Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Revving while in park

6K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Domex 
There are other modules updated during the infotainment update procedure. I don’t think the ECM is one of those, but one of the modules has to be the culprit. Maybe BCM?

It also shares the name. The Giulia engine’s name is F154 V6. The F154 is the 3.8L Twin Turbo V8.

I really think it comes down to the block of our V6 being derived from the standard F154. There’s lots of differences.

some differences I know about:

No flat-plane crank in our V6. From my understanding, the V6 is naturally a pretty unbalanced setup. Especially at 90 degrees. You need a cross-plane crank to account for this. Also, ours will rev lower, in part due to the above.

Our turbos are a single scroll design. This is due to the uneven number of cylinders per bank.

Our F154 V6 has a wet sump oil setup instead of dry sump

I’m sure there’s many more.

Based on all my reading, it's not a Ferrari engine. It's an amazing piece of engineering from Alfa Romeo that happened to be worked on by ex-Ferrari engineers. Yes it's the same parent company. Does that make it a Ferrari engine? I don't personally believe so. When Hyundai hired away the BMW M guy to work on their "N" cars, did that make the Veloster N a BMW M engine? No. As much as magazines like to call it "a California T with 2 cylinders lopped off" that's not the case. It's a different block that happens to share the same bore and stroke. (again, based on my reading - I'm not an expert but I trust everything I read on the Internet). Alfa is guilty of playing up the Ferrari relationship for this engine, but you'll find that they "strongly insinuate" but never flat out claim that it's designed by Ferrari or that it's build by Ferrari. You'll see phrases like "inspired by" for Ferrari blah, or build by engineers "with Ferrari backgrounds". personally I feel that all the Ferrari relation claims only reduce the credit that the Alfa Romeo engineering team deserve for what they accomplished with this engine. The only connection I remind people of when they ask about my car and Ferrari is "you know Enzo used to work for Alfa, right?"

But back to the original topic, I know that in the past I've revved past 3500 in neutral. I know there are a few parking lot instagram videos around that start off with someone yelling "rev it!" to me after I've given them a tour of the car. But that said, I've probably had at least one update since the last time I did that, so I'll have to try it the next time I'm in the car.
I believe the car was developed by Ferrari engineers. Chassis and engine. FCA owned Ferrari during this period of time.

I do know FCA currently manufactures the engine. I read that somewhere but can’t link a source atm.

IMO, since being sold Ferrari doesn’t want to be associated with Alfa. And vice versa for Alfa. They like to throw around the Ferrari DNA.

The Giulia QV is essentially a “budget” Ferrari 4 door sedan. You know Ferrari hates to have their name thrown around about a car that can be had for 75k.... or less.

I thought the QV was flat plane crank, and the only flat plane 6 in production. I am not certain, but the high lumpy idle and relatively low pitch sound vs rpm would seem to corroborate that.
Enjoy ;) :
(See f.i. page 16....)

Qiulia QV
See page 49 of the above linked document. It looks cross-plane to me.

I read the lumpy idle and the nice exhaust note can be attributed to the 90 degree angle (shared with the standard F154) and the inherently unbalanced V6. Some Italian character for sure. I love the idle of the QV. I found that most civilized V6s are 60 degree designs to deal with things like the rough idle and noise.

Apparently Flat-planes can work well with V8s because the cylinders firing can naturally balance the negative forces out.

I’m not an auto-engineer. But I did get really interested in the ins and outs of our F154 V6. These are just tidbits I’ve read and a few inferences I’ve made.

I'll see if I can find the reference, but IIRC, the 90^ V6 design is due to the cylinder deactivation.
It’s also the same V angle of the F154 V8.

This is where I attribute the “Cali T with 2 cylinders lopped off” comments. Many things have changed, but Ferrari engineers had access to manufacturing capacities and processes that would have made “lopping off 2 cylinders” much more efficient than designing a completely new engine from the ground up.

If they had designed the a V6 from the ground up, it likely would have been a 60 degree platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.