Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had a semi troublesome mostly annoying experience so far with my MY22 Veloce Q4. I've had a fair amount of warranty work already almost exclusively resulting in "software updates," also an amplifier being replaced and i'm on the waitlist for the entire radio module to be replaced (my infotainment wont work for more than 5 minutes at a time, yay me!).

After each "software update" I get a different car. One time the auto stop/start would never work. Now it always works. I get all these "over the air" updates for features that I fear may or may not actually help me. Having owned many a laptop over my lifetime I know that companies cannot be Trusted to act in my best interest, as "planned obsolencence" is a thing and eventually they're going to update my car to a slow painful software death.

Ok now to the question: Once I finally have a car that works the way they advertised and all the shitty parts are fixed, is there a way to cut off all communication with the outside world? I don't want to see another update. I want the car the way I want it for 15+ years. Hope I'm not asking for too much here. Weird I have to say it honestly.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Ok, so I've had a semi troublesome mostly annoying experience so far with my MY22 Veloce Q4. I've had a fair amount of warranty work already almost exclusively resulting in "software updates," also an amplifier being replaced and i'm on the waitlist for the entire radio module to be replaced (my infotainment wont work for more than 5 minutes at a time, yay me!).

After each "software update" I get a different car. One time the auto stop/start would never work. Now it always works. I get all these "over the air" updates for features that I fear may or may not actually help me. Having owned many a laptop over my lifetime I know that companies cannot be Trusted to act in my best interest, as "planned obsolencence" is a thing and eventually they're going to update my car to a slow painful software death.

Ok now to the question: Once I finally have a car that works the way they advertised and all the shitty parts are fixed, is there a way to cut off all communication with the outside world? I don't want to see another update. I want the car the way I want it for 15+ years. Hope I'm not asking for too much here. Weird I have to say it honestly.
I might be wrong, but my impression is the only OTA updates are related to the Alfa Connect function of the car which I don’t use/subscribe to, so I don’t care. Any other updates would require dealer action.

Do you think something different is happening OTA?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Ti AWD Nero Edizione Stromboli/Gray
331 Posts
😂🤣as I mentioned before with these updates as long the driver seat don’t eject i am not going to get acida over it is just the Alfa thing 🤷🏻‍♂️ In Italian there is a saying “ Donne e motori sono gioie e dolori “ it means “ Women and engines are happiness and pains”

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,267 Posts
I have received a number of screen messages about an update lately. Stop telling me about it already. Go and do it.

Reactions: Pippo

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I have to endure the snarky morons in the room when attempting to ask a simple question. For those actually trying to be helpful, I get several OTA update messages over time. I have no idea whether any particular update has any bearing on anything honestly. The intent of my post was the idea that once the car was perfect, I don't want to even consider the possibility of another software update unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to get prompted when I turn on the car. Nothing.

I might be wrong, but my impression is the only OTA updates are related to the Alfa Connect function of the car which I don’t use/subscribe to, so I don’t care. Any other updates would require dealer action.

Do you think something different is happening OTA?
I never subscribed to anything either, but I still get OTA messages requesting updates. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,088 Posts
I guess I have to endure the snarky morons in the room when attempting to ask a simple question. For those actually trying to be helpful, I get several OTA update messages over time. I have no idea whether any particular update has any bearing on anything honestly. The intent of my post was the idea that once the car was perfect, I don't want to even consider the possibility of another software update unless absolutely necessary. I don't want to get prompted when I turn on the car. Nothing.

I never subscribed to anything either, but I still get OTA messages requesting updates. I'm not sure.
I am with you on this. I do not want OTA updates. They are there to reduce Alfa's costs, not to improve your experience. I have a MY2018 so not my problem for now and I have no knowledge of what gets updated or how to control it.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Before you start calling people "morons" so far the only "OTA" update has been for the Alfa Connect cellular module, that's it, all of the other updates including the OS for the Infotainment system is still needed to be done through a wiTech tool or for the Infotainment system through a USB flash drive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're not a moron for ignorance, which you clearly are because I've got several updates of under 1MB over the short course of my alfa ownership. It's fine, we're different. Your experience is different than mine. I used the word moron because you assumed your experience was the only possible one, and somehow my very real experience with excessive updates was somehow inaccessible to your small mind and didn't produce a productive response. Stay out of my thread if you're not going to be helpful. I'm sure people would love to turn off communication with the outside world via a setting, if that were possible, and that's the point of what I'm trying to get at.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
as a past owner of many tamagotchis :ROFLMAO: I can assure that there are no other updates except for the telematic box for Alfa services. if messages annoy you - disconnect TBM module, there is no other way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You're not a moron for ignorance, which you clearly are because I've got several updates of under 1MB over the short course of my alfa ownership. It's fine, we're different. Your experience is different than mine. I used the word moron because you assumed your experience was the only possible one, and somehow my very real experience with excessive updates was somehow inaccessible to your small mind and didn't produce a productive response. Stay out of my thread if you're not going to be helpful. I'm sure people would love to turn off communication with the outside world via a setting, if that were possible, and that's the point of what I'm trying to get at.
The ONLY OTA updates the NA cars have gotten is for the Alfa Connect firmware.

This is a fact. If you’re not happy regarding this fact then that is YOUR problem and YOU need to deal with it.

If you want to stop the Alfa Connect updates and “disconnect your car from the outside world” then just disable the telematics module. There warranty implications though….

As for your little insults, pathetic. 😂

1 - 14 of 14 Posts