Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am proud owner of Giulia QV for about 7 months now. Lots of fun, great car and most surely the most beautiful in its class (in my opinion).
After living with the car for a few months. Using it everyday going to work and around town. I can point out the positive and the negative things about the car.
Apart from a few quality issues, having to do with the whole car/platform being too new. Which I believe will be sorted out in a year's time give or take. The car is very special.

The biggest problem I have with it as a daily driver is the fact the car sits very low to the ground. I live in Barcelona and parking spaces here a limited. So anytime you get into the city you have to look for a car park, that's where things get tricky.
Getting the car in and out of low, high ramp parking spots gets very complicated and happened more than a few times that the front spoiler was not up for the task. Another issue is the limited leg room in the back seats if you carry people often or have kids.

So few months back I had the car in for service and the dealer gave me a Stelvio (Diesel) for a few days.
I have to say that car was great, even though it didn't have the power of the QV, the balance and control was 90% same as the Giulia. So I couldn't stop wondering how the Stelvio QV will drive like.

So few weeks back the dealer called me and said they are getting the Stelvio QV soon, (around December) so now I am really into getting the Stelvio. Haven't made up my mind yet.

So what would you Giulia QV owners would say/do?

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I would never own a QV Giulia because I live in Minnesota and need the security (and ability ti get out of my cul-de-sac) of AWD. I think a Stelvio QV would be amazing.

On the otherhand I was given a Stelvio while my car was being serviced and I wasn’t a fan. With the SUV height you really feel less connected and notice the body roll a lot more. Part of it maybe that I miss my sport seats: to me they make you part of the car even more than the low ride height. I imagine a stelvio QV being a tad lower, firmer, and having the great seats....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am a proud owner of Giuia SUper 150CV AT8 too
I was driving before (for last 4 years) a Ford Kuga 4WD
The driving position in Giulia is certainly too low but ... I like it
I have only a trouble versus the snow that is not so usual currently where I live
Said that ... for sure ... I have had the possibility to have a Stelvio ... no doubt: STELVIO
A car in which is combined together the sport approach and the care of driver

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
all those little practical/usability issues are why I'm waiting for the stelvio QV - I figure the performance will be way more than sufficient and I will have a car that will perform the 'car" functions better, with better outward visibility.
that being said, I've avoided driving the guilia as the "drive it and you will buy it" thing would probably happen to me. If I was going from the car to the suv, maybe that 10% performance difference would stand out every time I drove it.

some on the road dubai footage here, I liked it because I'm sloppy and end up on soft shoulders often haha

http://motori.quotidiano.net/autoemotonews/stelvio-quadrifoglio-2.htm

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
if the race mode AWD stuff on the stelvio quad makes it far less fun than the giulia QV, I really don't know what I'm going to do, maybe a giulia awd lusso sport for the wife and a hemi pick up truck?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
In my case the QV will share spring, summer, fall daily duties with my 911. In the winter my Jeep SRT will assure transportation in every condition, providing lots of performance.
Life is too short, why settle just on one car?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
In my case the QV will share spring, summer, fall daily duties with my 911. In the winter my Jeep SRT will assure transportation in every condition, providing lots of performance.
Life is too short, why settle just on one car?
Having multiple cars is a luxury some of us haven't reached yet ... haha

Although if he lives in Barcelona it might just not be practical to have more than one car

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
I had a loaner Stelvio. Good for what it is, but no Giulia. The thing that bothered me most was rearward visibility. Parking sensors are a must!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
For the ride height issue, what about something like this?

https://www.stanceparts.com

KW also offers a similar system. I believe a similar system is an order able option on some models of Lamborghinis. The systems lift the car up by about 50mm for a short period of time while the car is being driven slowly. It is suitable for dealing with driveway ramps, speed humps, curbs and the like. It is not suitable for dealing with deep snow and obstacles that might be approached at speed.

For the rear leg room issue try adjusting your driving position. I found the rear seat of Giulia to have plenty of leg room after I adjust the seats for the way I drive. I am 5'10.5" (179cm) tall. Reference AAA advice for best driving position: 12" (25cm) from sternum to center of steering wheel. This is a little bit farther back than most race car drivers sit, but they don't have airbags to worry about. Closer and the airbags don't work properly, farther back and you have reduced control of the steering wheel.

If you need more space to haul stuff once in a while, you can get a car top carrier or given your location in Europe you can get a trailer hitch.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
this is pretty funny - he's had the car for 7 months as a daily and knows what he likes and what he doesn't. I think he knows he lives in Barcelona too, and what he encounters there.

maybe his daily is his only - or maybe he as a f430, diablo, or 4c, all of which are slower around the nurburgring than a stelvio q.

he's driven a diesel stelvio, and found for his purposes the handling of that is 90% of his giulia q

maybe he'll change his mind, but it sure won't be because someone else has a jeep for winter, or someone else didn't enjoy the stelvio, or a frigging suggestion to adjust his seat to AAA recomendations and buy a trailer when he never mentioned cargo capacity as an issue.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I drove a Stelvio, and I thought it was pretty impressive. It's basically a taller slightly top heavy all wheel drive Giulia. I think of it as a tall station wagon version of the Giulia, which is what it really is. The engine, engine compartment, main suspension components, etc. are all Giulia. It's not built like an SUV at all, nor does it drive like one.

Greg

·
Registered
576 Posts
I drove a regular Stelvio Sport. It was nice but coming out of the QV felt it was a little too softly sprung. I liked it overall, but did feel it lean way more than I expected/wanted in the corners, and also much more than my GF’s X3. Torn on possibly getting a winter ride to save the QV from the abuse of Winter despite having a set of snow tires on it now.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
as with giulias, the stelvio Qv has suspension and drive mode/settings not offered in the 4 cylinder models.

I'm guessing for road use and speeds the biggest difference (other than simply sitting higher) will be the understeer induced by the transfer of power to the front - mentioned in one of the impressions in Race mode; perhaps they will reduce this before production. it's certainly been an issue for me in the waiting process.
of course these differences will be much more apparent at track speeds.

that doesn't seem to be an issue for the OP though, and his "issues" with the car (for his uses of it) seem much improved in the taller version.

as far as rear visibility, the giulia isn't very good either, but in the stelvio you know that the rear wiper (visible when seated) is pretty much the end of the vehicle. a brea styled rear window would have been better though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I drove a Stelvio, and I thought it was pretty impressive. It's basically a taller slightly top heavy all wheel drive Giulia. I think of it as a tall station wagon version of the Giulia, which is what it really is. The engine, engine compartment, main suspension components, etc. are all Giulia. It's not built like an SUV at all, nor does it drive like one.

Greg
I say, WHY!? I'm sick of those so called SUVs, useless vehicle

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
a giulia qv would be a far more useful vehicle if the back seats folded.

although not an issue in barcelona, the ground clearance for snow might be an issue in toronto - unless you decide your car is "useless" for certain months of the year, as some do.

·
Registered
235 Posts
a giulia qv would be a far more useful vehicle if the back seats folded.

although not an issue in barcelona, the ground clearance for snow might be an issue in toronto - unless you decide your car is "useless" for certain months of the year, as some do.
for 17 years I needed more clearance only maybe once or twice.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I don't expect you were driving a new giulia qv for 17 years.
an Alfetta - either model - has much more clearance, as does a new 4 cyl giulia, or most any 4 door vehicle.
Alfettas also sit higher, and have fairly soft suspension. great handling cars, but they don't corner as flat as a stelvio.

the giulia QV is quite a focused car, which is why it's so great. to pretend there are no tradeoffs for that performance is a little silly

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't expect you were driving a new giulia qv for 17 years.
an Alfetta - either model - has much more clearance, as does a new 4 cyl giulia, or most any 4 door vehicle.
Alfettas also sit higher, and have fairly soft suspension. great handling cars, but they don't corner as flat as a stelvio.

the giulia QV is quite a focused car, which is why it's so great. to pretend there are no tradeoffs for that performance is a little silly
I have been driving cars (sedans/wagons/hatches) all that time and never needed clearance. If I would live in some rural area far from city I would prob consider one but no need here in TO

1 - 20 of 33 Posts