Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

We are considering a 2018 Giulia (probably a TI Sport) to replace a 2008 BMW 335i with 100k miles on it that is starting to be a money pit.

One question is what experience have people had with repairs on the road? We tend to go on longish road-trips (NorCal to Southern Utah, Midwest, PNW, etc). Mr. Murphy will strike if given the opportunity. What has been people's experience in getting Giulia's repaired at a non-alfa place (i.e. Fiat dealer, other FCA dealer, or general shop) when on the road?

TIA - and sorry if this has already been asked. I searched and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Road service will take it to the nearest Alfa dealer if you break down. It's not different than any other brand. They are not going to service a in warranty new Alfa at a non-Alfa dealer (i.e. your RAM dealer). There are plenty of dealers so maybe you can plot them on a map if you're really that worried.

I'd be more worried about driving around in a BMW :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
The biggest issue is the distance between the dealers in the area traveling. PNW has dealers from Portland, OR north to Seattle. Outside of that there is nothing until you get to Northern Idaho or Boise, ID.

I believe Utah only has one dealer in Salt Lake City and good luck on the Midwest states as well.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"a money pit"

my wife called her 2008 328 a death trap after getting two recall notices a month ago, with no solution/parts available to repair.
its parked, we have a rentamustang (gt350's not available where we are), and the dealer cancelled the diagnostic it took a month to get, as they closed because of the storm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's for the replies, everyone. Some were even useful :)

The real question is, is there a cap on the towing. For example, driving across I95 in ND, and the HP coolant hose goes by by (It happened on a new 159 I owned in Australia). It's a LONG tow to Minneapolis (the nearest Alfa Romeo dealer - 425 miles). Are they still going to tow it? Anyone had any experience with roadside yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's ATXQUAD, I did LMGTFY already, and saw that. A bit suspicious since there was no 'cap on liability' in that towing statement. I did call one dealer here in the bay area and got a "good question, not sure" A call to another said "unlimited", a third said "125 miles." We go from no clue, to general statements, to a very specific number. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence on this one question. My only concern here is the limited service footprint that Alfa currently has in the US.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
When I last checked (July, 2017), Alfa USA "find a dealer" in Bridgeport, Ca came back with "no dealer available". I have a pickup truck and a flat bed car hauler trailer so if I need to haul the car from Bridgeport to Sacto I can do so without enormous expense; although the inability to put the car in neutral if the engine will not start is an issue with this plan. However, the Alfa USA webstie does not tell me if I go sight-seeing in the "back country" in eastern Nevada (only dealership is in Las Vegas) how I am supposed to cope. Cell service is spotty in those areas as well.

There is this nearly useless tool
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/find-d...ity=&state=&dealername=&vehicle=&model=&year=

It cleverly wants me to go to Fresno, which this time of year is 60% farther than Sacto. In fact according to Google maps the drive time to Las Vegas is the same as the drive time to Fresno (about 6 hours). Distances in the AR find a dealer website are by straight line instead of by road as well; Fresno is also farther than Sacto even in the summer. I guess I am supposed to hire the flying tow truck?

BMW dealer coverage of Nevada is not much better, although there is a dealer in Reno.

I figure I will carry an OBD-II reader and deal with other issues when they happen. In many areas of the west anything other than a domestic pickup truck or a Jeep will be a problem if the vehicle breaks down. Maybe a roll of duct tape and some bailing wire should be in that tool kit as well? At this time I am hoping that Alfa Romeo sales continue to increase so that dealerships in "remote areas" like Reno increases.

Beware of cell phone coverage maps, the wide area view is often grossly optimistic. For example in zip code 93517 on a state wide map Verizon and Sprint both show coverage of almost the entire area, but if you zoom in tight you will see that Sprint often does not have coverage where the roads are; they have coverage on the mountain peaks above the road. Verizon has a lot of holes in coverage in that area too, but has considerably more coverage of the road than Sprint. In other areas Sprint or ATT etc may have better road coverage than Verizon. Keep in mind that without cell service you cannot get online to find out where to expect cell service (is there an app for that?). Having emergency services is of little use if you cannot call for help. I may yet spring for a sat phone...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
We put 10,000 miles on our Giulia Ti Q2 in the first two months, drove from Los Angeles to Maine and back. No problems.

The roadside assistance that's comes with the car will take you to the nearest Alfa dealer, regardless of distance. I haven't had to use it with the Giulia, but have used it multiple times with my 4C. My wife is firm believer of AAA. Our AAA service is far superior to the Alfa Romeo Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank's lockem and RacerZ. I also agree about AAA, but that cover tops out at 200 miles. How was your experience with the 4C calls?

Lockem - well aware of mobile cover - my wife and I have two different carriers, which worked reasonably well in "National Park" country in southern Utah. Still lots of places without cover, however.

The OBCII reader isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Car gets towed to nearest dealer no milage cap. IF you're that worried just buy a Lexus or something else...oh wait you will have the same question. And the answer is the same--'to the nearest dealer'. They are not going to drive 200 miles and dump your car in the middle of the desert.

Last time you bought a car was a decade ago--things have changed.

Quit over thinking things, buy the car and enjoy your trips.

As straight forward as can be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely no Lexus :) The reason being that there are more Lexus/Toyota dealers around (less distance) than Alfa Romeo. So long as they will cover that tow (400 miles+ in some cases), I'm good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Definitely no Lexus :) The reason being that there are more Lexus/Toyota dealers around (less distance) than Alfa Romeo. So long as they will cover that tow (400 miles+ in some cases), I'm good.
Perfect...looking forward to shots of your new travel companion.

You'll love it, just watch your right foot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now comes the CFO negotiation, I'm hoping to get the QV, but my guess is that I won't get CFO approval for that :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Now comes the CFO negotiation, I'm hoping to get the QV, but my guess is that I won't get CFO approval for that :)
QV. Yes.

CFO. Gets a nice dinner out and gift before letting her know.

Non-QV's have limited towing distance ;)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thank's lockem and RacerZ. I also agree about AAA, but that cover tops out at 200 miles. How was your experience with the 4C calls?
In general, not good.
The actual worse case: My (4C) transmission failed. This wasn't the first time. The good news is they eventually wrote me a software patch that fixed it. I have 28,000 miles on her now and she's still my daily driver.

So, I called Alfa Care asking for a tow. I was halfway between my dealer and another dealer, about 8 miles either direction. They wanted to take me to the "other" dealer. Still on the phone, I argued that this was an ongoing case and my dealer knew the history and, it was only one extra mile. She eventually agreed to take my car to my dealer.

I waited with the car for three hours. When the tow truck finally arrived, it was a bumper-lift truck. A 4C is more kin to a Ferrari than it is a 1965 Buick and I refused. The lady on the phone said it would be two hours until they could get a flatbed truck to me. Mind you, I'm in the big city of Los Angeles. There's wreckers going in all directions, one every fifteen minutes.

Pissed, needing to piss, thirsty, and probably hungry, I finally remember that I'm a AAA member by marriage. (I was recently married then) I called AAA, who thanked me for being a 32 year member. Fifteen minutes later a shiny new AAA flatbed shows up ready to take me anywhere I want.

AAA has three levels of membership. The more expensive level is unlimited mileage. We have the mid-level of 200 miles.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The one issue I can see as more pressing is the runflats. With no spare, a plug kit and a compressor should be mandatory. Slime, no thanks...the plug kit will handle anything slime can without the claenup issues. Replacement tires may be few and far between...just saying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts