received the Forza controller and a set of Tecnico wheels to mount winter tires on. Luckily I hadn't installed anything yet!

I've been really bummed about this whole thing, pondering whether to get another one. This was the perfect spec: Alfa Rosso with the Sparco seats and the carbon fiber package. I can't find any others on my online searches with these packages, so I might just wait until a 2020 is available with these specs. For now I have my trusty 4C which I still love and a daily, so I'm ok for cars. I just miss my Giulia!

If you're interested in seeing the end result, it's at an auction yard here:

I wouldn't recommend buying it :)

Tragic pics below.

View attachment 100433

View attachment 100434 View attachment 100435 View attachment 100436 View attachment 100437
glad to hear you are ok. Looks like a bad wreck. I would buy that for $4-5k with no hesitation lol. Turbos and Seats alone worth that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts