Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ti with the 18-Inch x 8.0-Inch Dark Turbine Aluminum Wheels and the
225/45R18 BSW All Season Performance Run Flat Tires. I not a big fan of replacing tires every year, so what are the recommendations for a replacing these run flats?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
What do the OEM all season tires have to do with replacing tires every year?

You will have to be much more explicit about your expectations of the tires to get a meaningful response. You might also find the answer you want via "chat" on tirerack. They know the right questions to ask.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
225/45R18 BSW All Season Performance Run Flat Tires. I not a big fan of replacing tires every year, so what are the recommendations for a replacing these run flats?
I agree with lockem.
Which tire do you have?
The Pirelli or the Bridgestone?
Depending on your driving style, these may be the longest wearing tire (with a few exceptions) available.
On a similar topic, the August issue of Car and Driver magazine has a comparo of "Summer Performance Tires".
The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and Continental Extreme-Contact Sport came in a close 1-2.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Pirelli.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact Sport are Summer/3 season performance tires I use these on my Porsche, they are excellent, but if you need all season because of weather, they have a DWS version that can handle the freezing temps (with some compromises.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Definitely wouldn't recommend bridgestone potenzas. I had them on a 350Z back in the day. They wear in such a way that road noise shoots through the roof. They are great for selling cars because its hard to match their new tire feel, but that's about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hkfears,
if you live in Alabama, then you can run summer tires all year long. Auto manufacturers equip most new cars with some version of an "all-season" tire because they may not know exactly where the new car will end up. All seasons do most things well -snow/rain/dry/low temp grip. but all seasons are a compromise. Not as good as a snow tire in the snow. Not as grippy or responsive as a summer tire in the dry/wet. Not as quiet as a "touring" tire, not as good MPG's as a low rolling resistance eco tire.
I live north of you in North Craolina, and I run summer tires all year. on the rare days that it snows i do have a 4x4 to drive though, because summer tires are really useless in the snow. the other downside is that summer with tires treadwear ratings less than 200 just do not last as long. But my personal view on that issue is :why would you want a less grippy tire on your car longer? WORTH IT!!
Performance tires grip better, are more responsive, and often are slightly louder than stock tires, but I prefer a better handling car. Tirerack does not really sell a lot of crappy tires, so you do not have to worry about choosing poorly. My Ti with 19" wheels came with Potenza S001 RFT, and they are good.
The 2017 BMW M3 uses MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT. I'd say thats a good place to start.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
some cars came with pirelli and some with bridgestone for the run-flat's?

mine came with the bridgestone's.

which are better?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
mine came with Eagle F1's.. not hearing anyone got these :D (maybe i'm special!). Like mine a lot, no complaints.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
some cars came with pirelli and some with bridgestone for the run-flat's?

mine came with the bridgestone's.

which are better?

thanks
Opinions vary. Some like each, some dislike each. My P7’s are on track for about 30k right now, call it two years+.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just looked at my 2018 lusso build sheet and it says continental tires in the build equipment list. This the first I’ve ever heard of this (outside of bridgstone/pirelli). Anyone have conti’s? If so, which ones in these.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Just looked at my 2018 lusso build sheet and it says continental tires in the build equipment list. This the first I’ve ever heard of this (outside of bridgstone/pirelli). Anyone have conti’s? If so, which ones in these.
You are the first I heard of having a car with Continental tires.

I am sure there are others though.

How do you like them?

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
You are the first I heard of having a car with Continental tires.

I am sure there are others though.

How do you like them?

Thanks
I haven’t gotten the car yet. Currently have a ti sport with the dark hole 19s on pirrelis. Put my order around thanksgiving this year and it’s already build and in shipping status. I hear that can take months

·
Registered
35 Posts
hkfears,
if you live in Alabama, then you can run summer tires all year long. Auto manufacturers equip most new cars with some version of an "all-season" tire because they may not know exactly where the new car will end up. All seasons do most things well -snow/rain/dry/low temp grip. but all seasons are a compromise. Not as good as a snow tire in the snow. Not as grippy or responsive as a summer tire in the dry/wet. Not as quiet as a "touring" tire, not as good MPG's as a low rolling resistance eco tire.
I live north of you in North Craolina, and I run summer tires all year. on the rare days that it snows i do have a 4x4 to drive though, because summer tires are really useless in the snow. the other downside is that summer with tires treadwear ratings less than 200 just do not last as long. But my personal view on that issue is :why would you want a less grippy tire on your car longer? WORTH IT!!
Performance tires grip better, are more responsive, and often are slightly louder than stock tires, but I prefer a better handling car. Tirerack does not really sell a lot of crappy tires, so you do not have to worry about choosing poorly. My Ti with 19" wheels came with Potenza S001 RFT, and they are good.
The 2017 BMW M3 uses MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT. I'd say thats a good place to start.
New guy here (also from NC) and while the Michelin PSS is a very good tire I wore out two (expensive) sets inside of a year in 2017. One set very understandable as I did 4 HPDE and 2-3 autocrosses on them, but the other set chunked down the cord after one VIR HPDE and one autocross event in near perfect (high 60s) temps. This was in the car I just traded in on the Giulia (2013 BMW 335is) which is a heavy car but ... still. Both sets were from Tire Rack. My $.02.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts