Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Brought the wife to the dealer to see my newly purchased QV last weekend. Too much snow on the ground to take ownership just yet and bring it home. However, I wanted to start the car and hear the engine. I had the car in either N or P (can't quite remember which) in both Dynamic and Race mode, but couldn't rev the engine beyond roughy ~3k RPM. I wondered if perhaps the ECM was still in 'Shipping or Delivery' mode, but the dealer indicated no and that the car's software prevents overrevving in this situation. Is that valid?

Thanks,

·
Registered
630 Posts
That's normal. Most modern cars are this way. Not sure if it's an emissions thing, a warranty mitigation thing, or what. But it's normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent - thanks. Tells you when I last shopped or purchased a 'modern' vehicle

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,062 Posts
Softwar taking it easy on new engine?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Back in the day teenagers and hooligans used to do "neutral drops" whereby they'd rev up their engine to redline in neutral and then drop the transmission into drive for laughs. It produced either a violent launch, a cloud of tire smoke and/or the transmission input shaft twisting off. Manufacturers didn't want to pay warranty claims for this customer abuse. So with the advent of electronic fuel injection, manufacturers were able to set a seperate rev limiter for when there was no load on the engine like when the transmission is in P or N. Today it's even easier because the transmission is electronically controlled also, so it's just a matter of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) communicating with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and other modules over the CAN-C bus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts