Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First draft: Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio - Engine Replacement Repository

With all the conversations going on across various thread, let’s try to centralize and gather relevant information about engine replacement (specific to QV, 2.9l V6).

If you had - or are in the process of - an engine replacement, please post below using the template. I’ll put the data together and update it as the thread develops.

For the sake of gathering enough relevant data, it would be a good idea to also get information about QV owners having experienced misfires and CEL (as they seem to lead to that issue), and QV owners having no issues (yet).

Please detail:
  • model
  • year model
  • build date (month/year from the VIN sticker in the door jamb)
  • mileage
  • gas used (91, 93, or else)
  • oil used (0W40 - 5W40)
  • tune? mods?
  • issues or not (and if they are still happening, and if possible describe the dealer attempts)

For those having experienced an engine replacement, please detail:
  • symptoms of the issues
  • mileage when engine replaced
  • how long since the replacement and if any issues happened since

Let’s do this.

·
Registered
285 Posts
  • year model - 2017
  • mileage - 19,435
  • gas used (91 or 93) - E-85
  • issues or not (and if they are still happening, and if possible describe the dealer attempts) - No issues.
  • Oil - 0W-40 Pennzoil
  • Tune- Ideal
  • Mods - Yes

·
Vendor
3,137 Posts
  • gas used (91)
  • No issues but there is a slight knock on start up that I am keeping my eye on or ear for that matter. I am planning to try to document it before my warranty is up. Some others have the same sound. We will see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Knock issue may be happening to many QV's. Sounds like chain hitting plastic tensioner arm, I really think hydraulic tensioner is not keeping oil pressure. This is my 2nd QV, first one had 50k mile and noticed the sound, and 2nd one is also doing the same thing. When I hear that sound, I just simply restart the engine, and noise goes away.

·
Vendor
3,137 Posts
Knock issue may be happening to many QV's. Sounds like chain hitting plastic tensioner arm, I really think hydraulic tensioner is not keeping oil pressure. This is my 2nd QV, first one had 50k mile and noticed the sound, and 2nd one is also doing the same thing. When I hear that sound, I just simply restart the engine, and noise goes away.
Yes, same issue. Ok, getting somewhere with this. Some say it's lack of lubrication in cylinder shut down bank. I want to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
  • year model- 2019 (04/19 build)
  • mileage- 6,600
  • gas used (91 or 93)- always 93
  • issues or not (and if they are still happening, and if possible describe the dealer attempts)-still happening with second engine, misfires/low compression on 3 cylinders. Dealer has done a carbon cleaning on first engine at around 4,700 miles. Did a carbon cleaning on second engine at 1,400 miles.

For those having experienced an engine replacement, please detail:
  • symptoms of the issues- low compression on cylinders 1-3 on both first and second engine.
  • mileage when engine replaced- 4,900
  • how long since the replacement and if any issues happened since- 4 months and 1400 miles after engine replacement same exact things are happening. Car is currently at dealer for our second issue with the second motor, has been there for almost a week and Alfa is not giving the dealer any direction on how to repair, very strange this time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think everyone should also say what oil weight their manual calls for. Seems to happen to the 5w40 cars a lot more often.
0W-40 is supposed to be used up to VIN 7581687 (which covers most 17/18) but typically my dealer is using 5W40 on mine despite being a 2018 (and the manual stating 0W40).

Hard to track how consistent the use of one particular oil over another across multiple service, especially if dealers make the call on their own.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think everyone should also say what oil weight their manual calls for. Seems to happen to the 5w40 cars a lot more often.
0W-40 is supposed to be used up to VIN 7581687 (which covers most 17/18) but typically my dealer is using 5W40 on mine despite being a 2018 (and the manual stating 0W40).

Hard to track how consistent the use of one particular oil over another across multiple service, especially if dealers make the call on their own.
Only use 0w-40 Pennzoil here.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia QV
18 Posts
0W-40 oil for both the old and new engines.
Blue smoke on cold start. Alfa Romeo of Seattle initially diagnosed it as a failing left turbo and replaced the turbo. When that didn’t resolve the issue, the PCV valve was replaced. The engine swap was the final remedy recommended by Alfa’s technical team. There were no mods done to the engine.

Engine replacement at 31,400 miles for the blue smoke issue. 2 weeks since the replacement and no issues (knock on wood) so far.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
19 Posts
Touchy subject, but it may not hurt to consider what modifications were made to the engine prior to it failing. Stock engines failing with 20k miles on them is one thing. Engines with a bad tune making it to 20k miles is impressive. Sometimes the stock tune is a bad tune.

Also note that I'm not speaking to the legitimacy of any engine failure complaint. I don't know enough about the platform yet to have a valid opinion on that, and certainly not enough about any of the specific cars to comment on those.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Blue Smoking out the tail pipe could also be from turbos letting small amount of oil past the seals. Build up of crankcase pressure can make this worse

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
252 Posts
  • 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
  • 43,000 (original engine)
  • 91 (shell 99% of the time)
  • 0W-40 oil
  • No engine mods or tune. Lowering springs and spacers.
  • Issues:
    • Since ownership began at 6,500 mi the cold start has always been “chattery”. Normally quiets down after 1 minute or so.
    • CEL #1- at about 11k mi after cold start. Software update rectified problem.
    • CEL #2- at about 18k mi on freeway after heavy throttle in “a” mode. Went into limp mode/locked in “n” mode. Software update rectified problem.
    • Differential whine started to make itself apparent at about 20k mi. Not resolved but not getting worse to my ear.
    • Radiator leak discovered at about 41k mi during belt service. Replaced under warranty.
    • Shortly after radiator replacement a whistle noise occurred under full throttle at 3rd gear or above. Air ducting at passenger side turbo was not fully seated. Corrected by dealership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
  • year model: 2019 Stelvio QV
  • mileage: 14,500 (I bought it used at 10k miles)
  • gas used (91 or 93): 93 only since my ownership
  • oil used (0W40 - 5W40) 0W40 at dealership when I bought it
  • tune? mods?: only a BMC air filter
  • issues or not (and if they are still happening, and if possible describe the dealer attempts): I got the car used from my local Alfa dealership a month ago and put a few thousand miles on it in that time with no issues other than a light metallic rattle sound that seemed to come from under the car when I'd first back out of the garage in the morning, and when I'd let off the gas at high rpms. It sounded almost like a loose shield type nose to me. The dealership said there was metal in the oil filter, Alfa is replacing engine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
  • year model: 2019 Stelvio QV
  • mileage: 14,500 (I bought it used at 10k miles)
  • gas used (91 or 93): 93 only since my ownership
  • oil used (0W40 - 5W40) 0W40 at dealership when I bought it
  • tune? mods?: only a BMC air filter
  • issues or not (and if they are still happening, and if possible describe the dealer attempts): I got the car used from my local Alfa dealership a month ago and put a few thousand miles on it in that time with no issues other than a light metallic rattle sound that seemed to come from under the car when I'd first back out of the garage in the morning, and when I'd let off the gas at high rpms. It sounded almost like a loose shield type nose to me. The dealership said there was metal in the oil filter, Alfa is replacing engine.
Damn they are just giving them out

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Here is a first draft: Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio - Engine Replacement Repository

I've spent some time searching the forum for threads about people having their engine replaced. I'm contacting via PM these users.

The users that are confirmed in this particular thread are in bold. I've opened the document to comment if adjustments need to be made, in case I need to correct.

Re-Stelvio, I think it would be a good idea to have Stelvio users too. Maybe we can create a similar thread in a Stelvio-specific forum?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is a first draft: Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio - Engine Replacement Repository

I've spent some time searching the forum for threads about people having their engine replaced. I'm contacting via PM these users.

The users that are confirmed in this particular thread are in bold. I've opened the document to comment if adjustments need to be made, in case I need to correct.

Re-Stelvio, I think it would be a good idea to have Stelvio users too. Maybe we can create a similar thread in a Stelvio-specific forum?
Really appreciate all the work you are doing. I am currently still on my second engine, it just has low compression and misfires. Alfa is being a bit smarter than to admit I need a 3rd new engine as that would really look horrible for them. I really believe this could be a class action lawsuit. This morning the dealer sent me a copy of their communication with the Alfa technicians in which the Alfa technician says that the 2.9 Turbo Quadrifoglio engines have problems with sticky valves.

I’m no mechanic but I believe sticking valves can lead to bent valve stems and compression problems. Compression problems lead to misfires. It’s possible that anyone who’s had misfires has what Alfa techs refer to as “sticky valves”. Sticky valves are just not acceptable, especially on engines with such low mileage. This is possibly class action worthy.

Any attorneys out there please give your opinion and message us if you can help.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts