Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed my reverse lights and rear camera stay on a few seconds after shifting out of reverse. Brought it up to my salesman when I picked up my plates today and he said it's normal.. he offered to have me pull the car into service but I'll address it on the first service.

Build date 5/17 in my Ti Q4 so I seem to have dodged a lot of the other issues I've been reading about.

Anyone else ?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My rear camera is slow to switch off...haven't had anyone watch the reverse lights.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can change the settings for the Rear view Camera delay;

Rear Back-Up Camera Features To activate the Rear Back-Up Camera features, select “Settings” from the Main Menu of the Information and Entertainment System. Under “Driver Assistance”, Rear Back-Up Camera features can be selected: View Camera Delay Camera Guidelines Selecting “View” will activate the camera view on the display. Selecting “Camera Delay” will allow the camera view to remain on the display shortly after the vehicle is no longer in REVERSE, followed by the previously active screen.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
As a point of reference, A friend has a base Fiat 500, 2012 I believe. Just a few months ago he received a letter from Fiat that invited him to come into the Dealership to have his reverse lights delay (the time that it takes for them to come on) adjusted. As his car guy, he showed me the card and asked me what he should do. At first, I couldn't comprehend why there was a delay and how it could be adjusted. As an old-car-guy, I know, that with one of several methods, when you shift your automatic or manual transmission car into reverse, you complete a simple circuit to power the reverse lamps. Once engaged, it operates at the speed of electricity - really fast.
Well, obviously there is more to it, on this modern Fiat 500.
The following are only my assumptions, not information learned from the Dealership, etc.
Like most lamps on some "newer" automobiles, they (interior and exterior lights) are controlled by some sort of electronic control unit (ecu) or module (ecm), or body control module (bcm), etc. This would explain how the delay is controlled.
The next question that I had was WHY would you want any delay on the reverse lamp operation. The only answer that I can come up with is that they don't want the reverse lamps (on automatic transmission cars) to operate (for a split second) when you are shifting down from Park (through reverse, and then also neutral) into drive.
Last note, yes there is a delay on his car. It takes at least a full second, to maybe a second and a half from when the gear shifter is placed into reverse, before the reverse lamps illuminate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts