Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, title sounds more interesting that this request. I currently have the vehicle at the dealer because, among some other things, the "Possible Ice on Road" light has never come on for me. The dealer is trying to figure out why. The service department has been fantastic. Today they went out and turned on a bunch of vehicles, and it came on in none of them, despite being below 37. The tech now thinks it only comes on if it is 32 or below, contrary to pg. 55 of the User Guide which indicates turning on at 37--i.e. when the road can freeze. Beginning to think Alfa forgot to put sensors in a batch of its vehicles, and/or connect them properly. I know some of you on here have seen the light come on. If so, and you have and can take a picture, please post so I can show the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Until you asked that question I had never really thought about it but I don't remember ever seeing that warning on the dash over the winter. Its clearly hovering right around the freezing mark for me today and there is for sure ice on the road. I will check for the warning.

Are you sure its not something strange like you have to be driving the car as the temp drops from above 37 to below to be warned? I mean if you walk outside and its already below 37 or 32 does the car actually need to warn you there might be ice?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Until you asked that question I had never really thought about it but I don't remember ever seeing that warning on the dash over the winter. Its clearly hovering right around the freezing mark for me today and there is for sure ice on the road. I will check for the warning.

Are you sure its not something strange like you have to be driving the car as the temp drops from above 37 to below to be warned? I mean if you walk outside and its already below 37 or 32 does the car actually need to warn you there might be ice?
I can confirm it works in both scenarios, both temperature dropping from above 37 to below as well as starting the car at temps already below 37.

37 is also the correct temp for when the warning comes on, not 32 as the tech seems to suspect. I can grab a picture when I get in my car.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Mine works fine right at 5C-37F...I posted a picture somewhere on the forum....would do it again for you since it is freezing outside in DC but am waiting at terminal for my flight to Brussels:( first a large warning in central screen comes up then small indicator stays at the bottom area the whole time temp is below 37

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Mine has never come on, it seems like VERY few actually have the light come on based on what I've read ... it is not needed anyway, don't care!

Now that I think about it though, I think it was on when I drove my very first Giulia in Feb of 2017 though ... Lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine has never come on, it seems like VERY few actually have the light come on based on what I've read ... it is not needed anyway, don't care!

Now that I think about it though, I think it was on when I drove my very first Giulia in Feb of 2017 though ... Lol

My light has never illuminated this entire winter down to single digit temps. June 2017 build.
My car has had absolutely zero problems of any kind (if I’d even cal this a problem).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's software. I just have to wonder if some coding for the MY17s was removed/over looked/dropped off or something has they worked out issues. I have a MY18 and I can't say one way or the other if I have ever seen the Ice warning or not. I can say that on the one other car that I have that shows the temp and then tells you there may be ice my thoughts about seeing the warning are always the same- No $hit, it's below freezing, of course there might be ice.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can confirm it works in both scenarios, both temperature dropping from above 37 to below as well as starting the car at temps already below 37.

37 is also the correct temp for when the warning comes on, not 32 as the tech seems to suspect. I can grab a picture when I get in my car.
Thanks, a picture is much appreciated! Without one I'll likely get some other story. My thought is if this sensor is not there, other sensors may not be working. I doubt the ice on road warning is installed/activated by itself.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Updated with photo.

My car has been in the shop for the past two weeks, it's a 5/17 build. The loaner car they have me is a 11/16 build and I noticed that at 37 degrees and below the car has a yellow icon that comes up with a "Possible Ice On Road" warning. My car has never shown this icon or warning. I asked my service advisor and Alfa Care contact to look into this while it's already in the shop for a buzzing door panel and a high pitched noise coming from the HVAC blower motor when it's cold outside. I'll send a picture of the warning when I get in the car tomorrow morning. Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@;
Mine works fine right at 5C-37F...I posted a picture somewhere on the forum....would do it again for you since it is freezing outside in DC but am waiting at terminal for my flight to Brussels:( first a large warning in central screen comes up then small indicator stays at the bottom area the whole time temp is below 37
Thanks. Have a great trip to Brussels. Hope you got out before all the snow hit.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My car has been in the shop for the past two weeks, it's a 5/17 build. The loaner car they have me is a 11/16 build and I noticed that at 37 degrees and below the car has a yellow icon that comes up with a "Possible Ice On Road" warning. My car has never shown this icon or warning. I asked my service advisor and Alfa Care contact to look into this while it's already in the shop for a buzzing door panel and a high pitched noise coming from the HVAC blower motor when it's cold outside. I'll send a picture of the warning when I get in the car tomorrow morning.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Also interested to hear what your dealer says about the light in your car.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,735 Posts
Yeah, title sounds more interesting that this request. I currently have the vehicle at the dealer because, among some other things, the "Possible Ice on Road" light has never come on for me. The dealer is trying to figure out why. The service department has been fantastic. Today they went out and turned on a bunch of vehicles, and it came on in none of them, despite being below 37. The tech now thinks it only comes on if it is 32 or below, contrary to pg. 55 of the User Guide which indicates turning on at 37--i.e. when the road can freeze. Beginning to think Alfa forgot to put sensors in a batch of its vehicles, and/or connect them properly. I know some of you on here have seen the light come on. If so, and you have and can take a picture, please post so I can show the dealer. Thanks.
I presume that this is based on the outside temperature sensor, the reading from which is on the dash. Thus, it seems likely that either there is a way to turn the feature off or there is a problem with the instrument panel display.

Maybe the feature is turned off together with something else and is not explicitly in the menus? Maybe it's tricky like the not-so-clearly marked button on the end of the turn signal stalk that disables/enables adaptive cruise control?

Perhaps someone somewhere currently cold with it working could sit in the car a try pushing buttons to see it the indicator can be made to appear or disappear?

I tried strapping an ice pack over the temperature sensor on the right side mirror, starting the car and watching what happens: not a whole lot. It took quite a while to get a cold enough reading on the temperature sensor. I turned all kinds of things on and off, cycled through menus, etc and no road+snowflake symbol appeared.

I can also confirm that setting the clock to GPS time + 12hour is not sticky; it returns to 24hour on my car.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
My 2018 Ti hasn't ever indicated that I can recall, despite the definite conditions of there having been ice on the roads! I wonder if it's more than simple temperature, and maybe a combo of temp and humidity, or maybe temp and some traction parameters, like sensed slip? I dunno, but again, I don't recall having seen any dash indication even though it has certainly been cold and slippery.

Just to check, I ran out this morning to check. Definitely sub-freezing, dash showing 29º:

OT but relatedly, I wish the center binnacle display would show some more useful info than the three simple options we have.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, I can definitively say I have NEVER seen that snowflake symbol and I've driven when it's below zero degree F. Feb 2017 Build.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is what it looks like when I turn on the car when the temp is below 37, or if the temp drops below 37 while driving.

Attachments

Reactions: FNM
1 - 20 of 65 Posts